The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain rot... or?

I know this is not a hunter jumper specific issue however our horses are specifically show jumpers and hunters, trying to get as much feedback as possible as the "horse care" section didn't get much.

Seems like a new problem each day! Our weather here has been in the high 70's to high 80's, a little humidity but nothing compared to what we had on the east coast. The photos below are of the "wounds" with Vetericyn on them, the areas where they wounds are have been shaved so we can treat them easier than underneath the horses early grown winter coat. He hasn't realized that he isn't in Germany anymore so his coat is coming a bit early. The sores are located right about where the saddle pad goes, the larger sores are a tad in front of the saddle pad. The larger sores you're seeing are about nickel size, the other photos show some smaller and not as raised sores. The scabs have been taken off as we assumed this was rain rot, however i'm thinking it could possibly be something else. It is only on one side of his back, started spreading but not horribly, staying on this side of his back, and now that we have been using Vetericyn i'm hoping the spreading will cease.

Edited to add: the smaller sores did not / have not scabbed, more just like hair missing (before they were shaved). He has been biting at the area because it itches so badly, when curried or brushed he will not bite at you but does grind his teeth so it's clear that it hurts. We have stopped irritating that area, will be putting a fly sheet on him, too hot to use a sheet and don't particularly want a semi thick material constantly rubbing on it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dwf7cz.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/71i7a8.jpg
    http://i46.tinypic.com/wbqumt.jpg

When I moved from the dry side of WA to the wet side of WA, my horse rain rotted like this. I called the vet because it was NOT the typical pattern i was used to seeing and they laughed at me.
    Keep picking scabs and treating with Vetricyn, or Schreiners, or whatever. It will all heal up.
    Click here for the Roxie blog!

Shapley's MTG is good at fixing all kinds of skin ick. However, I don't use it in the summer when the sun is intense and I never use it under areas of tack or pads without first washing it off (not just hose, shampoo) so that might be a little inconvenient for you.

Not to derail this but why do you wash the MTG off before you ride?

My computer won't load the pictures, for some reason, so take this with a grain of salt - could it be sweet itch?

Could be ringworm. Especially if its spreading and in areas that are in contact with the same pad.

I had a horse react to MTG when it was used under tack. Probably the horse was just super sensitive but I'm cautious now.

Try the cheapest dandruff shampoo you can find. If it is a fungus (rain rot) that will take care of it.
    friend of bar.ka

Interesting as my daughter's dressage horse is in Del Mar and he has the same stuff on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    Interesting as my daughter's dressage horse is in Del Mar and he has the same stuff on his head.
    Interesting! Let me know if you figure out what this is ... i'm very curious. It's come out of nowhere. I am leaning toward believing it could be some sort of sweet itch, the flies have been especially bad here as you know with the weather. Even with our fly system throughout the whole barn.

Very grateful for all the advice! Sounds like it could be any sort of bacterial infection really, I suppose treating it with Vetericyn will take care of any of the above infections or rashes. Thank you again!

I've had better luck using plain old cheap amber colored listerine on skin issues. I've spent a small fortune on actual horse sprays and treatments...always go back to listerine. With just as good or better results.

Eqyss MicroTek Spray will clear that up too! (Just in case the Vetricyn doesn't work)

I usually use Desitin on rain rot, but not when it is on the body of the horse. I only really use it on the legs and on pink noses.

My TB has had some little patches like that and the MicroTek clears it up - spray liberally and curry it in! Leave it on.

Good Luck - I hate skin funk

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    Could be ringworm. Especially if its spreading and in areas that are in contact with the same pad.
    That's what it looks like to me too. Calm Coat will kill that and several other issues as well. He'd be slimey and smell like a pine tree though...