The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Whoops, lots of others said it better than I

Oh, I just can't resist

My weedy little Kansas bred:
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t/5e946d87.jpg

Not much of a jumper either:
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t/67f00b97.jpg

Non-scarcastically, he's pretty much the opposite of royally bred. He's proof you can find good throrougbreds any where if you look. (I have no idea where his sporthorse tendancies show up in his pedigree, I keep meaning to post on the sport horse forum. I suspect it might be the influence of Ribot so close up, you can certainly clearly see the stamp on him):
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/scarlet+jeff

He was a pretty good racehorse, won the Kansas Juvenile and Kansas Derby, however, his family got laughed out of Kentucky long ago

Something to bear in mind about those weedy TB's. Most of what you see at the track are race fit 2 & 3 year olds. They're going to look pretty slender compared to most WB's.

I had a friend, who was a horseplayer, though not a horseman, ask what breed the steeplechase horses were. I told him in my nicest voice that that was what adult TB's looked like.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Check out all the All TB Shows that are becoming so popular! One is in KY Oct. 6 at KHP. One Ocala Dec.2, Miami, Fair Hill not sure when. For the KY and Florida shows,checkout www.tbhorseshow.com

To my mind, there is nothing more elegant than the TB show hunter. The
    warmbloods cannot compare unless they have great deal of TB in them.
    However, with specialization comes a different type of horse.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by kaluha2 View Post
    Petey Pie: YOU are a Genius!!!! Of course this is so simple. I'll invite both to the next Queens Cup Steeplechase. If they can't find a TB or two in that bunch they'd love to have I'll eat the tickets!

HundredAcres: As you know from my post about my idiot neighbor and the foundering horse across from me and that's not to forget the folks behind me that allowed a perfectly good foal to die in a freezing puddle of water in Feb because he was born with feathers for frogs and his feet were soft---I might just be surrounded by morons. LOL!

Everyone thanks so much for taking the time to add your input. I just really needed that little vent.
    I think you need to relocate .....you are surrounded by morons! (Hope you're doing well though!).

Wink

Ignorance is bliss!

Which certainly leaves nice TBs for us.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have owned several, nice, big thoroughbreds! There are plenty of them out there.

However--

I live in VA and regularly peruse the ads for TBs here. Most of them are under 16 hands and that really bugs me. I wish they would breed them bigger! I will not buy anything under 16 hands anymore. Many people I know feel the same way. Some of the horses really are sort of weedy.

I wish they would stop breeding the little ones. I think they are less useful after they are done racing. Just MHO though.

Size is no indication of bone or substance. Personally I like one around 15:3 to 16 hands. I think they are handier although I am definitely in the minority. What I want to see is substantial bone and a big hip. I have not found it difficult to find.

My response would be to smile and nod and walk away satisfied that you won't be fighting those two the next time you see a nice TB prospect.

Generalizations like that about breeds are silly and any real horse person knows that. There's a gal around here who shows in the jumpers and is fond of saying, "TBs, no scope, no hope." When one of her kids said it to me I replied with, "you realize that my GP horse is a TB?" And the gal said, "oh, well, he's really an exception to the rule, isn't he?" I don't blame her for her attitude....it's been cultivated by several trainers who make a lot more money off of imported WBs than cheapo TBs, and she hasn't been in horses for long enough to know better.

I know he was already mentioned but just thought I'd post a picture 'cause I love this big guy:

Running Order: http://3.eventingnation.com/eventing...4/DSCN6976.jpg

My weedy 17.1hh, 84'' blanket, 56'' girth, size 2 shoe wearing 5 year old TB the vet thought was a warmblood:

Actually only 4 in this picture

Exactly 4 here

"I had a friend, who was a horseplayer, though not a horseman, ask what breed the steeplechase horses were. I told him in my nicest voice that that was what adult TB's looked like."

Hahaha! That is so true. They say, "Ignorance is bliss", but I gotta tell ya that I believe it is getting old. I've been putting up with some pretty damn stupid people with horses (NOT horse people) but honestly, educate yourself.

Back in the late 50's, I can remember horsemen having these discussion in the barn isle. I was just a tot then and all ears. I was at the mercy of whoever sounded like they knew what they were taking about and also books. That's all we had. In this day and age, just quit saying such stupid sh** OK??? LOL!

I just love all the pics and the replies here on this thread. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I have owned several, nice, big thoroughbreds! There are plenty of them out there.

However--

I live in VA and regularly peruse the ads for TBs here. Most of them are under 16 hands and that really bugs me. I wish they would breed them bigger! I will not buy anything under 16 hands anymore. Many people I know feel the same way. Some of the horses really are sort of weedy.

I wish they would stop breeding the little ones. I think they are less useful after they are done racing. Just MHO though.
    Perhaps less useful to YOU because you won't buy a smaller horse, but that doesn't make them "less useful".

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I have an almost 33 year old TB mare in my barn that is barely 15 hands.....we only know her age because of her teeth and part of her tattoo, but we don't know her breeding at all. But we always talk about how much we wish she knew who she is - she has the most beautiful, lofty gaits you've ever seen, the most amazing disposition, and has not taken a lame step having only mild arthritis in her hocks. And we always hope there are plenty of her babies out there, passing on her amazing genes .

(sorry for the duplicate....I'm fuzzy eyed still this morning)

I've never understood our preoccupation with large framed to begin with. I've known some very athletic, well balanced smaller framed TBs who were successful in sport. I understand that hunters are subjectively judged and do have a desired aesthetic, but for other sports, IMO athleticism and soundness depend more on angles and balance than actual size.

This is a mare I picked up last year. She is a registered thoroughbred, but never raced. As you can tell, she's very stout and has huge dinner plate-sized feet, and stands just over 16.1. The first time my farrier came out after I got her home, he thought she was a draft cross; absolutely could not believe she was a TB. Everyone that sees her can't believe she's a purebred.

I apologize for her "unkeptness" in the photo, it's the only one I have at hand at the moment... http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps0fcf5e95.jpg

My mare is definately not weedy. In fact, she is regulary mistaken for warmblood or warmblood cross.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=272b344a2a

This is her sire, Louis Arthur:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=8aab6b2c03

Yabbut we have gone through a few decades of TBs bred for sprints. And the racing industry has seemed to create a track for any horse conceived, whether or not it had genuine speed, intelligence or long-term soundness. The 15.2, 10"-strided thing doesn't have a ready place in the Hunter ring.

All these add together to perhaps give some context to your idiot friend's perception. That's not to say that anyone should value the Old Style WB-- physically and mentally course and clunky. Does your friend like these?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    I apologize for her "unkeptness" in the photo, it's the only one I have at hand at the moment... http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps0fcf5e95.jpg
    She fooled me too! I never would have guessed TB - and she's lovely anyway