The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pricing throughbreds

I have a really nice TB filly in for training, around 15.2 and growing, beautifully bred, whose owner has decided she is too" small" to race (really?) and wants to make her into a hunter. Owner tends towards delusions of grandeur most of the time and is sure this filly will make a wonderful conformation/small/ junior hunter. I doubt she is going to remain small as she is pretty butt high now but beyond that she is pretty, but I do not think top conformation, decent mover but not a 10. We have hopped her over some tiny things just to see what she can do and she is showing the correct mechanics-I only have her for a short time and despite owner pushing me to get her doing courses already, I think she needs to be turned out for the winter to grow, and get the race training she had out of her brain.
    Anyhow, I was curious to what kind of prices are being reasonably asked these days for something like the above. Owner is probably going to want something outrageous but I need a base to bring her back to earth!

I've not seen many thoroughbreds priced over 10k and honestly when you can pick up thoroughbreds off the track or from a rehab program for a dime a dozen that are equally as lovely I would say a high price is not likely at all.

I think it depends where you are. Where I am, racetracks are closing and you hear of a lot of free thoroughbreds. The really nice ones (big, blingy etc) are sometimes fetching $2k.

The two most recent purchases of thoroughbreds (one never raced) were $250 and $800. The one for $800 included shipping from Florida to Canada Both horses within a few weeks are now auto changes, jumping courses and one of them is certainly a quality 3' hunter type.

I have a thoroughbred who has multiple champions in the 3' adults and 3'6 owners at A rated shows. I have been offered mid 5 figures. It IS possible to get decent money for a thoroughbred, but they need to have performance results where as many warmbloods can fetch high prices without them.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

She would. bring more as a foxhunter after a couple successful seasons 5-8K.

Perhaps 5K if she showed well locally rated; to get more, you'll have to spend more to prove her talents.s

Unfortunately, you are competing against the New Vocation, Mid-Atlantic Canter, and several other TB retraining programs ---

By examining those in your target market area this will give you a better answer and one in black and white you can present to your owner.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I spent the summer trying to sell my TB. 16.2, decent show record, safe for anyone. I was amazed at the number of people who called/emailed and then decided not to consider him because he was a TB. I even had people come try him and decide that although they liked him, they didn't want to 'take a chance' on a TB. (I'm not advertising - I did eventually find him a new home - as a lesson/show horse in my trainer's barn!)

I think you will be hard pressed to sell her for more than the CANTER horses go for, since she's (currently) smaller, no show record, not jumping around yet, etc. In our area (midwest) you would be looking at under $2k to even get people to come look at her.

To be clear, I think it's a shame - she sounds like a nice filly! Best of luck with her!

I'd say $500
    The market for 15.2 anything is small, let alone green (-$), and Tb (-$).
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Green, no show record, maybe jumping cross rail or small verticals at home and not full courses(which I agree she should grow some) but I'd say your looking at 1k.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

15.2 is not too small for racing.

I have one in my string -- chestnut too!
    Shes made 39,6 this 2012 (3-1st 1-2nd 2-3rds)
    114K over 5yrs
    Sound!, reasonably sane , shes got great conformation for a *small* horse --

Shes too big for the polo people

So, I told her she just has to be a good racehorse.

Any reason she cant keep racing for a while?
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I agree with you guys that this filly, though a real nice prospect, it not worth a bunch of money as is and even in a year or so, unless she goes out and wins a bunch and proves herself a packer, not going to get much more. Shame really!
    I don't know why the owner has this idea she is too small, maybe the trainer told her she was too slow! Ha, I will keep working this kid and try to find a way to break the news gently that this filly is not going to be the retirement fund!

How old is she? You didn't say.

Tha Ridge took the words out of my mouth. If she is two, she has a better chance of growing a bit more. If four, she may grow, but it's a lot more hit or miss.

I would price her between $1000-1200, and be prepared to hang on to her through the winter. We just bought a nice 16.3hh heavy boned 6yo gelding who is a good mover and extremely laid-back. We paid $2000 for him. He's already been let down and ready to go, and has a very old, very set bow. Your client's filly may not have the bow, but she has her current height and her gender going against her. Not many people are looking to take a chance on a horse going into the winter, so if getting her moved is mandatory, $800-1000. You might explain to your client that he or she will be investing more money in training and board through the winter, so it might be more cost-effective to price her very low and get her moved on.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

There are a lot of horses like this for free. There are also plenty others overpriced at $3500-5K, and then some that will sell for $2K and under. I agree that without show experience and results to prove her value, she is realistically worth only about $1-2K. 15.2 is quite small in the hunter world, but definitely not too small for a TB filly racehorse, so I don't get the "too small to race" thing. TBs can fetch serious money as hunters but only with extensive show records, wins, etc. Without that, most people won't even look at a TB. Sad but true.

The last one we sold about that height, with a bit of post-race training, a sweetheart, but not the best conformation, we got $800. We bought her for $500 a year or so earlier, so with upkeep, didn't make a dime. The last two we bought of a similar height, no post-race training to speak of, were $1000 and $1100. And the $1100 mare had earned $160k & equalled a course record at the track & had good blacktype up close in her pedigree, so had some residual value as a racing broodmare.

At some point after that, we've gotten a couple 16.2+ mares at no cost & paid $1300 for a 3rd.

I think the problem for the owner will be that no matter how good of a deal you might give him/her to train this filly, the filly will not increase enough in value to make the investment a smart one, on the owner's part. [I meant that not as a comment on the quality/price if your training, but solely a comment about the market for even for a nice 15.2 TB mare.]
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

I would move this trend to the eventers. They seem to appreciate the beauty, strength and heart of this wonderful breed that haapened to kick off so many other breeds.

Nice things can come in small packages. H/J's seem to have gotten to rich for the base person.

There are some TB owners out there who have fantasies of their racing culls selling for the big bucks as potential show horses. Wanting more than $2500 tops is just delusional. Sadly, most racing owners and trainers have little idea of what qualities actually make a nice riding/show horse and also fail to recognize that most of a show horse's value is in the training/show record, and in the case of a TB (the market being what it is) the horse is often valued at something less than all the training that has been put into it. For example, I could buy a $0-1,000 TB off the track or pre-track--big, decently pretty, sound, and put six months of training/board/vet/farrier into it (for simplicity let's say a cost of $6K ish) and then unless that TB was something really special, it probably would be worth $2-6K. Let's say I was lucky and got it winning at local shows over the first year, maybe I would get $10K, but my investment still would have been approx $13K (1K purchase price plus 12 mos. board/training/shows).

A reasonable price for this filly would be free to no more than $1K. To put it in perspective, I can tell you I wouldn't personally take her for free. My $2500 top price would be for a big, sound, attractively conformed horse with outstanding movement, jump and temperament.

I adopted my TB gelding from New Vocations for $400. He's a very nice horse and I feel very lucky. With some more training/lessons/whatnot he's going be the horse of a lifetime, I believe.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!