The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Formal Attire experts

Our local association has a "Hunt Night" at their annual show that requires formal/hunt attire. And, even though I probably can't afford to go this year, here's my question:

It seems we have agreed that shadbellies are a big NO on kids, especially those on ponies. What about an adult on (and fits) a large pony? Just curious. Thanks!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I vote yes to this, since it's hunt night. If it was said adult on said pony in the 2'6 Bit O' Straw classic, then I'd say stick with the nice dark coloured hunt coat.

Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    Our local association has a "Hunt Night" at their annual show that requires formal/hunt attire. And, even though I probably can't afford to go this year, here's my question:

It seems we have agreed that shadbellies are a big NO on kids, especially those on ponies. What about an adult on (and fits) a large pony? Just curious. Thanks!
    While COTH may think that shadbellies are a no on kids, the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree that way, as seen by the 200+ kids at pony finals. It's socially acceptable, even if COTHers are annoyed by it.
    But yes, a shad is appropriate.

It's socially acceptable, even if COTHers are annoyed by it.
    But for things relating to an actual hunt, with formal HUNT attire, shads on children are not socially acceptable.

If we're talking about formal attire expressly for the show ring, it's been a twee (extremely) bit bastardized.

But for hunt night - explicitly in the tradition of the hunt - I would certainly avoid it.

An adult on a pony is still an adult.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    But for things relating to an actual hunt, with formal HUNT attire, shads on children are not socially acceptable.

If we're talking about formal attire expressly for the show ring, it's been a twee (extremely) bit bastardized.

But for hunt night - explicitly in the tradition of the hunt - I would certainly avoid it.

An adult on a pony is still an adult.

Agree and to add, w/ shadbelly one would have worn a tophat and jrs. would not be expected to wear tophats. It was attire to be worn by adults.

You do know that hardly anyone, even in the most formal hunts, actually wears shadbellies hunting, right? Sure, you may see a couple on Opening meet or Thanksgiving at a very formal hunt, but shads are really only popular in horse show land. They're cold and the tails catch prickers and stuff. And there are no useful pockets.. Plus all the flapping makes even the best mover look like you're riding a pogo stick.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

A frock coat is far more versatile. Three buttons for most.

Shadbelly on adult women whatever the size of the mount.

For Hunt Night, BROWN LEATHER GLOVES should be worn with your white string gloves fingers facing rump under the offside billets. Unless it's actually raining then the leather gloves go in your pockets.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Shadbelly on adult women whatever the size of the mount.

For Hunt Night, BROWN LEATHER GLOVES should be worn with your white string gloves fingers facing rump under the offside billets. Unless it's actually raining then the leather gloves go in your pockets.
    I think fingers face forwards, with thumb against the horse, making the correct glove for each hand end up on that side of the horse.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    While COTH may think that shadbellies are a no on kids, the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree that way, as seen by the 200+ kids at pony finals. It's socially acceptable, even if COTHers are annoyed by it.
    But yes, a shad is appropriate.
    Shads on kids are ridiculous and smacks of Toddlers and Tiaras syndrome!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I think fingers face forwards, with thumb against the horse, making the correct glove for each hand end up on that side of the horse.
    Yes, fingers face forward, thumbs in, with fingertips just showing in front of the flap.

3-button black, navy, or dark oxford coats with a white stock is acceptable for all in Hunt Night competitions. If a member has their colors, they can wear a frock coat.

If an adult is wearing a tail coat (shadbelly for women, weaselbelly or cutaway for a gent), then *please* use a regular vest underneath, not those horrid points, as inevitably the coat rides up just a bit and flashes your shirt. Ugh. It ruins the look.

Juniors should either be in a 3-button black, navy, or dark oxford gray hunt coat, or tweed (ratcatcher attire), which is ALWAYS proper for a junior.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles