The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeches for non-"stick" legs?

Hi all. I had a horrible time trying on breeches the other day at my local tack shop : ( They would fit in the waist and in the rear but the thigh area was way too tight for me on almost every pair. I have muscular thighs and am within 15 pounds of my ideal weight. I wished the tack store had had a liquor license because I was so ready for a cocktail by the 10th pair that did not fit. The ones that fit the best (not ideal but better than most) that I ended up getting were the equine couture coolmax champion side zip. Fit wise- Tuffrider low rise ribbed breeches also work OK for me but I would like something a little nicer. Any other brands/models that would work for someone like me? I prefer good value for my money and durable. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have big legs too and always found Ariat to fit pretty well.

If you can find them, Grand Prix breeches are great for curves.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I have big legs too and always found Ariat to fit pretty well.
    I tried some ariats that day but none of them worked (not sure of the particular models tried).

I have large thighs and, er, bum. I find Ariats to be the best fit for me as well, and the front zips better than the sides.... I like the Circuit Pro best. For schooling quality (and cheap), the Tuff Rider, esp. the Sigma breeches, are stretchy enough to fit and be comfortable, though not exactly flattering.... as they are clingly and show everything.
    I don't get a great fit from Tailored Sportsmans, as getting them large enough to fit over my curves results in too much fabric (wrinkles and bulky) in the lower legs and large waist.
    Show clothing shopping can be frustrating for those of us with curves and non-stick legs. I emphasize!! Good luck.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

No suggestions, but try not to get too bummed. I have the "stick" legs part down, but get frustrated when not a single pair will zip around my hips and butt. Maybe if we mixed and matched out body parts we'd have better luck?!
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I have large thighs too and what works for me are Ariat Pro Circuit and All Circuit breeches. I did just purchase a pair of FITS Beka breeches after trying them on and being happy with the fit, though I haven't ridden in them yet.

Good luck in your search. Perhaps you can do as I do and take a flask with you while breech shopping.

If you tried the Ariat Olympias they are definitely cut for skinnier legs. The other models (all circuits, pro circuits, heritage) are more generous

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post
    Good luck in your search. Perhaps you can do as I do and take a flask with you while breech shopping.
    This is a good idea. To make it even worse, new boyfriend was on the shopping expedition. Fortunately, he was able to entertain himself reading horse books (he might be a keeper!). I wish someone made a "relaxed fit" breech for those who are not stick straight. Interestingly, I just did my first event today and bought a photo, my thighs looked long and lean. However, most breeches made me look like I had sausage legs. I will continue my quest.

What I do is buy Tailored Sportsman (or whatever brand you want, but TS are easy to do this with) that fit me in the thighs but maybe are big in the waist, then I take them to a tailor who I trust fully and let them take in the waist so that it fits me everywhere. That little triangle in the back of the TS is exactly what that's for, and then you have zero gapping issues.

I'm petitie and curvy with muscular thighs, and I find the Ariat Pro Circuits and the Dover Riding Sport side zips are the best fit for my shape.

Actually, almost all of the Riding Sport breeches seem to fit me pretty well, but the side zips fit like they were custom made with my measurements.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I am very surprised OP that you liked Equine Couture best, these for me are the WORST in the thigh!! They would be SUPER tight in the thigh, so much so that I have troubles with the crotch sitting too low (not being able to pull them QUITE all the way up) and yet the waist would be SUPER loose.
    I really like my TS breeches. Not sure what kind they are but no matter how my weight may fluctuate they always fit perfectly!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I hear you! I can't wear TS--I have athletic thighs and a warmblood-like behind, and they always are too tight in the knee area/thigh.

I like the Ariats, but the FITS Beka breeches are my new favorites! You need to realize that the waistband does NOT stretch, however. The material hides a multitude of sins, the gusseted crotch is genius, and the tummy control panel really, er, pulls it all together.

I wear 12-14 in Levis/slacks/etc. and the large size FITS work quite well.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I am very surprised OP that you liked Equine Couture best, these for me are the WORST in the thigh!! They would be SUPER tight in the thigh, so much so that I have troubles with the crotch sitting too low (not being able to pull them QUITE all the way up) and yet the waist would be SUPER loose.
    You have to make sure to buy a size up from TS in the Equine couture, or else they're too tight since the fabric isn't really giving.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    I really like my TS breeches. Not sure what kind they are but no matter how my weight may fluctuate they always fit perfectly!
    Well its true that the Equine Couture's I tried did fit the best. Maybe they differ by the model?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I have athletic thighs and a warmblood-like behind
    LOL! Love this. I definitely match my horse (who has THE ultimate warmblood behind)
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

AllEars--My paint and I have similar behinds, very, um...round and muscular! Whenever I have had to horse shop over the years, I always reminded my trainer that I need a horse who can match my build, no skinny-arsed, wasp-waisted, delicate flowers for me!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I love Trainer's Choice. You don't find them in too many tack shops but they have a site www.trainers-choice.com. My legs are large and these breeches fit well. Many options - side zip, front zip, low rise, etc. My favorites are the Rene and the Champion.

I totally hate trying on breeches as the TS do not fit at all and Ariat maybe but my high instep prevents me getting them over my foot!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    You have to make sure to buy a size up from TS in the Equine couture, or else they're too tight since the fabric isn't really giving.
    I couldn't have gone a bigger size in the equine couture as the waist was already WAY too big but the thighs were still CRAZY tight.

I love my FITS Bekas. I'm size 14 Levis right now and I wear XL in the Bekas, fit perfectly. They clean really well too.