The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalDiamond View Post
    I would suggest the Nighthorse Farms - Debbie Stone. She is an excellent trainer and runs a great program. Her webiste is www.nighthorsefarm.com
    Im acutally going out there this weekend when I am in town on my barn search! Looks like an awesome place, but no grass turn out but still turn outs!

This search has been a long one- thinking I am going to have to drive atleast an hour to find something I want because Hunterville is a little out of my price range at the moment. Will deff be trailering in for lessons and clinics though.

I hope you will consider Five Oak Farms in Orangevale. The owner, Jenifer Warren, is a great person and incredibly knowledgeable. She lives on the property and makes sure the horses get superb care. We had a horse visiting (from a different barn) for 3 weeks, and at the end, one of the boarders said to me, "She looks like a completely different horse!" (thanks to the lush turn-out and excellent care).

I think the owners are aware that many people don't have unlimited budgets, and they try to keep things reasonable while still having beautiful facilities.

I hope you'll check it out if you are looking for a down-to-earth, friendly, but still very successful barn. They have a website.

Both Brookside and High Standard are going to be kind of far for you. Probably about an hour. I don't know what board is at Hunterville but I have a decent idea of what it is at Brookside in Debbie's barn and also what it is privately. What you are spending in time and money to get to that end of town might be worth the extra of going to Hunterville. Again, depends on what her prices are. If it were only going out for lessons once or twice a week that would be one thing but I wouldn't want to drive that far for boarding! Plus depending on what time of day you will be dealing with traffic. I boarded at Brookside (not with Debbie's barn, I was a private boarder) I loved being there, though sharing the arena in winter in the evenings pretty much didn't happen. I would wait around for lessons that ran over and would finally leave without being able to do anything with my horse since it was dark outside and everything was wet outside anyway. Clint at High Standard is really nice, I've talked with him and been out there before but that is even further out than Brookside. I would say also try the Granite Bay area. BTH is in Fair Oaks, Don't know a whole lot about them either but have thought about contacting her about lessons if I decide to drive further down the hill though I have a great place up here but can't seem to keep in contact enough to schedule anything.

You could try Los Lagos in GB. I haven't had any dealings with them so can't really give any info on them. Also if you are thinking of trailering in anyway for lessons you should be able to find a lower key barn that is cheaper to board at. If you are riding as a part of someone's barn they probably won't look kindly on you taking lessons with someone else. Brookside does offer private boarding and they do have paddocks, not huge and they are behind Debbie's barn for the most part. You can use everything but their arena and the round pen next to their arena when they are riding. But you can find something closer to you I'm sure for that price or less and then trailer to Patty's. Have you checked bayequest.com?

There's a place called "Penryn Oaks Stables" which is directly across the street from Hunterville. They have pasture turnouts and you could just walk across the street for lessons. I haven't actually been on the property, but it's quite noticeable from the road due to the green grass (not so common in northern California!). You can get more info from their website. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lintesia View Post
    There's a place called "Penryn Oaks Stables" which is directly across the street from Hunterville. They have pasture turnouts and you could just walk across the street for lessons. I haven't actually been on the property, but it's quite noticeable from the road due to the green grass (not so common in northern California!). You can get more info from their website. Good luck!
    I'm pretty sure Jumpingrules92 does this. You may want to PM her for more info on the facility.