The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle help + Vega saddle question.

I'm currently searching for a new close contact or monoflap saddle for my horse.

I am working with a saddle fitter, but they're having trouble finding ones in my budget (around $2000ish + more if they sell my consigned Schleese dressage saddle) that fit both me and my horse. they have a list of saddles available, but I can find the same ones on ebay for a good $1000 to $1500 less, sometimes even more than that.

I'm about 5' 9", about 140 lbs, with a longer femur. I would likely need either a 17 with a forward flap or a 17.5-18" saddle. My horse is a 3/4 tb, 1/4 tb, and likely needs a medium to medium wide tree depending on brand.

Here is a link to an album containing pictures of my horses back. He's a bit thin and has bite marks because he just moved to a new barn. http://pets.webshots.com/album/583429474saWZXf

My Vega monoflap dressage with a medium tree fits my horse very well, and I love it too, so I was wondering if a Vega close contact would work well? Do the Vega dressage saddles have the same tree as the Vega close contacts?

Please suggest some saddles that may work for my horses back and for my longer femur. I can post pics of me in my current saddle if needed.

Thank you for your help!

I should add the saddles I've tried so far:

Prestige Jumper R- I loved it, but it bridged on Parkers back.

Pessoa Monoflap with interchangable gullet- I loved it, but too straight of a tree and channel too narrow.

Equipe Expression- seat too narrow for me. It felt like my seat bones were sitting right on the edge of the seat.

Schleese JES close contact- I didn't like it. Can't remember exactly why.

Would a Black Country Quantum work? Or maybe a County Symmetry?

I currently own a 17" Collgiate Diploma, but the flap isn't quite forward enough for me, the knee roll is too bulky, and I feel like I have to work to get up 'out of the tack'.

I have a Vega monoflap Dressage saddle (medium wide tree), and my saddle before this was a Black Country Quantum (medium wide tree). I loved that saddle but had to sell it to get the Dressage saddle. Both saddles were professionally fitted. I can't speak to the long legs though!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddys Mom View Post
    I have a Vega monoflap Dressage saddle (medium wide tree), and my saddle before this was a Black Country Quantum (medium wide tree). I loved that saddle but had to sell it to get the Dressage saddle. Both saddles were professionally fitted. I can't speak to the long legs though!
    Was this for the same horse? And did they both fit the horse well?

No solutions for you, but I will be following this thread with interest because I'm in exactly the same boat. My horse has a very similar back to yours, judging from the pictures, and I also need a forward flap (although I weigh a bit more than 140 lbs ). My budget is even similar to yours. Most things I've tried that fit width-wise don't have nearly enough wither clearance

This photo is from a couple of years ago - he's filled out a bit since then, which is why my much-loved jumping saddle doesn't fit anymore:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...6&l=d2e3a7c3ac

Why not talk to Equestrian Imports about the Vega trees.

For County & Black Country - are there any reps in your area, it's usually more efficient to have a demo fitting & then look for used models that both you & your horse like.
    (County has a sale on their in-stock demo saddles but I believe it's ending soon)

thanks for the info guys!

I'm actually located in Canada, so no County reps. I think there is a Black Country rep in the area, but I'm moving out of Ontario to the middle of nowhere ( Saskatchewan) in a about a month. So I'm time limited.

Would an Ashland close contact be a candidate? Or too straight in the tree?

Yes same horse and they fit him great.
    I tried many and those are what my saddle fitter picked as fitting him best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    thanks for the info guys!

I'm actually located in Canada, so no County reps. I think there is a Black Country rep in the area, but I'm moving out of Ontario to the middle of nowhere ( Saskatchewan) in a about a month. So I'm time limited.

Would an Ashland close contact be a candidate? Or too straight in the tree?
    Erin Wilson - just in case she's travelling through your area

Equi-Products does hit Saskatoon

Of course if you do a road trip to Spruce, you'll find everyone

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Erin Wilson - just in case she's travelling through your area

Equi-Products does hit Saskatoon

Of course if you do a road trip to Spruce, you'll find everyone
    Thanks for the info Alto. Great to know there is a saddle fitter in Saskatoon ( I couldn't find anyone in my google searches except western fitters). If I find a deal on ebay I can still have it fitted even if we're in Saskatoon. Unfortunately, that area won't have nearly the same selection of used saddles as the greater Toronto area. A higher end new saddle is just not in my budget.

Definitely try every saddle you can manage while still in Ont - even if it's just about finding what you like; EquiProducts does offer saddle rentals if you need a longer trial.

OP: Are you near Iron Horse where George Morris will be in a few weeks? I understand there were be some demo County saddles there at the clinic.

Come Shine,

Yes I will be there! I bought tickets for the Friday. This is excellent news about County. Now I can at least sit in the saddles to determine if I like them and ask some questions about what types of backs each of their saddles fit best.

Alto, I have been trying to try as many saddles as I can. And the saddle fitters have offered to bring out some Amerigos, but I feel bad having them bring out the saddles when I know I can't afford to buy the saddle off of them (but some on ebay fall into my price range).

I do have another 5 weeks to find a saddle, especially now that I know there is a saddle fitter in Saskatoon.

I really want to find a saddle that fits *both* me and my horse. I've found that in my Vega monoflap dressage. Now just for a jumping saddle. I think with a 2K budget (plus a bit more if my dressage saddle sells) I should be able to find something.... I hope.

Try the barnsby saddles.

Beautifully made in England and they generally fit pronounced wither level back horses very very well (I've had mine on WB through to little TBs very nicely). Most importantly for you, they are balanced for a longer femur so take up the hip to knee length without putting you in a chair seat or too far behind. Good for long legged humans.

I ride in the Schockemohle (love it!). You should be able to find a nice used one in the less than $2,000 range. A very nice saddle for longer legged people plus their leather wears exceptionally well - soft but sturdy enough for years of use.

Good luck.

I just traded in an Amerigo CC with usedsaddles.com. It's in your price range.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I have a brand new barnsby pegasus on the way for a trial. Hopefully it fits us.
    And it was only $950 brand new. It's on clearance. *fingers crossed*

Karosel: I love Barnsbys. Where did you find it?

I have a Vega dressage monoflap that fit my horse well, too, but the jump version didn't at all. The seat was too banana-shaped for her back, and my femur was too long for the flap. Of course, my horse was of freakish proportions. Good luck with your search. Saddle shopping is both fun and maddening!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
    I have a Vega dressage monoflap that fit my horse well, too, but the jump version didn't at all. The seat was too banana-shaped for her back, and my femur was too long for the flap. Of course, my horse was of freakish proportions. Good luck with your search. Saddle shopping is both fun and maddening!
    Well that is kind of what I was thinking after examining some photos of the vega close contact. The shape of the saddle seemed more curved than the vega dressage monoflap, and the flap doesn't seem forward at all. But the Barnsby pegasus cc seems like it may be a better fit..... hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Karosel: I love Barnsbys. Where did you find it?

I got it off ebay. The seller is located in Quebec, which means no duty for me (I'm in Ontario). 7 day trial available too.

here is a link to their store. http://www.ebay.ca/sch/fbhorseequipm...&_trksid=p3686

they only have one other barnsby available. A Milton, I believe. Where it says "flap 3" the seller means the tree size is a medium wide. I believe the flap is just the standard one for the saddle. For the pegasus that I bought it seems like the flap will be forward enough for my knee, my thigh is long, but not super long. But you never know until you sit in it.