The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NY Times Article on Drugs Ordered by Trainers not Owners

Anthony 'Tony' Soprano Sr.: If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them

Yeah... I was reading the whole article from the H/J perspective too.

Speaking as someone who paid for a lameness exam that never happened, my opinion is any owner who thinks the vet works for THEM and not the TRAINER is delusional.

It should not be that way, but it is.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

We need more investigative type reporting like this on our H/J sport.

I, too, read the article and thought, "Yup, welcome to H/J world." It was really taking DVMs to task more than anyone else. That seems to be a new spin on the issue, that's all. Other papers (e. g. the L. A. Times) already did the Big Reveal for TB racing and drugs-- complete with pictures of syringes.

It did explain, however, how DVMs get into this mess and I agree: The trainers are the gate-keepers. They determine how much a vet will make working for the bevy of owners they control. And therefore everyone seems happy if owners don't know much about what their horses are getting.

But! IME, vets have been very happy to speak to me-- the HO in the equation-- about my horse. Any of you guys ever feel stonewalled by a vet? Ever?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Traveling between Bloomington and the South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Speaking as someone who paid for a lameness exam that never happened, my opinion is any owner who thinks the vet works for THEM and not the TRAINER is delusional.
    ^ This totally. I'm also going to make an assumption (I've never been around race track barns so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me) that the race horse owners are not around as often as owners in other disciplines. It is a lot easier to make decisions that an owner may not necessarily approve of if they are not there for the vet appointments, seeing how the horse goes everyday, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

It did explain, however, how DVMs get into this mess and I agree: The trainers are the gate-keepers. They determine how much a vet will make working for the bevy of owners they control. And therefore everyone seems happy if owners don't know much about what their horses are getting.

But! IME, vets have been very happy to speak to me-- the HO in the equation-- about my horse. Any of you guys ever feel stonewalled by a vet? Ever?
    Yes. I was one of those difficult owners who asked too many questions and made it very clear that I would be participating heavily in the decisions regarding the care and treatment of my horse. It made for an uncomfortable relationship. I no longer use that vet or that trainer.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

I don't believe that the situation of most race owners is comparable to that of most h/j owners. Many racing TB owners rarely, or even never, see their horses, and when they do it's perhaps for a few minutes in the chaos of the paddock or, if they're lucky, in the excitement of the winner's circle. And unless the owner is the trainer, they are never going to be riding the horse or having physical contact with the horse while it's in training at the track.

Racehorse owners are also used to regular, large vets bills, and they might not even be paying the bills directly themselves if they have a bookkeeper taking care of their accounts.

This is not to say that racehorse owners shouldn't take responsibility for what their trainers are doing to their horses, but sadly many are not horsemen and the well-being of the animals is not their first priority. I'd like to believe that most people are into horse showing because they love horses (though maybe that's naive).

It was a good article, and it does seem like the racing industry better get its act together if it wants to survive, but I didn't see where it had that much relevance to the h/j industry, except perhaps at the highest levels where people are willing and able to turn a blind eye to generic "medication" charges on their bills.

I have seen drugging in the stables at shows, as in horses getting IV injections shortly before going to the ring, and it doesn't seem like people seem too worried about hiding it.

"The Times reported that since 2009, 3,800 horses had tested positive for drugs, the vast majority for illegal levels of prescription drugs. Many veterinarians and trainers say these test results are mistakes, not attempts to cheat."

Interesting that they don't say if it was the lab's or the trainer's "mistake".
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I don't believe that the situation of most race owners is comparable to that of most h/j owners. Many racing TB owners rarely, or even never, see their horses, and when they do it's perhaps for a few minutes in the chaos of the paddock or, if they're lucky, in the excitement of the winner's circle. And unless the owner is the trainer, they are never going to be riding the horse or having physical contact with the horse while it's in training at the track.
    Personally I think the racing world is by far getting an unfair target on it by the NYT--racing owners not only are largely hands-off, the sport's ALREADY regulated. You will get tested, and eventually if you're doing something you WILL get caught. And there WON'T be the sort of rules lawyering we even get on threads here about the difference between "illegal" and "testable" under the rules.

I'm not saying H/J needs the kind of oversight racing has (which it has because it's a gambling sport with public money involved) but as long as there's the sort of wink-wink acknowledgement of sharps containers in barns and arguments that it's BETTER for a horse to be aced so they have a 'positive experience' and punishments are short suspensions rather than long bans or huge fines, trainers are going to get away with things. Especially when clients accept "vitamins" or "medicines" on a bill without questioning what it is, or it's even a point of debate what you do when you've got a trainer injecting horses and saying "It's a secret formula!" and expecting that to be cute and funny.