The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Small Horse Success Stories

    I'm starting to accept the fact that my beloved little mare will always be a "little mare". I'm still secretly hoping for another inch in height, but realistically, she's probably mostly done her horizontal growth.

    SO - on that note, tell me your h/j success stories with your small horses! Pictures are a bonus.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,160



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Right now (@ 4) she's probably a smidge under 15.2hh. Still hasn't filled out yet, so we'll see.

    Her 3/4 sister was at the farm recently; she's a 5yo and about 15.3 and a lot thicker than my mare. I would love for my horse to hit 15.3, but am starting to come to terms with a solid 15.2, haha.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2006
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    My best jumper was a very nondescript bay mare who was maybe 15 or 15.1 and slight. She was a fun horse. If you can ignore my crappy form, here is a Pic. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ill_Page_1.jpg

    I would take another like her in a heartbeat!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,160

    Default

    My mare is a big bodied 15.3 and change - I make her look bigger because I'm ridiculously tiny and she's pretty solid. This is one of my favorite picture couplings I have of her...

    Walking past a fence (incidentally, the other horse in the picture is more than 2 hands bigger than Nikki!): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5895553_n.jpg
    Jumping said fence: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7125945_n.jpg



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2012
    Location
    NYC=center of the universe
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    She's still growing!!! She'll grow up and out!!

    My 17-17.1hh mare just turned 8 in August. I've had her since mid-May of 2011, less than a year and a half. She easily added an inch+++ and filled out. And she didn't need any more height!

    I think you will get your inch! Maybe more!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2012
    Location
    NYC=center of the universe
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    Teddy O'Connor did quite well, and I believe he was a pony!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    Not mine but Stroller was kind of successful and little.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    My mare is a big bodied 15.3 and change - I make her look bigger because I'm ridiculously tiny and she's pretty solid. This is one of my favorite picture couplings I have of her...

    Walking past a fence (incidentally, the other horse in the picture is more than 2 hands bigger than Nikki!): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5895553_n.jpg
    Jumping said fence: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7125945_n.jpg
    Love your mare! You guys look great.
    ....I also love your blue coat! Details on that lovely garment?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,160

    Default

    Thank you! My blue coat is a JustWorld coat - I'm a rider ambassador for them and in addition to raising awareness and arranging fundraising events, a percentage of money I win goes to the organization annually.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Location
    recent transplant to the Peper
    Posts
    534

    Default

    my mare is a very VERY slight 15.3. She is very narrow and to quote my boyfriend (who breaks and starts horses) has said she feels like a tiny two year old to him.

    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=bf82d13515


    This was her a couple of months ago at Upperville. When I get updated photos I can send them.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2009
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    There is an absolutely adorable 15.2 hand TB gelding that does the AO's at the shows in our area. He looks like a mini-warmblood. His owner is short too, so I always assumed he was 16.2 until I stood next to him! He jumps with his knees to his eyeballs and seems to have no problem making the lines. As long as your mare has a big stride, there's no reason she can't be a great hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2012
    Location
    The Part of TN in the Wrong Time Zone
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    My hony was at one point a children's hunter that made it down the lines. http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9sgpmLsc71rq47vp.jpg



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    She's still growing!!! She'll grow up and out!!

    My 17-17.1hh mare just turned 8 in August. I've had her since mid-May of 2011, less than a year and a half. She easily added an inch+++ and filled out. And she didn't need any more height!

    I think you will get your inch! Maybe more!
    I hope so. The problem is that she's been roughly this size for the past year and change (coming 3 - 4 & change). She's probably only grown about 1/2'' behind and maybe 1/4'' up front. I know she will definitely grow OUT, but I'm not so sure about UP. It is very very rare for us to have a horse this small with her breeding, so hopefully she's just a super late bloomer? That being said, if I don't see any growth over this winter, I may just throw in the towel and hope she has an easy 12' stride in spite of her petite size.

    I mentioned her 3/4 sister being larger @ 5 (one year older), so I'm hoping for a little more from that... however, that mare's sire was a full, thick European WB stud whereas my mare's sire is said WB stallion's son, and has 1/4 TB on his damside. That may contribute to her smaller size. Her sire is a modernly built 16.1, and her dam was about the same. My mare herself string tested to about 16/16.1 when she was a yearling, but we aren't even close to that so I don't ever expect to get there.

    Ah well, who knows. I'll keep hoping for 15.3hh... In the mean time, it's great to hear about the little guys.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    523

    Default

    My old mare was just barely 15.1 on a tall day. Like me she was short but burly so she had the build to take up a much taller riders leg. For all I know she was a grade horse of some sort but she had a stride that was out of this world and would jump anything from anywhere. I adored her.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ncess/jump.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0018.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1010071new.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...10057new-1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_1628.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pt22011new.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cessTrot01.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...incessWalk.jpg

    Sorry...can you tell I miss her...



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2011
    Location
    Elkridge, MD
    Posts
    45

    Default

    The last horse I owned (in high school) was a 15.2 (being generous here!) Connemara/TB x. BEST. HORSE. EVER.

    He was not one to ever get close to a fence and he made the horse strides. Plus, he looked basically like a giant small pony hunter, so he always got noticed.

    Small horses are great! It's all about suitability. I'd rather see someone well-mounted on a small horse than overfaced and struggling with a large horse (because I've been both people!)


    http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/39...600x600Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/49...600x600Q85.jpg to fully embrace your small horse, you must jump a sofa with it
    http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/52...600x600Q85.jpg bonus points if your small horse approaches being wider than he or she is tall
    Last edited by vixen; Sep. 21, 2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Edited because good lord my initial pictures were small


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2011
    Location
    Madison, GA
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vixen View Post
    The last horse I owned (in high school) was a 15.2 (being generous here!) Connemara/TB x. BEST. HORSE. EVER.

    He was not one to ever get close to a fence and he made the horse strides. Plus, he looked basically like a giant small pony hunter, so he always got noticed.

    Small horses are great! It's all about suitability. I'd rather see someone well-mounted on a small horse than overfaced and struggling with a large horse (because I've been both people!)


    http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/39...600x600Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/49...600x600Q85.jpg to fully embrace your small horse, you must jump a sofa with it
    http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/52...600x600Q85.jpg bonus points if your small horse approaches being wider than he or she is tall
    I got quite a kick out of your first two pics! I love your face and your horse's face in the first one and the sofa is just funny Nice horse!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 19, 2011
    Location
    Madison, GA
    Posts
    2,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    My best jumper was a very nondescript bay mare who was maybe 15 or 15.1 and slight. She was a fun horse. If you can ignore my crappy form, here is a Pic. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ill_Page_1.jpg

    I would take another like her in a heartbeat!
    She reminds me of an 18 year old or so horse I used to ride 11 years ago! Maybe 15 or 15.1, narrow, and would jump anything you put in front of her. Looked just like your horse too!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2003
    Location
    Brenham, TX
    Posts
    4,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    She's still growing!!! She'll grow up and out!!
    Maybe. Maybe not.

    My 5-yr-old warmblood mare (registered and branded Oldenburg) is 15.1hh and has been that size since she was 3. She just didn't grow. Neither parent is huge but both are around 16hh. I have a mare by the same stallion out of a 15.2hh mare that got to 16.2hh. So, it is just weird that she turned out to be a midget but she did. Just happens sometimes.

    You can usually tell if they look like they are going to grow or not. You could tell at 3 that my mare was about done growing. She wasn't long legged, wasn't gangly, wasn't butt high, etc. She was in proportion and just looked done, which she was.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2005
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not.

    My 5-yr-old warmblood mare (registered and branded Oldenburg) is 15.1hh and has been that size since she was 3. She just didn't grow. Neither parent is huge but both are around 16hh. I have a mare by the same stallion out of a 15.2hh mare that got to 16.2hh. So, it is just weird that she turned out to be a midget but she did. Just happens sometimes.

    You can usually tell if they look like they are going to grow or not. You could tell at 3 that my mare was about done growing. She wasn't long legged, wasn't gangly, wasn't butt high, etc. She was in proportion and just looked done, which she was.
    Yep, this is where I am now! I don't think my mare has ever had an "awkward" stage. Right now she is a bit leggy but not unproportionally so. She is still fairly narrow for her breeding so I suspect she will beef up a bit, but I'm still not convinced on the height part. Fingers crossed for another inch or so though. Last time I measured her (May), she was 1/2'' higher in behind.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Dec. 14, 2010, 04:58 PM
  2. Share your small horse success story...
    By Carol O in forum Dressage
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2010, 11:28 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 10, 2010, 03:18 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: Oct. 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Sep. 1, 2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness