The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AQHA OWNERSHIP TRANSFER QUESTION

Hi everyone!

I went and looked a gorgeous reg. AQHA gelding this weekend. He's amazing in all ways, and I really want to buy him. I do have a question about him, regarding his registration papers.. The woman who owns him, does not have the original papers in her possession. She lost them, but she does have a copy. Her name is on the papers, so I think all is well. She said as long as she signs an AQHA ownership transfer, and I have a copy of the papers, that I can have him registered in my name. I wanted to get some advice regarding this before I purchase him . Is this true? Will a copy of the papers suffice as long as he is in her name, and she signs an ownership transfer? Please tell me what you think. Thank you for your time.

As long as hes in her name i dont think there should be a problem. Have her fill out the transfer form and sign. The AQHA will just issue you new papers with said horse in your name.

Maybe have her put a letter stating that the original papers are lost and all she has is a copy. Hope this helps you.

I believe this to be true. I believe she may also have to sign an affidavit stating that she lost the papers. You DEFINITELY need that signed transfer of ownership; without it the whole process is a huge pain (ask me how I know).

I would confirm by calling the AQHA during business hours.

If she is the person on the papers and she signs an affadavit with the indication that she lost them, they will replace them with an additional piece of paperwork. If she is NOT the person on the papers, you will have to have all transfers filled in. Just call AQHA and ask them, though. They are very helpful. It is worth it to get the papers. Some hunter jumper people don't bother, but I think if a horse is papered, it is always good to have the papers.