The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Pedigree Opinions Appreciated

I'd really appreciate any insight into this boy's pedigree as a sporthorse prospect- http://www.pedigreequery.com/saint+buddha

His name is Saint Buddha, he's a 2008 gelding.

Thanks in advance!!

Any opinions? I'm not familiar with his lines...

Default Pretty common modern pedigree

The issues would be with Buddha and the durability of Unbridled Song and Storm Cat offspring. Neither of the stallions have poor pedigrees for sport and Unbridled Song looks the part of a sport horse. For Buddha Le Fableaux, Caro, Crimson Saint, Kerala are well known for sport but you still need durability for sport and that is about his conformation as an individual regardless of pedigree.
    The dam side is very good and seems sturdier(36 starts) with St Ballado, Tri Jet and another cross to Kerala. Good luck. PatO

Top side is not terribly exciting for me. Soundness issues are legendary in Unbridled's Song get, and Buddha sure wasn't sturdy with only 4 starts. Storm Cat is known for throwing his poor temperament.

The bottom side is quite nice with Herbager, Tri Jet and My Babu, suggesting excellent jumping ability with a lean towards eventing.

On paper it is a pass for me. US known for unsoundness, Halo and SC for difficult temperments. I have a Cheiftain mare here and her temperment is "bold but tempermental".....not one I would really want to cross on even more tempermental horses.

We have a Buddha in our barn who is lovely both in disposition and looks. Very athletic in movement and jumping ability. Some relatives of Storm Cat are not diffcult. I have a grandson who is anything but. Many people like the Fappiano line of Mr. Prospector for sport. I think you ride the horse and not the pedigree. Yes, you can glean insights from a pedigree, but if you are not breeding, I would not say nay or yeah based on pedigree alone.