The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Not too far from the center of the political universe

Default Ring fees for outside trainers?

Enjoy all thoughts on ring fees for outside trainers in the mid-Atlantic. Facility has outdoor and indoor rings if that matters. What are the variables and what do people charge?
    Last edited by hunter.pleasure; Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: left out clause

In my area, the smaller training barns (i.e. ~10-20 horses) that don't have resident trainers often don't charge ring fees. Their philosophy is that it is a small enough group that ring time is easy to manage and they want to encourage training, not make it more difficult or more expensive.

Many of the larger barns with 40+ horses don't allow outside trainers since they often have several resident trainers. The ones that do allow outside trainers charge around $15 as a ring fee. This generally makes the lessons expensive enough that few people bring the outside trainers in. Either that or they move when a spot opens up at the smaller barns.

My barn does not charge a fee for MY outside trainer. Though, being completely honest, my trainer is a FANTASTIC guy and previously trained at the barn I am at now.
    However, the BO does charge one of the other boarder's outside trainer. I want to say its about $15. I think the boarder pays it - so $70 for her lesson paid TO the trainer, then $15 separately to the barn. If I'm correct, it is included in her boarding bill (or at least billed on the same bill). She does two lessons a week, and if she ends up not lesssoning, she texts BO that she didn't lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    My barn does not charge a fee for MY outside trainer. Though, being completely honest, my trainer is a FANTASTIC guy and previously trained at the barn I am at now.
    However, the BO does charge one of the other boarder's outside trainer. I want to say its about $15. I think the boarder pays it - so $70 for her lesson paid TO the trainer, then $15 separately to the barn. If I'm correct, it is included in her boarding bill (or at least billed on the same bill). She does two lessons a week, and if she ends up not lesssoning, she texts BO that she didn't lesson.
    That would bother me a tad.

Here they don't charge boarders since they already pay for the facilities. If an outside student wants to use the rings for schooling, I believe around here its about 15-20$/hour/horse

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post
    That would bother me a tad.

I believe it's because this trainer is known for creating a lot of havoc, in and out of the rings. But it's not my business so I keep move along

My barn charges a ring fee if you haul in for lessons, or if you haul in with your own trainer. It's a fairly small fee and I think it's fair, especially if you're hauling in with another trainer or not to lesson.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.