The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Indolent Corneal Ulcer

I'm going on 3 months now with a corneal ulcer that just won't heal. It is not infected and so far has stayed superficial which is good, but honestly, it looks just as big today as it did back in June when it started.

Horse has been awesome about treating but both of us are growing weary. Has anyone had a similiar experience with a good outcome? I keep thinking the vets must be missing something and there must be a key that could make this thing heal!

My horse had one from a hay poke. It was perfectly round and the tissue around the edges was raised which wasn't allowing the cells to migrate across the surface of the eye.

What the vet did was debride the surface of the eye. That started us off back at square one with treatment but it healed normally after that.

What I know most about indolent ulcers is that THEY SUCK. What are you treating with? Have you ruled out a secondary fungal infection? Has your vet scraped the eye? The tough ones that we've treated had a lavage system installed and were treated hourly alternating blood serum, antibiotics, Adequan and Miconozole (anti fungal). It's good that it's not getting worse--they can however take forever to heal.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Are you near Lexington? I can't speak highly enough or Dr. Latimer at R&R.

I should probably mention also that this is the third one in 13 months. So the horse has some sort of corneal disease going on. We've seen Dr Latimer, done debriding, done a keratectomy, cauterized it, treated with serum, treated with several different antibiotics, treated with antifungals. Cultures have come back clean so no fungal or bacterial infection. Now treating with EDTA but it has not made a difference.

Sadly I am wondering if euthanasia is going to be my only option as my resources are not unlimited.

I don't think euthanasia and disposal is that much cheaper than enucleation. Jingles for a complete recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't think euthanasia and disposal is that much cheaper than enucleation. Jingles for a complete recovery.
    Let me clarify, enucleation is not an option as he has this in both eyes.

I am trying to find the most humane solution...eye pain for three months is not something I would wish on my enemy.

Oh no, yeah that does make a difference. So sorry. My filly just spent a week at New Bolton with cellulitis and there were 8 horses there in her barn being treated for issues in one or both eyes including one from my boarding barn. They said it was a virtual epidemic right now.

Thanks. That is weird about the horses at New Bolton...any idea what is causing it?

I think it was flies causing them to rub in most cases. One was a foal still with it's dam.

We had a horse hospitalized at the clinic this summer with bilateral ulcers caused by eosinophilic keratitis. Treated her for then entire summer with antibiotics/serum/atropine/etc forever; apparently you have to hit it with immune modifying agents since it's an immune mediated condition, although the thought of putting steroids in an ulcer is a frightening one.
    Successful case study: http://www.weitzequine.com/eosinophilic-keratitis/

Systemic steroids or did the steroids go into the eye? Putting them into the eye sounds risky!

So sorry. My mare had an indolent ulcer (debrided pretty aggressively every few days by my vet, oral antibiotics, topical treatments 4x/day including serum through subpalpebral catheter), but the keratectomy fixed it. The optho at NC State thought it might be eosinophilic keratitis since it didn't heal with good management, but pathology didn't show anything.

She was pretty miserable during the treatment. I think with it in both eyes, and recurring after surgical treatment, I would have to consider euth unless someone could come up with a new treatment plan based on new diagnosis (like underlying eosinophilic keratitis).

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    I should probably mention also that this is the third one in 13 months. So the horse has some sort of corneal disease going on. We've seen Dr Latimer, done debriding, done a keratectomy, cauterized it, treated with serum, treated with several different antibiotics, treated with antifungals. Cultures have come back clean so no fungal or bacterial infection. Now treating with EDTA but it has not made a difference.

Sadly I am wondering if euthanasia is going to be my only option as my resources are not unlimited.
    Very sorry to hear this. But unfortunately it sounds like you've done everything right. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I had an enucleation done on my guy. He had a recurring ulcer. I actually put a fly hood on him so that the hay would not poke him and to keep it clean.

The vet would have allowed payments for the surgery. I ended up being fortunate enough to no go that route but talk to your vet. My guy is older (in his 20s) and has adjusted fantastic!!!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I had an enucleation done on my guy. He had a recurring ulcer. I actually put a fly hood on him so that the hay would not poke him and to keep it clean.

The vet would have allowed payments for the surgery. I ended up being fortunate enough to no go that route but talk to your vet. My guy is older (in his 20s) and has adjusted fantastic!!!
    The horse has problems with both eyes.

Default Jingles ~ laced with Strength ~ ((hugs))

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post

I have no issues with enucleation, but I actually have had more issues with the other eye. My guy has worn a fly mask year round since this started and it hasn't seemed to help much. He has worn a hard cup on the eye for the last month so he can't rub it. I get the feeling something internal is causing the ulcers, rather than something like debris in the eye.

Glad your horse is doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    So sorry. My mare had an indolent ulcer (debrided pretty aggressively every few days by my vet, oral antibiotics, topical treatments 4x/day including serum through subpalpebral catheter), but the keratectomy fixed it. The optho at NC State thought it might be eosinophilic keratitis since it didn't heal with good management, but pathology didn't show anything.

She was pretty miserable during the treatment. I think with it in both eyes, and recurring after surgical treatment, I would have to consider euth unless someone could come up with a new treatment plan based on new diagnosis (like underlying eosinophilic keratitis).
    Do you remember how long you treated it for, before the keratectomy? The vet was pretty positive that the keratectomy was going to be the answer but unfortunately there has been no change.

Glad your horse got better! I think eye pain is the worst.

Going through this now. My horse is 26 and Ulcer is about 3-4 months old. We've done, antibiotics, serum, scrapings, cornea repair drops, debraiding, etc. Vet comes back again this week and it's still clearly there.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu