The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Hope stayed at the vet's office three weeks, the longest I've ever left an animal with a vet.
    Awwwwww, poor Hope! That's great that she came through it so well. All the cats I have would not do well at all at a vet's office for a day, much less three weeks. Glad to hear she is doing so well, though (and that you've decided to call her a "she")! Can't wait for pics!
    Last edited by JumpQH; Nov. 19, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: opppssss...meant to type "Hope"!

One suggestion for the diarrhea that I haven't seen posted yet is basically a power pac for baby Hope.

I adopted a formally feral kitten from a litter that had been trapped by a tech at my vets. The litter had been really ill and treated with almost everything, but she had the most horrible diarrhea. Sort of as a last resort the vet prescribed Panacur and had me do a kitty size double dose for the 5 days. Bingo! No more diarrhea!

Anyway, I wanted to throw that idea in the mix and I hope you the best in conquering this. You have already conquered so much with your little kitty girl/boy!
    Last edited by PrimroseM; Nov. 20, 2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Get kitty's name right! My OCD demanded it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Did they try a course of antibiotics, by any chance? I don't know if it would work or not, but, I had a young adult cat with chronic diarrhea. I dealt with it for about a year, because my vet couldn't figure out what was causing it, either. Then, I had her teeth cleaned. She had a couple pulled and, so, had to go on the antibiotics. Her diarrhea went away and has never come back. The vet figures she had some kind of a low grade infection that didn't show up on routine testing and that the antibiotics happened to clear up, maybe from her teeth, maybe from something else.
    She was on a round of Clavamox after I took her to the vet the first time and that was actually when the diarrhea really got bad. Following surgery, she was on another round but I don't think it was Clavamox. She wasn't here at home, so I wasn't giving it to her. She is now off of antibiotics completely. Her teeth were looked at when I first took her in, which is partially how they gauged her age, due to tartar build-up. He said her teeth looked okay though other than that.

I do have a personal theory about the diarrhea. When any animal reaches an advanced stage of starvation, the body actually begins consuming it's own organs. This is when most horses die, but I suspect Hope was to this stage and I was able to pull her out of it. If my theory is correct, her internal organs may be damaged permanently and only time will tell if she will grow stronger or have a shortened lifespan.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

JumpQH - still no pics. She has been really playful so maybe I can get some good ones tonight.

PrimroseM - I will ask my vet about Panacur as I have to get some meds for my dog tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA - sorry to be so slow replying - work has been terrible this week and either I had no time or literally no energy.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Panacur was what cleared up Tribble corgi's diarrhea this summer. I'm convinced she had giardia from eating goose poop, but regular wormers didn't help. I'd try the Panacur. You can get the equivalent from Drs Foster & Smith for WAY cheaper and no RX necessary.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

bludejavu - Is it possible that with the first round of antibiotics her gut flora was wiped out? Maybe some yoghurt would help re-establish her digestive health.

Ohh...I want to tell you - I adopted a little kitten whose mother was a stray that gave birth under a co-worker's shed. The mom died when the kittens were about 6 weeks. I got him in a copier paper box, so his name is Jack (in the Box). Here he is on my freshly-painted front porch.

StG

1 members found this post helpful.

Ask the vet for some Forta-Flora packets....a probiotic that can help.

Glad to hear she is feeling well & you are both having a good time. Jingles for her diarrhea issue...

you've gotten her through so much, I am sure you will get through/over this, too.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    bludejavu - Is it possible that with the first round of antibiotics her gut flora was wiped out? Maybe some yoghurt would help re-establish her digestive health.

Ohh...I want to tell you - I adopted a little kitten whose mother was a stray that gave birth under a co-worker's shed. The mom died when the kittens were about 6 weeks. I got him in a copier paper box, so his name is Jack (in the Box). Here he is on my freshly-painted front porch.

StG
    Congratulations on your new family member! I just love your house BTW! The red color is perfect and you need to post a picture if you decorate for Christmas because I know it will be gorgeous. If gut flora is wiped out, I can't tell it. As Basque Mom suggested, when Hope came home from the vet, they gave me a box of Forti-Flora that was about to expire, but it was still definitely good to use. She's been getting a pack daily, but no change in her diarrhea. I asked about the Panacur when I went in to get meds for my dog this Friday, but my vet was so busy with Thanksgiving overflow, the receptionist said he would call me on Monday about it.
    Susan N.

I have tried Forti-Flora on my foster kittens with diarrhea and never noticed much improvement. One vet suggested to me keeping the diet very basic, which makes sense, so I have taken to feeding them boiled chicken, which they usually like and will eat. I don't know if that is what is helping the most, but my current bunch has showed a big improvement over the last few days. The fact that you're kitten is older may require a different strategy. I think diarrhea in kittens and cats is the biggest worry of our rescue.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com