The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

You might also get some Forti-Flora packets from the vet...basically a probiotic with some extra goodies to boost the immune system. Sprinkle on
    canned food. There are also other probiotic powders and gels that do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Sorry for the lateness of my suggestion (as you're not at the vets any longer) - did vet say anything about fluids? IV is $$$ but you can also do Sub-cutaneous fluids at home; you inject a moderate volume just under the skin & it's absorbed through the day: she sounds as if she would tolerate it well & your friend (vet tech, I think) can help you with the first ones.
    This will usually get them feeling better again quickly - not sure how often you're able to feed her ...

She sounds as if she has an amazing will to live & that will get her through alot

The Fel Leuk will need to be repeated at 6mo & 1-2 years to be certain, but it's definitely good news!
    We talked about if she was dehydrated or not, but he said she seemed to be pretty well hydrated today, so apparently I got enough fluids in her over the weekend and she was willing to lap a little water by herself.

StGermain - thank you for your offer. For now, I can cover the bills. If this gets any higher, I may knock on your door for your generous offer. I try so hard to stand on my own two feet for stuff, but in times past, I've gratefully had to accept help.

Thank you Falconfree - I this the vet trip was very encouraging but definitely didn't mean she was out of the woods. I had no idea what I was getting into Friday - I just saw a dirt thin kitten and my heart turned inside out.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Do you want me to send you the Clavamox I have? I'm happy to!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Big jingles for Hope ! She looks very much like one of my sweet rescues last summer. He was also very skinny, but had a big personality and is finally maturing into a big handsome cat.

Thank you for all you're doing for her !

sk_pacer - that is a pretty neat story about your cat missing a lip, he sounds like he is a tough one too. I did get the Kitty Milk and offered her some just now - I don't know what's in it, but she went for it big time. I think she might give JackandMo's kitty some competition on true love for the stuff!

BasqueMom - I will ask him about a probiotic, it has sure helped some horses in my past. Good idea!

vxf111 - I've got a bottle of it, not sure how far it goes, but if she is to stay on it when this bottle starts getting low, I'll send you my address. Thank you for the offer!

Nlevie - thank you.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

bludejavu - glad she likes it. I dunno what's in it but I have never had a cat refuse it although some are more enthused than others about it. There sure is something in it that attracts them even with a stuffed up nose and it is great for convalescent kittehs as a supplementary feeding. My nose says there is some malt in it and that might be some of the attraction. Your girl might even give Da Lip some competition for love of the stuff.

Yeah, Louie's a tough one, he never should have survived the initial fall but he did and my friends' daughter found him and they told me I needed another cat,. Little bugger stole my heart and he came home with me. The worst of the missing lip is he is a messy eater and I have to keep pulling hair out of his bottom teeth when he grooms himself.

Do keep us up to date on her progress.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Thank goodness for a good report! I bet you were stunned when the vet estimated her age. That's mind-blowing! {{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}} to both of you.

I've been following this thread and jingling for Hope. So glad to hear that she doesn't have Fe Leuk (sp) or Distemper! Jingles that she continues to improve!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

As far as "having" to be indoors because of a poor start, eh, wait and see. Our Kitty was starving when we got her (she was so hungry she was eating seeds and bird droppings--Mom's not a cat person but she started putting food out.) She's never been an indoor cat ever and so far is the only barn cat we have to make it into double-digit ages. Never had any serious health problems until just recently, when she got a HUGE abscess in her jaw, which after a trip to the vet and some time in the Cone of Shame has cleared up.

I'm so glad to hear Hope checked out OK as far as the big diseases go, and that her appetite keeps on improving! The jingles continue that she doesn't have any underlying problems, and continues to thrive.

I'm so happy to read this excellent update!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by incentive View Post
    I bet you were stunned when the vet estimated her age. That's mind-blowing!
    I know I sure was!

I had a feeling I was a little off on guessing her age, but I definitely had no idea I was that far off!

danceronice - I'm glad your kitty made it and if she was eating bird seed, that was desperation. This little girl had gone a little beyond that in that she had lost her desire to eat. I pretty much had to smear her mouth and get her to lick the first couple of days just to turn her back onto food.

I was greeted by some much stronger meows this morning and as of yesterday and today, she WANTS her food, all 1.5 tablespoons of it. It's kind of gratifying just watching her eat. I know it still will be touch and go for awhile, but if she's willing to eat, I feel like that's half the battle.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I know the jingles have done her a world of good, now 'hope'fully, time and good care will do the rest.

StGermain - it's undetermined if I will keep her or not yet. DH and I talked about it and he agrees with me that 3 would be too many. He loves our cats, but he's not really a cat person. He's a dog/horse person.
    Susan N.

bludejavu - I'm very happy she's getting more excited about eating! That's such a good sign - half the battle is getting the will to live. I wouldn't be surprised if your DH doesn't fall in love with such a fighter, but know you have an option here. I don't want you to feel obligated to give up a kitty you love.

StG

My kids (cats) & I have been thinking of you the past few days & are still sending out good vibes. It sounds like she is getting stronger! Such good news all around.

Keep at it, both of you!!

Glad to hear she wants food now!! Huge improvement

Checked the Cat Milk label and it was malt that I smell in there. A brief check of ingredients showed a good amount of taurine and assorted vitamins. Also checked the price and it is 1.69 a carton and the container is HALF what it was last time I needed the stuff
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    bludejavu - I keep trying for a barn cat, and they keep preferring the waterbed. WUWT?

I actually have two neutered boys who will sometimes go out to the barn for a couple weeks, then come back up to the house to recuperate from the oh so exhausting life of lounging in the loft and eating from the feeder.
    StG
    A little off topic here, but I have a cat that needs a barn. He loves getting people attention, but pines for the great outdoors. He is a skilled hunter.... mice, rats, chipmunks, squirrels,snakes (including one copperhead) I am in NW Florida but am willing to help work out transport! ( I have 17 house cats at the moment.... can't allow them outdoors due to major road just 3 houses away. I keep forgetting the ~R~ in TNR!)

Wraper - If we could work out the transport, I'd certainly be willing to take a made barn cat. If anyone is taking a horse from FL to KY, they probably drive near Nashville.

StG

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    Wraper - If we could work out the transport, I'd certainly be willing to take a made barn cat. If anyone is taking a horse from FL to KY, they probably drive near Nashville.

StG
    I could probably get him to Atlanta fairly easily, have family there.

He is neutered already, too.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...2/DSCF1419.jpg

Wraper2 - that is one gorgeous orange cat. I hope you two can work it out so that StGermain can finally get a bonafide barn cat.

Update on Hope is that she is demanding food now with a very strong meow. I know to keep her increments small but this is where the vet said it might be a slippery slope. If anything undetected is going on with her, it might not matter how much she eats if she does not put on weight, so I'm going to start praying for weight gain, a little at a time.
    Susan N.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraper2 View Post
    I could probably get him to Atlanta fairly easily, have family there.

He is neutered already, too.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...2/DSCF1419.jpg
    Oh my goodness, I want that little white kitty behind the handsome Barn Cat, alas, I am in Washington State.
    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK