The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you get dogs legs into a tee shirt?

I just got a new little shelter dog that is not at all what I wanted or needed but she just captivated me and tugged on my heart strings so I brought her home. She's a little Shar-pei/probably terrier mix about 35 lbs and about 10 ys old and no hair coat at all. Very sleek and way too short to be the barn dog I needed. She's definitely a house dog that needed a forever home and I had 'sucker' written all over my forehead.

Anyway, it's down right cold in the mornings here-about the 40's to 50's so when I take her out to the barn in the morning she can only stay a little while. So I figured I'd go get her a couple of doggie blankets. I head over to Pet Smart and I got her a raincoat and another warm fleece blanket but both have leg holes for her front legs. One velcro'ed up the back and the other down her belly. I tried to get her into it and there was not way she was going to put up with that. I'd get one leg in, start to work on the other leg and next thing I knew, the first leg was out. Those will go back tomorrow. I did get her an acrylic sweater that buttons on and I can get that on her for the time being.

I have an order ready to go into Big Dee Tack for a raincoat and 2 blankets, one being a cute Baker plaid and the other a nice nylon one with fill. No damned leg holes in either-like horse blankets sort of.

So even though I'll probably take the rain coat and other blanket back that have legs on them I'd love to know how you get a dog into them.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Depends on the dog. Our bichon had no problem with them, besides giving us a good Go To Hell Glare. For one that's less into it, I'd fuss over the dog while you sneak the sweater onto their leg. Big scritchits, praise, treat, take it off. Repeat, leaving it on for increasing longer periods. Work up to the whole sweater on the dog for short periods of time.

My sister's Doberman was the coldest dog I've ever seen. She'd lay next to the heating vent and still be shivering. She got a fleece jacket that she had on pretty much 24/7 Nov-March, and her bed was a big old comforter that she got tucked into at night.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I know a dog (a terrier) who hates velcro, will turn into a badger when he hears it. Maybe if you took her to the barn without anything on, gave her a good chance to get cold, then took out the sweater and offered to put it on her, she'd figure out that this wasn't just you being a pest. I'm aware this sounds a bit far-fetched, but I suspect a smart and/or freezing dog could figure out the connection quickly.

Sorry we cant help without picures!

My boxer practically lives in her blankets/coats all winter. She HATES them and while she now lets me put them on, she does everything she can to get them off, then stands there shivering and practically begging me to put them back on...I've resorted to duct tape a few times!

As far as getting them on, she got lots of treats and praise, I also learned to be quick about slipping them on and doing them up!

It took some practice, my girl was a rescue and was not treated well at all, from her reaction to them I doubt she'd ever been near one, never mind worn one. It took time but now she just stands there and glares at me. (then turns herself inside out to get it off! The little twit! lol)

My co-worker has PJs for her greyhounds.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by godiva13 View Post
    Sorry we cant help without picures!
    It's rather funny that I worked for Eastman Kodak for 31 years and the camera I do have doesn't have any film in it. Sorry, don't hold your breath waiting for a picture. I guess I'd better go find some film.

The last roll I used (35mm) had pics on it from '07-12!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Stick head in, then stick your arm thru one armhole, cup one front leg by the bent ankle and slip up and back thru the hole
    Then next.
    Every short haired dog we had, dobies, great dane, italian greyhound and rat terrier, learned that at times, in the winter, getting a coat on is what it takes to go out the door when people put coats on, so they are patient about it.

I prefer those coats that go over the head and then velcro or somehow tie around the belly anyway.

My daughter's JRT has figured out that to be warm in the winter, He needs to wear either a sweater or his blanket. I have made fleece dog coats that slip on over his head and velco to the other side.

also I have knit him a sweater which he loves!

I don;t ever remember his putting up a fuss, but he may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Stick head in, then stick your arm thru one armhole, cup one front leg by the bent ankle and slip up and back thru the hole
    Then next.
    This is what I do Except mine is a Boston Terrier so I only have to stick a couple of fingers through the leg hole to hook a paw to thread through... fortunately not a whole arm!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Smile Thanks for all the suggestions and help

I'm seriously thinking about taking those blankets back and ordering a few from Dover that look like horse blankets. It's what I had for a previous dog and hooking it up was not a problem. Unfortunately the one I do have is way too big for this little girl. She's only about 35 lbs and he was ~ 80 lbs if I remember correctly.

But, please, do continue to come up with suggestions. I do have a sweater that I can get on him as it buttons on both sides so all I have to do is slip it over her head and then button the sides. No messing with pulling paws through.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post

StG
    WANT.

My Yorkie had sweaters for the odd occasions when it got super cold. He HATED them. Seriously, the same little dog who normally did happy dances all over the house when the leash came out had to be dragged outside if he had his sweater on. I truly think he was embarrassed.

Bluey described it how i do it, too. Head leg leg. It's much harder for the dog to get out of the first leg hole when his other front leg is held up, getting pulled through the jacket.

Good on you for taking in an older special needs type girl. She definitely got an upgrade!!

After a majorly stupid grooming attempt, on the steep incline side of the learning curve, I found myself running to the petstore for an article of dog clothing that offered the maximum coverage, in order to hide my shame (or, my new dog's shame....). I've mentioned this before, i know, but it really was *that bad*. Anyway, I came home with this http://www.dukeandfritz.com/images/p...s_lovemeII.JPG
    it wasn't thick enough to really offer much in January (i guess more like a stable sheet), but it worked for the two weeks that i had to use it. Seriously, he looked like he had been experimented on. With waxing strips.
    Last edited by bits619; Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Link

StG
    Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    WANT.

DITTO

StG
    Serious cuteness! I'm now trying to figure out if there's a reason to have my golden retriever wear pj's.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about taking those blankets back and ordering a few from Dover that look like horse blankets. It's what I had for a previous dog and hooking it up was not a problem. Unfortunately the one I do have is way too big for this little girl. She's only about 35 lbs and he was ~ 80 lbs if I remember correctly.

But, please, do continue to come up with suggestions. I do have a sweater that I can get on him as it buttons on both sides so all I have to do is slip it over her head and then button the sides. No messing with pulling paws through.
    I ordered http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...oat-3877p.aspx recently for my girl and it's due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.

BTW, you must look at the small version of this blanket that they show on a llaso apso (I think) because it's enough to make me want a small, short-coated dog.

I had the sweaters with leg holes for my mini aussie when she was a pup(about 5lbs when I got her). I got these pretty cheap at Walmart. I put them on as Bluey described. When she was full grown she graduated to the horse blanket type. She has an assortment of "weights" as she goes to the barn with me almost everyday. She has two medium to heavy weights and one fleece. I am thinking about getting another fleece one and a sheet weight. (handy to have a change when one gets all dirty and needs to be washed). I figured with the sheet type I could layer over a fleece coat if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
    I ordered http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...oat-3877p.aspx recently for my girl and it's due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.
    I have that and the fleece. Plus side it is waterproof. Downside it is very, very stiff. Supposed to have some fill -I think- but it is really more of a shell. I layer the fleece underneath for the walks in very nasty weather which really limits range of motion.

The Smartpak fleece is the go-to, mobile enough for playing and curling up inside, and 75% of the time I can leave the old man in it and come home to him still in it. 25% of the time he'll get one leg over the velcro chest closure and gets stuck like that til a human intervenes.

I find the "horse blanket" style dog coats tend to slide sideways off the dog and constantly need to be pulled back into place, and/or they come off easily (when you don't want them too) especially if they have front velcro closures. Front velcro closures = dog will regularly re-appear naked and if you're lucky you'll find the coat abandoned somewhere or stuck in a bush.

The best design for dogs, in my experience, there's a hole for the head and then a flap that goes down between the front legs and covers the chest and then the flap comes up and fastens to the sides of the coat near the flank- with this design, it's easy to take on and off but doesn't come off accidentally and it stays put on the dog. There are many brands that are taking up this design, here are some examples so you can see what I mean:

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=168

http://www.ruffwear.com/K9?sc=2&category=12