The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter Trainer in Sacramento, CA

Hi everyone! My family is moving to Lincoln, CA and I am looking for a hunter trainer. I do the 3' hunters with my warmblood mare and am looking to start an A/O career when the time is right so i am looking for an A show barn and reputable trainer! So, anyone in Sacramento would be good, I am willing to drive up to 45 mins.

I'm headed straight for Hunterville in Penryn- very close to Lincoln! I just moved up to Auburn/Colfax area from the SF Bay Area and have scheduled a lesson for the next few weeks. Hope to cross paths with you

Also forgot to mention that three different lesson programs operate in Hunterville. Patty Ball has her program, Sami Milo has Cavallo Stables LLC. and Audrie has Folly Farms Sport Horses.

http://www.huntervillestable.com/
    http://www.cavallostables.com/
    www.follyfarmsporthorses.com/
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

Jenifer Warren and Jeri Lou Paul at Five Oak Farms in Orangevale.

Based on where you're moving, Hunterville will probably be your best bet. Only thing is if you need someone to ride your horse, Patty Ball no longer does any of the riding.

There are others in the area but if you want a barn that goes to all the A shows, it definitely limits options.

Patty Ball and Hunterville are great. Also you will have the George Morris clinic coming up end of Nov there! (I plan to be there on one of the days, not sure which yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    Patty Ball and Hunterville are great. Also you will have the George Morris clinic coming up end of Nov there! (I plan to be there on one of the days, not sure which yet)
    Same here! Excited to watch GM- THe Most Interesting Man In The World- in action.

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Me too, seriously considering one day to see the George in action....

We should have a COTH meet up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    We should have a COTH meet up there!
    Would be fun

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

When I lived in Placerville, CA I rode with Kally Van Vleck. A fabulous experience - don't know which side of the "RIVER" you are on but can't say enough praise about Kelly's program
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Kelly is good but a bit far from Lincoln. Would probably take 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the time of day.

Do you want a top notch A show barn with a strict training program, full grooming, etc. or a nice barn that goes to A shows and does well without some of the top notch barn intensity?

Does your horse need training rides or do you want to do all the riding?

Does turnout, (grass vs. dirt lot) matter to you?

I ask these questions since there are several options for you, but answering those questions would narrow it down.

I have looked at patty's! AWESOME trainer- love her technique and advice she has to offer! I will definitely be coming over to take a few lessons once we are settled and maybe I will have the guts to attend the GM clinic LOL but will for sure audit at the least. However, my horse is a sensitive mare (lol) and LOVES her pasture turn out! I would hate to take that away from her if I had another option. Kelly's looks like a good program too but, a little out of my price range. Also, she is getting schooling rides now as we have had stopping problems in the past that are now, for the most part, fixed but I would like to keep her in training if possible. A trainer that rides like a hunter would be nice! Overall I am looking for a nice barn that attends a good number of A shows with a good vibe, nice people, and stalls with in and outs. Also grass pasture is a must and training rides would be preferred! Has anyone heard of BTH Equestrian, or Inverness Ridge Stales??

I just looked up Inverness Ridge Stables, and it says they are located between Davis, Woodland and Dixon. That is awfully far from Lincoln - I would think close to an hour away.

If grass turnout is a must, that is likely to be your limiting factor. You might look into some barns in the Granite Bay area, they would be close to your location. Don't know if any of them offer grass turnout, however. I'm not sure if there is any barn near Lincoln that is an A show barn with grass turnouts. You might inquire about Black Bay Equestrians, and Patriot Farms. Just not sure what they have to offer.

Yeah, grass pasture seems to be pretty rare in NorCal. You might be better off just trying to find a place that has dirt turnout available.

Black Bay and Patriot both have younger trainers who are good, but are not what I would consider "A" show barns. Majority of what they attend are the schooling and B shows. Also I don't know about Black Bay but Patriot does not have grass turnouts. When I was there its dirt only.

Have heard about BTH, but don't know much about the trainer or program.

Quote Originally Posted by RockstarPony View Post
    Yeah, grass pasture seems to be pretty rare in NorCal. You might be better off just trying to find a place that has dirt turnout available.
    Five Oak Farms has grass turnout.

OP, I sent you a PM!

High Standard Equestrian has grass turnout. I only know the trainer there as a judge.

I would suggest the Nighthorse Farms - Debbie Stone. She is an excellent trainer and runs a great program. Her webiste is www.nighthorsefarm.com