The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where is home?

DD works for a show barn and spends half time in Wellington and half time in Lexington, along with 1-2 week shows at other venues throughout the season. She loves her job and doesn't mind the traveling, but where does she call home? For tax, insurance and banking purposes - what is her state of residency?

Any advice for living a nomadic lifestyle in the horse industry would be appreciated!

I believe (in Canada, at least), you call home the last permanent residence you had, where your parents permanently reside, or where you went to high school. She may be able to choose which would be better tax-break wise.

What State does she have her driver's license in? What State is she registered to vote?

Her address has been ours in VA but, since Jan. she's spent 3 days in the state. Now that she's decided to stay on with this job, we're wondering if she can retain residency in VA. She'll be getting a 1099, so she's paying quarterly federal income taxes. We're not sure what to do about state income tax??? This year, we've been treating this as one long horse show circuit for auto insurance, but if she continues, where is her car "principally garaged?" What do people do when they don't own real estate and their job keeps them traveling?

Hmmm. Maybe ask a tax attorney. There must be others like your daughter who are basically traveling nomads.

What state does the trainer use for the home address or do they split it between two states?

Her residency is where her driver's license and car registration is (Virginia, in this case, I suppose), however she must pay taxes to the state where she earned money—e.g., if the 1099 comes from Kentucky, she files in both Virginia and Kentucky.

She's going to speak with a tax consultant when she gets back to FL. The farm owns a facility in FL and leases in KY. They provide housing to workers in rented apt. or houses, and hotels at other away shows.

I guess she can vote by absentee ballot?

I figured there would be some on COTH who have experience with this ... appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Her residency is where her driver's license and car registration is (Virginia, in this case, I suppose), however she must pay taxes to the state where she earned money—e.g., if the 1099 comes from Kentucky, she files in both Virginia and Kentucky.
    So if the farm is based in FL, she wouldn't have to file state income tax, since FL doesn't have it?

Do you think she can maintain car registration and license in VA if she only visits once in a great while? Her car inspection expired and she drove several hours on her day off from KY to renew it. Since this job has become long term, it seems impractical to maintain VA residency, but don't know what she should do instead, since she's not in any one state for more than six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggle Mom View Post
    So if the farm is based in FL, she wouldn't have to file state income tax, since FL doesn't have it?

Do you think she can maintain car registration and license in VA if she only visits once in a great while? Her car inspection expired and she drove several hours on her day off from KY to renew it. Since this job has become long term, it seems impractical to maintain VA residency, but don't know what she should do instead, since she's not in any one state for more than six months.
    Yep, that's correct.

And yes, she can maintain it Virginia, although it's technically "illegal" to not surrender your out-of-state license after living elsewhere for more than 60 days. (Lots of NYC folks have cars registered to where their parents live—not legal, but saves a bundle on insurance.)

Why wouldn't she just change her residency to FL or KY? FL seems to make the most sense, since her employer is paying her from there (and no income tax is always nice).

My mom is retired and has homes in NJ and in FL. She claims the FL place as her legal residence, even though she spends six months in each place, as FL very definitely has tax advantages. Her car is registered FL, her insurance is there, etc. I guess there's a reason someone I knew who worked in the credit industry used to complain, "All the deadbeats move to FL, it's easy to live cheap there!" (We were in OH at the time)

OP, I'm just glad you've got DD paying the quarterly estimated taxes. I fell into the trap of not doing that when self-employed and lived to regret it. Sounds like you all are on the right track!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Yep, that's correct.

And yes, she can maintain it Virginia, although it's technically "illegal" to not surrender your out-of-state license after living elsewhere for more than 60 days. (Lots of NYC folks have cars registered to where their parents live—not legal, but saves a bundle on insurance.)

Why wouldn't she just change her residency to FL or KY? FL seems to make the most sense, since her employer is paying her from there (and no income tax is always nice).
    She doesn't have an address in FL or KY, since she's placed in rental housing and isn't allowed to receive mail. I don't know how she could establish residency in either KY or FL without a physical address. The nomadic lifestyle of some of the workers in the horse show world seems unique, which is why I posted this question here. Thanks for pondering it with me!

She can always rent a post office box in Florida to receive mail which helps in establishing residency, and as she is an independent contractor being 1099'd there should be no problem taking time off from work to collect said mail. Please make sure she's aware of the consequences of not having Social Security taxes withheld by her employer. Its hard to look that far down the road when you're young.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggle Mom View Post
    She doesn't have an address in FL or KY, since she's placed in rental housing and isn't allowed to receive mail. I don't know how she could establish residency in either KY or FL without a physical address. The nomadic lifestyle of some of the workers in the horse show world seems unique, which is why I posted this question here. Thanks for pondering it with me!
    It wouldn't be possible to get her car plated in KY without some proof of residency, I had to bring in a utility bill with my current address as well as proof of insurance when I moved here.

I think it would definitely be worthwhile to speak with a reputable tax preparer, preferably someone with some connection to the horse world so they understand what your daughter is talking about! They should be able to provide accurate information that helps her file correctly, but in the most beneficial way for her. You would need someone who has a good understanding (or ability to research) the ins and outs of tax laws in various states. Don't be afraid to get two or three opinions - just because someone works at a tax prep company, does not mean they are correct or know what to do with unusual situations like your daughter's.

(My dad is a CPA, CFE, and a whole bunch of other acronyms - he is super at making sure we file correctly, without overpaying, even though we move frequently due to the military. He specializes in bookkeeping/tax prep for small businesses, particularly those in the horse industry - so such a thing really does exist!)

I would add that this situation really may not be *that* unusual. Think of other professions where people are consultants and may travel and work in various states all the time.

I do agree that you need to find a good tax adviser that is familiar with multi-jurisdiction work.

Thumbs up Florida

Like others have said...

Florida makes the most sense.. NO STATE INCOME TAX!! She can use the farm address there to establish residency.. You CAN NOT use in the state of Florida a PO BOX on a DL. You MUST be able to provide a physical address and must have proof of residency ie electric bill, lease, voter registration card,credit card/bank statements to that addy ect. Her employer can make a lease up for her living at the farm ect...you can download them online or go to Office Depot ect to get a lease.
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale