The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default i miss the "show life" :/

This is a mild rant/search for ideas.

It's been years since I've been in the show ring. I loved it. I never did but local shows(NTHJC) back in the day as they were, of course, cheaper. I had a great horse-i still do- that I loved showing off. I loved the chaos. The early mornings (well, at the time not so much haha) the late nights.

Money got tighter. I stopped showing. Switched to a less busy barn. There wernt many jumping opportunities. Life got busier. Wasn't able to ride as often. Started to get back into it for college but was not too fond of the program where I was and I was not allowed to jump more than an x because I had no A circuit or 4H background... (which is a whole other rant....the 4H around here isn't really known for their horsey aspect... And even a western record cleared you for higher jumping...) So I ended up dropping the IHSA team. And soon after the entire school. Went xcountry to work at a ranch. Became the pony trainer and trail guide and pretty much everything. For multiple reasons, I left. Soon after found out I was pregnant. Fast forward, start having soundness issues with my horse due to a terrible Farrier.

Finally get to the point that I might be able to do small occasional shows.... But my horses feet aren't doing much better. Decide to have a vet xray his feet.

Those results are in another thread of mine. He has been semi retired now, cleared for W/T only. He is being leased out as a lesson packer for little kids once or twice a week. He loves it but he isn't much riding use for me anymore. Which really frikkin sucks!

I'm at a loss of what to do. I would love to find a project horse to work with and start showing once my son gets a little older and his dad gets home. I know its doable. Eventually. It's the meantime that sucks. I don't have the funds at the moment to undertake another horse. It's pretty depressing, actually.

I could look for a working student position, but that's a bit hard to come by around here and I'm still working on getting back into shape.

I could take some lessons here and there but I just don't feel like I could fit in at any decent barn around here :/ not many cater to young adults its mostly young kids and teenagers. And the barns with a trainer there tend to be show barns gone most of the time.

does anyone have ay suggestions for really anything? I'm at such a loss... I was so excited to bring my horse back into the circuit but I feel like all my dreams have been crushed now. :/
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Default It won't be long before Junior is in school

then find a decent barn where you can either work, or work off lessons

Stop feeling sorry for yourself,life happens to all of us, you'll get back to it when time and money allow, and not before. If you have a healthy child and someone to care about the two of you, you'll be back in the tack soon enough.

Try to enjoy what you have, we've all been in the "omg, I'll never have a horse/show/compete again".

There is life after small children, try to be a bit patient.

Have you tried the horseless rider thread over on off course. Trust me, there are plenty of people who have horses and no time to ride them or they are not suitable for their owners. If you weren't across the county from me I have two you could play with.

Start taking lessons again. You will meet people and they will get to know you & your skills. Down the road someone may need a rider to hop on and exercise & your name could come up. No training just a hack. You've got nothing to lose and alot to gain. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzebra View Post
    This is a mild rant/search for ideas.

It's been years since I've been in the show ring. I loved it. I never did but local shows(NTHJC) back in the day as they were, of course, cheaper. I had a great horse-i still do- that I loved showing off. I loved the chaos. The early mornings (well, at the time not so much haha) the late nights.

Money got tighter. I stopped showing. Switched to a less busy barn. There wernt many jumping opportunities. Life got busier. Wasn't able to ride as often. Started to get back into it for college but was not too fond of the program where I was and I was not allowed to jump more than an x because I had no A circuit or 4H background... (which is a whole other rant....the 4H around here isn't really known for their horsey aspect... And even a western record cleared you for higher jumping...) So I ended up dropping the IHSA team. And soon after the entire school. Went xcountry to work at a ranch. Became the pony trainer and trail guide and pretty much everything. For multiple reasons, I left. Soon after found out I was pregnant. Fast forward, start having soundness issues with my horse due to a terrible Farrier.

Finally get to the point that I might be able to do small occasional shows.... But my horses feet aren't doing much better. Decide to have a vet xray his feet.

Those results are in another thread of mine. He has been semi retired now, cleared for W/T only. He is being leased out as a lesson packer for little kids once or twice a week. He loves it but he isn't much riding use for me anymore. Which really frikkin sucks!

I'm at a loss of what to do. I would love to find a project horse to work with and start showing once my son gets a little older and his dad gets home. I know its doable. Eventually. It's the meantime that sucks. I don't have the funds at the moment to undertake another horse. It's pretty depressing, actually.

I could look for a working student position, but that's a bit hard to come by around here and I'm still working on getting back into shape.

I could take some lessons here and there but I just don't feel like I could fit in at any decent barn around here :/ not many cater to young adults its mostly young kids and teenagers. And the barns with a trainer there tend to be show barns gone most of the time.

does anyone have ay suggestions for really anything? I'm at such a loss... I was so excited to bring my horse back into the circuit but I feel like all my dreams have been crushed now. :/
    Boy, can I sure sympathize. You and I are in more or less the same boat, my dear. Not a lot of options for us who are absolutely obsessed with training and showing with the best whilst our pockets and wallets are next to empty. Any money I make now goes straight to my commute from SF Bay Area to Tahoe area on a weekly basis, and any other bills. I'm in such a dreadful state without riding

I saw a parade today and saw horses for the first time in a month or so. I was practically drooling! Hah.
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"