The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

When she was 2...right from her racing trainer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s_picture2.jpg

If that's weedy...then I'm also a super model.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Perhaps less useful to YOU because you won't buy a smaller horse, but that doesn't make them "less useful".
    No kidding. I get a little tired of hearing people suggest that TB breeders need to breed bigger, fatter, slower, trendier, whatever for their "post-race" career. In an ideal situation, they won't HAVE a "post-race" career beyond "making more little racehorses." Why would they want a slow-maturing giant who's going to suck at racing just so he'll look prettier in a sale ad?

Besides, 15.3 is pretty damn big. Unless you're really above-average height (like model-range out of the norm) you really don't NEED a 17.1 giant. Most of these teeny hunter women on 16.2+ behemoths look ridiculous.

Oh, and Quality Road was so little he had a hard time fitting into the starting gate.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    No kidding. I get a little tired of hearing people suggest that TB breeders need to breed bigger, fatter, slower, trendier, whatever for their "post-race" career. In an ideal situation, they won't HAVE a "post-race" career beyond "making more little racehorses." Why would they want a slow-maturing giant who's going to suck at racing just so he'll look prettier in a sale ad?

Besides, 15.3 is pretty damn big. Unless you're really above-average height (like model-range out of the norm) you really don't NEED a 17.1 giant. Most of these teeny hunter women on 16.2+ behemoths look ridiculous.
    Seriously.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    HAHA! I didn't want to say it, I'm so glad you did! I think it's the same mentality that people have with their SUV's as well...they feel large and in charge in them. It's an illusion, not reality.

I saw a newbie at a show on a giant 17hh TB this summer. I was embarrassed for her. He was dragging her around the ring and she looked utterly exhausted. She was very proud to have a TB, and she told me she picked him because she "looks stupid on small horses"... I'd guess that was her last show - she looked absolutely miserable. Too bad she didn't pick a horse for suitability!

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    GREAT shots! Who is that?

So many people buy into the bigger is better theory. It's a pity for them, because it really is not so. I love my 15:3 stocky boy..People see pictures and think he is huge, no he just has a lot of substance.

To each his own. I don't mind a 15.3hh if they are stocky, but much prefer the 16.2-16.3hh range. My mare is actually a bit big for my preference. Each horse is different, some ride huge at 15.3 and some feel like you are riding a pony at 16.2. I don't think you can make sweeping generalizations that people who want big horses are just trying to make a statement and feel "large and in charge". Each horse is different and you have to judge the athletic ability of the individual.

My weedy and delicate 2 year old filly: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ene2-4-12g.jpg

Another weedy one - all 17 hands of her and only 3: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...s/SANY0008.jpg

And her dam (excuse the weird angle!):
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Ardent/103.jpg

Another weedy 2 year old, also 17h:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ssOakhurst.jpg

Weedy 17h gelding who is also very "hot"- another homebred:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...itron10_05.jpg

Another hot, weedy homebred eventing:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...linor20052.jpg

Just off the racetrack at age 6 - anothr 17h homebred who is now in training to be an eventer:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y/SANY0081.jpg

and one of his many win pictures:
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ey/Scan001.jpg

As you see, I could go on and on (and did!)...

Oh what the heck! My "weedy" 24 year old. 16.1 54" girth 84" blanket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	552833_10150749335783501_769773500_9534531_626856649_n.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	36726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	582428_10150749328963501_769773500_9534484_513773349_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	36727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n603581374_1999300_4840400.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	36728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	548173_10150749351633501_769773500_9534677_310646574_n.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	36729  

Well it does take a horseman to throw a leg over a TB.

Love it

It's one of the statements that make my eyes bulge.
    But as others have said it is just a sign of ignorance/bias/misinformation.

One of the comments that always annoys me (even though they intend it as a compliment) is when someone asks "what kind of WB" A Fine Romance is.
    And when correct I them saying that he is (proudly) a TB, they shake their heads in denial - as if I might be lying - and say, "well he is more like a WB."

No, no and no.
    He is most definitely a TB, I bred him to be a racehorse, and IMO he looks like what he was bred to be.
    One of my homebreds (reg TB , race-bred) is also a winning Grand Prix jumper, and he could not be mistaken for a WB by anyone IMO.
    But he is, simply because he is in the GP ring.

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    My weedy and delicate 2 year old filly: http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ene2-4-12g.jpg
    Okay witherbee, I actually choked with laughter and had a coughing fit when I clicked on her photo after reading your "weedy and delicate 2 year old" description -- even though I was expecting the opposite. I don't know how old you are, but a few decades ago it was fashionable where I lived for Quarter Horses to have tails trimmed to hock height. If she doesn't look like a Quarter Horse in that photo then, well, I don't know what!

So the song came unbidden, "I like big butts and I cannot lie..."

Witherbee, I forgot to add, what beautiful horses!

mvp stated:

"Yabbut we have gone through a few decades of TBs bred for sprints. And the racing industry has seemed to create a track for any horse conceived, whether or not it had genuine speed, intelligence or long-term soundness. The 15.2, 10"-strided thing doesn't have a ready place in the Hunter ring.

All these add together to perhaps give some context to your idiot friend's perception. That's not to say that anyone should value the Old Style WB-- physically and mentally course and clunky. Does your friend like these?"

Does anyone here seem to subscribe to this belief that the last few decades have produced 15.2 sprinter things with a 10" stride that can't make the distances???

I'm curious mvp: what do you show/ride. WB--TB or something else??

Do you have any articles that you can direct me to written by anyone of actual merit to substanciate your claim? I'm always open to learning. Thanks
    Last edited by kaluha2; Sep. 24, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: forgot to add.

Fred: I just love "A Fine Romance". What a class act. Of course that just happens to be one of my all time favorite songs sung by non other than a very young Ginger Rogers. Your horse is fabulous. Did you name him??

I am loving all the photos everyone is showing off their TB's be they 17+hands or 15.2.

They are just lovely. Thanks

My current mare.....certainly not weedy. Solid 16.2 (I'm 5'9") and one of the best jumpers I've sat on in a while (still working on learning about jumping down banks--instead of leaping). She has been mistaken for a WB many times already (and I correct that---and will show her under her JC name)...but to my eye, she is a pretty classic TB build (with a Mr. P butt).

http://www.pedigreequery.com/rockstina

She was a winner on the track too. She would make a great big timber horse but will be a great event horse for me too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roxie2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	36730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roxie4.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	36731  
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I first saw this thread and thought " dems fightin' words!" lol.

Witherbee, that last grey has some serious bone!

I have to get some pictures scanned one of these days, my now 27 yr old TB, looks like an ISH. (still does)

None of my TBs have been weedy, far from it! The smallest I had was a barely 15.2 h filly, who while petite and feminine, was very sturdy.

Funniest thing happened at a dressage show, some woman asked me if my horse was some line warmblood (sadly can't remember exactly what she said) and was like, uh no- he's a Kentucky bred TB and he is! The funniest thing is this guy is sooo TB looking. I understood why people were confused with the old man.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Actually there has been a substantial change in the TB as a breed in the past 50 years, beginning in the US primarily. Starting with Nearco and the spread of his genes around the world, a formerly rare version of a myostatin gene that has a large place in muscle development and also whether a horse has a "preference" for longer distances is now present in at least 50% of TBs. It's also present in 90% of QHs today. This is the famous "speed" gene and the C allele. It seems to be a "fairly" recent mutation, in the grand scheme of things. The "wild" version is the T variant, whose effect can be summarized as making a horse mature at a later age and be stamina oriented. The mutation is the C variant. It fosters precocity and sprinting.

Back when the C variant was very rare (10% or less, per Dr. Emmeline Hill), sprinters were greyhounds. A homozygous C horse will sprint, mature early, and develop to look much like a QH because of the way the muscles respond to training.

If anyone would like cites for this, I have oodles.

Anyone who calls this stallion weedy is blind or on crack.
    http://www.littlehawkfarm.com/default%20stallion.html
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire