The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default USET Finals West, AKA USEF Talent Search

Here are the results of the flat and gymnastics phases, which ran the last two nights:
    http://www.leghorseshows.com/pdf/sho...g%20Order).pdf
    (if something bizarre happens with the link go to www.leghorseshows.com --> Link to LAEC show in about the middle of the page --> PDF's at the bottom of the list).

I didn't make it either night but am planning to be there tomorrow at 2:30 for the final phase, if anyone wants to meet up. There is also a GP in the evening, the admission to which is IIRC free.

If you are curious about who is riding what horse, or who people train with, go to horseshowtime (http://www.horseshowtime.com/getshowinfo.php?p=4627) --> Show Entries to get a list by #
    The Evil Chem Prof

Please post updates if you have the opportunity. I sure hope the girls from Washington keep up the good work!!

USEF West Talent Search FINALS

1st Samantha Harrison - Karen Healey
    2nd Olivia Champ - Karen Healey
    3rd Kilian McGrath - Karen Healey
    4th Lauren Myers - Cara Anthony
    5th Savannah Jenkins - Karen Healey
    6th Sage Flynn - Hap Hansen
    7th Sara Nordstron - John Turner, Jack Hammond
    8th McKenna Skelton - Mike Edrick
    9th Sydney Calloway - Lori DeRosa
    10th Rachel Shulman - Rudy Leone, Jill Humphrey

No one did anything hugely wrong in the fourth round for the exchange of horses. There were a few over time on a horse or two, including the eventual winner. Some rails. But we were sitting there trying to figure out who won and couldn't come to a consensus, nor did anyone have a strong feeling that a particular person won. We felt the 4th place person should have been higher.

The horse award went to Samantha Harrison's horse.

Platinum Performance was there giving away sport bars, hats and Talent Search t-shirts. Swag!

There was a disapointingly small audience. I had a great time meeting up with friends, but we were a large portion of the spectators in the bleachers.

The person who was 4th after the gymnastics fell off in connection with the water jump--made kind of a bid, there was an in between distance, and she got popped off afterwards.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Go team Potcreek and Lauren Myers! Cara and I are very proud. It was also great to have Sara Nordstrom in the top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    No one did anything hugely wrong in the fourth round for the exchange of horses.
    Did they do the switching or did they have grooms do it a la Maclay Finals last year?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Did they do the switching or did they have grooms do it a la Maclay Finals last year?
    I don't know if we ever got official word on why they allowed grooms to switch tack, but I do know that Elizabeth Benson was competing with a broken wrist. I think that had something to do with it.

Grooms and trainers are allowed in the holding/warmup area. Four horses plus four kids by themselves in the middle of a grass field might not be the best idea. Each person gets two minutes including two jumps before each of the three rounds on the other riders' horses. Kids walk the courses themselves but aren't segregated from their trainers.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Lauren rode beautifully.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I don't know if we ever got official word on why they allowed grooms to switch tack, but I do know that Elizabeth Benson was competing with a broken wrist. I think that had something to do with it.
    I certainly wouldn't expect her to tack up for herself, but the other riders, yes. While 4 riders alone in the ring isn't safe, grooms could very easily hold the horses while the riders tack up, it'd be a very sad thing if a finals winner didn't know how to tack up their own horse.

I certainly wouldn't expect her to tack up for herself, but the other riders, yes. While 4 riders alone in the ring isn't safe, grooms could very easily hold the horses while the riders tack up, it'd be a very sad thing if a finals winner didn't know how to tack up their own horse.
    I'm sure they all know how to tack up their own horses. It's annoying that people speculate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I'm sure they all know how to tack up their own horses. It's annoying that people speculate otherwise.
    I agree. The USEF Talent Search is so different than any other equitation final. Open to anyone under 21, there are even professional riders in this class. Many of the horses used for the finals are high level jumpers, not your typical quiet equitation horse. Having a groom available for the top four is essential and in no way suggests that the riders aren't capable of doing a tack change on their own.

They most certainly know how to. And you can't have a test where 3 of the 4 do something and one doesn't. That's not fair.

My trainer cojudged Maclay finals last year, and the rationale behind having the grooms do it made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LovesHorses View Post
    Go team Potcreek and Lauren Myers! Cara and I are very proud. It was also great to have Sara Nordstrom in the top ten.
    Congrats! Very exciting.

Also, many congrats to Sara Nordstrom. She is just the nicest girl, so happy for her.

Is there anywhere online to watch?