The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

bludejavu - It sounds very positive. She obviously has a will to live. When do you go back to the vet?

Wraper2 - That is a beautiful cat! What's his name?

Calamber - That white cat looks like a flame-point Siamese. I love meezers - my two formerly girl kitties are Siamese.

StG

Default Yea!

So glad for the positive update!!

On the white cat, yup looks like a flame. I have two of them:

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/...reliot/Flames/
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Wraper2 - that is one gorgeous orange cat. I hope you two can work it out so that StGermain can finally get a bonafide barn cat.

Update on Hope is that she is demanding food now with a very strong meow. I know to keep her increments small but this is where the vet said it might be a slippery slope. If anything undetected is going on with her, it might not matter how much she eats if she does not put on weight, so I'm going to start praying for weight gain, a little at a time.
    Do not stress yourself over the vet's offhand comments. A very starved cat on it's own for God knows how long, can easily look this way, I have had it happen myself. She came around so quickly with just the careful feeding regimen and clearly she had a tapeworm which can really suck the life out of them when they are young, if the tapeworm was old enough to detect with egg sacs it has been there a while. So keep on keeping on with your Hope getting brighter all of the time. We all need Hope clearly so she has to keep the flame. I find it so amazing that she found you in her near dead state, I am sure you think the same way so just let it play out a day at a time, you will see a change soon. Once she reaches that threshhold of beginning to gain some obvious weight you are over the hump, and once she starts playing, well then we have to have an update!

About that flame point kitten, I had a very special Meezer named Ubon Ratchathani, my beautiful girl that traveled with us like a dog. What great cats those Siamese. Sorry to get off track here but that song always comes to my mind when I think of them, "we are Siamese if you please, we are Siamese if you don't please".
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Hoping for a fast recovery for Hope!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Oh my goodness, I want that little white kitty behind the handsome Barn Cat, alas, I am in Washington State.
    Little white kitty is actually big white kitty.... and he is very attached to his dog!

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSCF1305.jpg

StGermain- I call him Smudge. When I first brought him in at 5 weeks he had what I thought was a grease smudge on his side. It is actually black hair. He also has a 1/3 length tail that has a crook in it near the end. (Both there at birth)

You can kinda see the black in this picture.
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...2/DSCF1241.jpg

I actually have quite the family here, I have Smudge and his litter-mate brother, their mother and Aunt, their mother (Smudge's grandmother) and litter-mate aunt and uncle to Smudge. LOL I got the whole colony fixed and refused to return them to the dangers of traffic.

The two oranges are Smudge and his brother, the torti is their Aunt.
    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSCF1319.jpg

I have one or two other cats I'd like to rehome, but they would not be good outdoors cats.... they are too dignified to live 'wild'!

Wraper - It's funny, my Siamese, Papi, loves dogs. And so wants to be loved back by them. When she was a kitten I had a GSD who did love her, only I lost him to spinal issues years ago. Papi doesn't like other cats, she doesn't like any human except me. And she sucks up so hard to my dogs and they just. refuse. to love her back. When one of the dogs comes over to be petted, she runs and jumps in my lap, so she can rub against the dog, who is only there for the scritches. It's really sort of sad.

StG

Wraper2 - you have cat family like I have horse family, everybody's related.

StGermain - Due to extreme emaciation, things were not apparent, even to my vet. However, there is a chance that Hope just might be a Hoppy. Even that is not positive yet and we'll just have to see how things, ...er, "develop." However, if all of his/her problems can solved with just food, then it should be clear sailing from here. I'm being told very clearly that 1.5 Tbsp. isn't enough food at a time, so we will increase it some in a few days. He/she now eats literally anything put in front of her.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

bludejavu - All of my animals become gender-neutral as soon as possible.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by Wraper2 View Post
    Little white kitty is actually big white kitty.... and he is very attached to his dog!

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSCF1305.jpg
    Every dog needs such a beautiful accessory! I guess that one stays then, cannot have such a team broken up.

BTW Blu, if the kitty is processing well (meaning all digestions systems are a go in a normal manner) I would think that 2 big tablespoons at a time are not going to be too much. Hope is not gender specific thank goodness so no need to get all "Hopped" up about it.

Wraper, that pile on is a colorful quilt, I bet your home is busy during feeding hour/s.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

StGermain - I meant to reply to you about your question about the vet and forgot. She's supposed to go back in about another week and a half if she doesn't eat me out of house and home. I have created a food MONSTER! She has figured out the times I feed and tells me very loudly that it's time or past time - pretty smart for a cat who was at death's door a week ago today.

Calamber - I've added a little dry food to her canned food which just today she decided was pretty darn good. I think I have a kitty with a very strong will to live now.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

bludejavu - Has the discharge stopped? Is s/he using the litterbox?

StG

good on you for saving her

Great to hear she/he is eating up a storm! Don't forget to worm again, esp.
    for the tapes, in case the first go around didn't get all the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    bludejavu - Has the discharge stopped? Is s/he using the litterbox?

StG
    Still a little eye seepage, but it's clear now instead of icky yellow. Litterbox usage is perfect (thank God). She is still incredibly weak in the back end and I am wondering if the muscle deterioration might be permanent. That may have been what my vet was referring to by remaining fragile for life. I can't let her try to jump on anything because she's too weak physically even if her mind tells her to do it. I don't need her breaking any bones for sure.
    Susan N.

My friend found a cat in a similar situation to yours. Wait 6 months, you will likely have a totally different, strong, hefty kitty. We thought her cat wouldnt make it or have long term defecits, but no...she's now fat, healthy and cranky.

Updates??

Any update on Hope?

StG

Sorry to not be on here. Work kind of consumed me this week. She is doing very well and has gained a little weight. She is dealing with really bad diarrhea right now though. I have increased her dry food and cut back her canned food. I also completely took away the Kitty Milk. I'm hoping it doesn't mean she has an underlying issue, but I don't think I can get her to the vet until next week due to a very bad schedule this week. If anybody has any ideas on how to get it under control other than feeding her more dry food, I would appreciate advice.
    Susan N.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    If anybody has any ideas on how to get it under control other than feeding her more dry food, I would appreciate advice.
    I'd call the vet again and ask for some meds to help stop the diarrhea. When we found Puzzle as a tiny tiny kitten, she was starving and thin, and once she started to get food, she got liquid feces. Because she was so tiny, I called the vet who prescribed something (and I can't remember what it was) that really helped. As she got older and her intestines matured and healed, it went away and did not come back.

Personally, I would never use any OTC stuff for a cat, as they react so very differently to meds than dogs do.