The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Made The Appointment

My 17 year old cat Tally has gone downhill very quickly in the past 4 weeks. This week it's been very bad. She still wants to eat and greeted us with "FEED ME" at the door last night, but is very feeble and unsteady. She isn't steady enough to bathe herself (still determined to use the litter box) She still coos and purrs when you pet her. Still sits and guards her food from the other cats, but doesn't actually defend it anymore.

She looks at me, she coos, and I feel like she's telling me not that she'll be fine, but that she's ready and just waiting for me to accept it. My husband disagrees.

Her favorite vet (if Tally could have such a thing) is going to come to the house on Monday. I think her favorite vet tech will come too (the one who does not like any cat BUT Tally) Maybe Tally will turn the corner and perk back up and we'll be able to cancel.

I know that when they go, they go quickly, but why does it always take you by surprise when it happens?
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

((hugs))

I wouldn't cancel. Better to do it while the good days outnumber the bad. Even though it's really hard for us, better for us than them.

Have you ever watched this vid put together by COTH folks? If not, might make you feel better.

This It Be Right
    http://specialhorses.org/thisItBeRight.html
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

It's better too soon than a day to long. I'm sorry (hug). My old kitty went from being that cat everyone though would live forever to losing 33% of her weight in 3 weeks. It was horrible to watch and I'm so glad we made the decision to let her go peacefully. I still miss her and will never forget her, but I'm glad we didn't let her suffer for fear of making the choice too soon. Give her lots of attention, a bowl of tuna (if she'll eat) and say good bye.

Have you taken her to the vet to find out what`s wrong?

I have had three cats with kidney problems that lost a lot of weight in a short time but still wanted to eat, kept losing weight. A change in food and some fluids and 2 of them are still around. One is 19 (diagnosed at 17), one is 18 (diagnosed at 17). The one that passed also had heart disease.

Kidney disease is very common in felines.

I`d want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by re-runs View Post
    Have you taken her to the vet to find out what`s wrong?

I have had three cats with kidney problems that lost a lot of weight in a short time but still wanted to eat, kept losing weight. A change in food and some fluids and 2 of them are still around. One is 19 (diagnosed at 17), one is 18 (diagnosed at 17). The one that passed also had heart disease.

Kidney disease is very common in felines.

I`d want to know.
    I agree with this. If it's something that can be treated and will make Tally comfortable and more like her "old self" it's worth looking into.

It's always difficult with our old friends...sending many hugs.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Tally had been vetted completly. There wasn't a lot the vets could offer us.

We lost her this morning at 7:35. She was very happy last night when we went to bed at 1:30AM. Purring, cooing. She sat with David on blob chair while he played Arkham city, then sat with me for a while on the couch in the pile of blankets that's always there. She glared at Twilight and sent Twilight scuttling to the corner. She gobbled down her dinner (once I discerened she wanted Ocean Whitefish and NOT chicken, thank you) She settled comfortably onto her bed beside ours.

I woke up about 5:45 to check on her, she was weak but cooed at me, laid with us, enjoyed being pet, we knew the end was coming when she tried to get up and couldn't. Since she seemed peaceful we just pet her and waited. Then about half an hour later she started seizing. We took her to the pet ER 10 minutes away. It's not the passing I wanted for her. It's not the passing I thought I would be able to give her.

She made it to her 17th birthday in fine style, and we had one last nice night together.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Aw Im sorry. The good thing about pets is that when they are that sick, they really dont know. They dont associate being sick with their caregivers. You did the right thing for her, and dont feel bad about how it ended. Ultimately you did the right thing for her, and it doesnt sound like there was pain involved. When animals seizure, its not painful for them. Hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Aw Im sorry. The good thing about pets is that when they are that sick, they really dont know. They dont associate being sick with their caregivers. You did the right thing for her, and dont feel bad about how it ended. Ultimately you did the right thing for her, and it doesnt sound like there was pain involved. When animals seizure, its not painful for them. Hugs to you.
    Thanks, Squish. My husband and I are pretty torn up. She was my heart kitty and DH's first kitty (she taught him all he needed to know about how wonderful cats are, and how- most importantly- to properly worship them ) Our only comfort is she really did have a good night last night, and the end was very quick. But David and I already feel the shape of her absence. The other cats are looking for her- mostly under the master bed. Twilight came over and licked my tears and yowled with me while I cried.

It's been a little while since I've lost an animal, and I forgot how surreal it is. We went to bed with her in our life, we woke up, we took her to a place, we walked out of the place without her, and we came home and she's not here. But the sun still came up, and the other cats wanted to be fed, and I still made my coffee, and we took the cats outside and I'm sitting here typing this. It feels like life should stop but it doesn't. It just keeps on with one strand dropped from the knitting.

I'm so sorry. Godspeed, kitty.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'm so sorry. Godspeed Tally.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    Thanks, Squish. My husband and I are pretty torn up. She was my heart kitty and DH's first kitty (she taught him all he needed to know about how wonderful cats are, and how- most importantly- to properly worship them ) Our only comfort is she really did have a good night last night, and the end was very quick. But David and I already feel the shape of her absence. The other cats are looking for her- mostly under the master bed. Twilight came over and licked my tears and yowled with me while I cried.

It's been a little while since I've lost an animal, and I forgot how surreal it is. We went to bed with her in our life, we woke up, we took her to a place, we walked out of the place without her, and we came home and she's not here. But the sun still came up, and the other cats wanted to be fed, and I still made my coffee, and we took the cats outside and I'm sitting here typing this. It feels like life should stop but it doesn't. It just keeps on with one strand dropped from the knitting.
    What a beautiful tribute and well-written description of how these losses feel. I lost my heart dog almost 4 weeks ago and feel as though life will be like this forever.

I also feel, though, that you were in many, many ways so lucky in Tally's passing. It reminded me of my old horse, Louie's in 2005. He was 30 years old and always so kind. He died suddenly of a heart attack within minutes of making a pest of himself teasing the mares. I had no decision to make. He was happy at the end of a long, full life. I found him in his stall within minutes of his death, simply patted him, saying "good boy," thinking he'd done this every bit as perfectly as he had almost everything else in the 24 years I'd had him.

When I read your account, I thought how good Tally's passing was-- perhaps even better than Louie's -- because you knew her time had come, and therefore spent those precious last hours as close and kind to her as you could be (where my last word to Louie was something along the lines of "git!!). Then her passing seems have been as quiet and painless as any euthanasia-- so you would never even be tempted to ask if you'd made the decision and done the last kindness too soon. What could have been more perfect?

I know that this-- and nothing else either --will make "the shape of her absence" any less painful to you and your husband, but do hope you will gradually find consolation in this in addition to the countless other memories of Tally to be grateful for.

Their passings rarely are what we have planned but you do the best you can with what fate presents you with. I spent an extremely long night sitting up with my sheltie through hurricane Isabel begging him to finally stop breathing. I had taken him to the emergency vet that early evening to have him put down but the vet refused to let me stay with him so I took him home in hopes he would either die on his own or make it until morning when my vet opened. He did neither but I did what was right for him. I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed.