The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I love little horses! My current mare is 15.2 and a smidge.... when you have plenty of step and a great jump, size doesn't matter!

Here she is last weekend, finishing up her PreGreen year.

Onwards to the 3'6 in 2013!

http://www.facebook.com/kathleen.osg...type=3&theater

My current mare is 15.2 (shh... don't tell her, she thinks she's at least 16.2) We've been showing in the Adult Amateur hunters, but at home, we've schooled up to 3'6. Here she is at a show a few weekends ago where we jogged 1st and 2nd over fences.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93...ps8935d909.jpg

Pulling this back up as I think about how petite my mare is... patience, patience... one must have patience with growing warmbloods.

(Disclaimer: I am not necessarily holding my breath for the "up" part, more the "out" part - she is still so narrow!)

I've been working with a cute TB mare who is around 15hh, although I've never measured her. Not quite a success story yet, as she's still green but here's a confo shot. She jumps very cute as well. Sorry she's a bit dirty!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2538379...7631920085178/

Edit!!

Here is a nice jumping photo I got today! Not the best quality as it's off a video.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2538379...5178/lightbox/
    Last edited by refresh; Nov. 26, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

My beloved little ConnieXTB Peanut (the real Small Change) was only 14.3h and about as wide as a fence board, but didn't let his size hold him back one bit. While we never would have set out to buy one that size for me (I'm 5'6") he, like yours, was a homebred, so I fell in love with and rode what we had! I was actually grateful for the 1 inch that pushed him out of the pony divisions, as it meant I had no restrictions on what I could show him in as an adult.

We played in the hunter ring with some success at the 3'0" height, with my own inexperience being what held him back the most. I brought him along myself, so he had to deal with my amateur skillz. I kept saying that any shortcomings he displayed were only a direct reflection of the monkey on his back! Strides were never a problem - if we got really excited, we could even leave them out!

Here's a few pictures of the adorable little guy himself:
    Adult Am hunters
    The first time either of us jumped a "big" fence.
    A/A hunters again, showing how not-wide he was!
    Jumping at home
    Doing what he did best, making me smile!

Well not a jumper but our best racehorse was only 14.2hh. We bought him very cheaply because of his height and he won 13 races for us, often carrying topweight! He certainly didn't know how small he was.

My old junior/ao jumper is 15.1 & 1/4.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse of a lifetime is 15.2 1/4 - I've owned him for nearly 5 years and he has taken me from the children's through the junior hunters (and now adults). Along the way we have been USEF Zone HOTY Champion, have qualified for Devon and all of the indoor finals - and even finished my last junior year 17th in the country. I don't think that his size has had any effect on him or his competitiveness. I actually like that he's so little! Its like I have gotten to stay on a pony my whole life!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...55583914_n.jpg

Years ago I owned a barely 15 hand Appaloosa (gasp!) that was pretty competitive in the A/A hunters. I still have the Tri-Color he won at Middleburg Classic at age 25! He was an ok mover but a GREAT jumper and never had trouble getting down the lines. He was so fun to ride because he really thought he was 17 hands.

If I can figure out how to link a picture once I get to a computer I will!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

1 members found this post helpful.

Small is just a state of mind!

I rode a 15.3h QH in the hunters and we were quite successful. Sure, we couldn't lope down the lines like a WB with a huge stride, but he had a fantastic jump. We also showed him in the Smalls, and he cleaned up. Most importantly, he was a BLAST to ride and would jump anything I pointed him at (even an airy 4'6" vertical....although his ears were giving me the "uh...are you sure about this?" twitch as we were approaching it).
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

"Dancer"

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...01250289uvVBHY

This was my 15H wonder horse. He did Training level eventing (and schooled every prelim fence at the woodside horse park), and went on to a H/J home where he did BOTH Sm. Jr. Hunters and Children’s Jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    Not mine but Stroller was kind of successful and little.
    Ditto this. Google Stroller and Marion Coalks Mould...Bronze Olympic medalists in 1968. Stroller was 1.48 in height... polo pony sized!
    Later, the Olympic Gold Medalist in 1988, Jappeloup with Pierre Durand. He was a little black fire ball!
    Also, Hickstead and Eric Lamaze. The horse was small and not big bodied but was made of rubber. I could swear he had springs instead of horseshoes.
    Last but not least, the great Itot du Chateau, ridden by Edwina Alexander, 2012 Global Champions Tour leader.
    As you can see, I'm a sucker for a small horse with a big heart.
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

The first horse I did the 3ft on was a 15.2h TB and we never had trouble with the lines (albeit it was only the ch hunters.)

But when I did the jumpers I showed against a 14.3h "pony" very frequently. They only had issues with the lines when the rider pulled too much...same problem anyone would have regardless of horse size.

And don't forget Athena and Charlie Jayne...clearly they didn't have issues with striding in the Pfizer Million!
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I bought my TB mare as a 4 yr old in May 2011, she was 15.3 and a bit. A year and a half later she is somewhere around 16.3+. We haven't sticked her but she is huge. And boy has she filled out in the last 6 months.

I showed a 15h TB this summer and we had no problem getting down the lines, in fact her stride could get so big we could easily take out strides.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Years ago I owned a barely 15 hand Appaloosa (gasp!) that was pretty competitive in the A/A hunters. I still have the Tri-Color he won at Middleburg Classic at age 25! He was an ok mover but a GREAT jumper and never had trouble getting down the lines. He was so fun to ride because he really thought he was 17 hands.

If I can figure out how to link a picture once I get to a computer I will!
    As promised--this is from Ocala 1999.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...993aa8&theater

4 members found this post helpful.

^^^^ Love him! Look at those knees! Lots of little jumping Apps on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    ^^^^ Love him! Look at those knees! Lots of little jumping Apps on this thread
    Thanks! He was 25 when that picture was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    As promised--this is from Ocala 1999.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...993aa8&theater

Wow, look at those knees!!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Little Big Man!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBY-6nobKw

Also, my AO Jumper was about 15'1, we did very well together in the 4'3 classes. One of the best horses I ever rode, I miss her!
    Impossible is nothing.

Oh, I bet you'll get the extra inch. I brought home an old 4 year old from the track last year and she put on over an inch in less than a year! Although I think she was doing a little catching up.

Have you ever heard of Stroller? 14.1 H TB/Connemara Pony. Silvered in Mexico behind Snowbound, with one of the two faultless rides in what is still considered the most challenging olympic course of all time.