The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA REGISTRATION (OWNER TRANSFER ) ADVICE NEEDED!

Hi everyone!

I went and looked a gorgeous reg. AQHA gelding this weekend. He's amazing in all ways, and I really want to buy him. I do have a question about him, regarding his registration papers.. The woman who owns him, does not have the original papers in her possession. She lost them, but she does have a copy. Her name is on the papers, so I think all is well. She said as long as she signs an AQHA ownership transfer, and I have a copy of the papers, that I can have him registered in my name. I wanted to get some advice regarding this before I purchase him . Is this true? Will a copy of the papers suffice as long as he is in her name, and she signs an ownership transfer? Please tell me what you think. Thank you for your time.

I do not think a copy will do. She can call AQHA and request a replacement set.

You can also call AQHA and ask who the actual registered owner is.

Every horse has a story.
    That is your horse's story.

Are papers important to you, are you maybe going to compete where they are necessary, or sell him later and he will be worth more with them?

You need to call the AQHA, at 1-806-376-4811

I expect that, if she really is the last owner of record, she can go thru the process of sending pictures of the horse and signing an affidavit that she is indeed the owner and after the file is reviewed, a new set of papers will be sent to her.
    Then she can send you those papers and a properly signed transfer.

DO - NOT - TAKE - ANYONE'S - WORD, get it in writing at least, in your sale contract, you do have one, that you will pay when you get the papers, or whatever you both want to agree to.

I just went thru six months of that with someone that lied, finally got that straightened out, but I was lucky, most never get the papers.

If you PM me the horse's name or registration #, I can PM you back who the last owner of record is, as that is in the AQHA files.
    At least you will know if she really is the last owner of record right away, since you can't call until Monday.

She needs the papers. She will need to get a replacement copy from the AQHA.