The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Abandoned horse in the BRONX

WTF?? Why can't anyone seize the poor animal?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/ny....html?src=recg

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Judging by that picture, he doesn't look to be in bad shape and it sounds like he has people looking out for him. I guess I don't understand the outrage.

Curious/perhaps offended about the caps in your title. The Bronx is not just this concrete jungle of slums that it's made out to be. There are many wealthy people in the Bronx, lots of land, park space, and :gasp: even barns. In fact, Olympian Ashley Holzer is based out of the Bronx.

Reminds me of the NYClass debacle:

Rusty is a mystery to even those who want nothing more than to save it. The residents and animal activists at the rally did not know its age, whether it was male or female, or how it came to be living in the stable, which has no posted name but was once known as Bronxbuster.
    Bret Hopman, a spokesman, said agents from its Humane Law Enforcement Department had recently visited the stable again following a complaint. “We examined the stable and the one horse that was present, and there was no evidence of abuse or neglect,” Mr. Hopman said.

Dorothea Poggi, 61, who used to ride horses at the stable, said she had seen pictures of Rusty. She worried that he looked skinny, not to mention lonely. “It’s like prison,” she said. “I feel that a horse should be with other horses. There are very few animals that like to be alone.”
    The horse is well fed and taken care of. Sounds like a bunch of well meaning idiots to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Reminds me of the NYClass debacle:

The horse is well fed and taken care of. Sounds like a bunch of well meaning idiots to me.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...-in-the-bronx/

This in spades one of the most notorious animal rights wing nuts Roxanne Delgado even was quoted in this article. Don't know who she is well she is the activist arrested a few weeks ago for KICKING a carriage horse driver. Also the women who follows them around with a video camera screaming hateful things and impersonating ASPCA and police officers to attempt to force people out of carriages.

BTW in an article posted 2 days ago there were a total of 5 horses housed there. Guess Rusty is not so lonely

"The stable is next door to a proposed development for a residential high-rise and possible Metro-North station, Papa reported."
    Hrm do I see the truth peeking through yes yes maybe !
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Another that doesn't understand the outrage and call for seizure? The picture shows a well-fed horse from what you can see; a definitely muscular shoulder and shiny coat and what I would presume is a water bucket and plenty of hay. How does that spell abandoned?

Only issue I could see is it appears to be a very low ceiling, but hard to tell from the shot if that is the only area the horse has access to.

1 members found this post helpful.

1) I meant no disrespect to the Bronx, New York City, or the greater Manhattan area. I was just astonished to learn there was a horse in what I consider the middle of the city in an apparently abandoned stable. Thus my caps. Did anyone ever read The Horse Upstairs when you were little?

2) I was also unaware that the person quoted in the article is one of the crazed animal rights lunatics in the carriage horse frenzy. If she is the main instigator, then I have revised my opinion.

3) The weirdness of a horse in an apparently abandoned barn in the middle of the city and no owner coming forward is, however, very strange.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I saw that Times article the other day. I, too, wondered how he could be called "abandoned" if he consistently has hay and water.

Who's feeding him? Gremlins?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I saw that Times article the other day. I, too, wondered how he could be called "abandoned" if he consistently has hay and water.

Because "abandoned" is a much more compelling term than "free-loading." And in situations like this panic and hype are ALWAYS better options. (that's a comment on the general public and news article, not you OP)

If they really want to know what's going on, why don't they just watch the building? Eventually someone has to come and actually provide the food. Seems like a pretty simple solution.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    1) I meant no disrespect to the Bronx, New York City, or the greater Manhattan area. I was just astonished to learn there was a horse in what I consider the middle of the city in an apparently abandoned stable. Thus my caps. Did anyone ever read The Horse Upstairs when you were little?
    It doesn't sound like he's in the "middle of the city" though. He's about 15 miles from the middle of Manhattan and as I said, the Bronx is very different than most people think.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Tha Ridge-you live there....to the rest of the world, NY NY means "city". All we know is what we see on TV and that means big city with buildings, parks and not a place where you'd expect to find horses. Sorry, that is the "stereotype" and there's no getting around it. Like when I say I live in Washington--that means "Seattle", the Seattle seen on TV shows.

If all I saw was "horse abandoned in NY City", that's what I'd imagine--a horse in the city. Kind of like "horse lost in LA"--I think of big city and palm trees.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I am confused...isn't the building is condemned?

If correct than no anmal should be housed in it!

Quote Originally Posted by 2113 View Post
    I am confused...isn't the building is condemned?

If correct than no anmal should be housed in it!
    A property may be condemned for a variety of reasons. You are assuming that it is because of some dangerous condition. However property may be condemned so it can be seized for development by an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post

LOL...

I hate reading an entire article and feel like some major information is left out; why do they think he's abandoned?

My husband (bless his heart) came him in a scurry one day and asked if we should go help the neighbors horse. It's "skinny" and holed up in a falling barn, he told me. I drove out and saw from the road, a lovely though old/ancient horse with a sway back. He was white too - I mean WHITE. The barn was ugly but he was happy as can be and I had to laugh at my husbands attempt to assess a horse's condition . And he probably has more experience than these people, who have only ever seen horses in the Olympics coverage.

Ah, Pelham Bit stables, I wondered what happened to them. That stable has been around for a long time, I knew about them in the 1960s when I was a kid. It was a mostly western stable, gave Trail rides along orchard beach there. Run by somebody-Martin, (Billy Martin?). Just a few years ago, they had horses living in a big empty semi ( trailer ), which is fine as a stall alternate, and someone called the Police on them. I think they said it was fine too.

These days it's always about real estate, always, IMO, or cornering the market on existing stables.

There a few small private stables left in that general area, and for some they are closely regulated to prevent them from say rebuilding their barn. I have no idea why, maybe they are allowed to exist based on historic landmark law?

The Bronx borders Westchester, this stable is just across the border from Westchester, so it's not so odd. Keep in mind, there was a stable in middle of NYC until the 1990, coyotes have been seen in Central Park, and of course Hawks ("Pale Male" famously).

Oh, maybe he got bought out. This appears to be it's new incarnation
    http://bronxequestriancenter.com/

Okay, I think the NYT article might be about some other place, the above linked site looks to be in good shape.

Theresa Nazzaro, 48, who rescues stray cats and even the occasional injured pigeon, said she had wanted to take care of Rusty but could not get to the horse. “It shouldn’t have to live like this,” Ms. Nazzaro said.

Yea. Cats and the occasional injured pigeon are right in line with care for a horse... Sorry. I got a little bit hysterical reading that.

The horse looks to be in fine shape with a pile of hay that my mare would envy. She lives outside 24/7. *gasp* These non-horse people crack me up with their constant outrage over the stupidest things. The article, IMO, was laughable.

Exclamation Rusty/Bronco Bronx Horse

Photos on Face book Page
    Save Rusty / Bronx Horse

To all concerned...this situation is to complex to solve.
    The animal we originally saw pictures of had a fungus looking coat with ribs showing. The original horse was old. The horse could have been switched as no one could get good pictures in the dank, shadowy stall.

Either way, if he was not then our attention to him brought about his healthy glow. He had not been out during the day time in years?...

Horse is alone inside a dangerously shifting concrete building with the interior wood framing that supports his flooring seperating from the support beams.

The Animal Advocates were from various directions
    1- Political
    2- Concerned for Health and safety
    3- Concerned for unjust treatment of animal

others stepped in
    1-looking for free site to hold theatre group
    2-looking for profit? through leagal fee lean on property
    3- owner and friend living in stable with 3 ft of manure

The Bronx Equestrian Center is still a NYC Parks Concession run by James Martyn
    The Stables at 1680 Pelham Parkway S. is what used to be Cy's Riding Academy

Old article fills in the details:

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/bronx-...-stable/48260/