The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

One thing to note: A lot of saddles have a serial number stamped on them. You can send that to the company and they can tell you what model it is and when it was made. I know you can do that with Hermes. I think you can do that with passiers also. (I have owned a lot, but no longer do so I can't check for you).

GT (Georg thedoresceou) saddles were similar to the first, Katerinas are not. I like the four billets as well.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    Looks like a Passier PSL. I have no idea what PSL stands for. It was a saddle that was available in the 80's right before the Grand Gilbert became available. I still have mine.

I still have mine as well. It does NOT have a cushy seat but considering I bought it in the 80's and still have it, and can use it, says a lot to me.

I would buy it.

Looks to be in super shape. Too bad there is no picture of the billetts. I have one of these with flat-ish knee rolls, but the same style seat.
    Find out what the number of the saddle is, and email Passier, They will be able to tell you exactly the model and the year it was made, plus if anything special was done to it.

It is similar looking to the Passier Century I had years ago.
    \"Have a heart that never hardens, a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.\" Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by bthatasitmay View Post
    What, like a hundred years ago?

Pictures are on their way of the billets, gullet, and serial number. I can't wait! Seller says it's from the 1980's, but with the serial number, I can find out its exact provenance.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I bought a used Passier and when I emailed the serial number they emailed the same day with all the details about it. They're great that way. I love my Passier. I have a friend with one 20+ years old still going strong as well. they're just fabulous saddles.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bthatasitmay View Post
    Yup....same here....hundred years ago....at least.

Default pre-named saddle

This saddle is from before Passier started naming saddles. I have owned this saddle and it's just a nice saddle that stays out of your way. What is the tree size, do you know? A Passier 3 tree fits everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ljo View Post
    This saddle is from before Passier started naming saddles. I have owned this saddle and it's just a nice saddle that stays out of your way. What is the tree size, do you know? A Passier 3 tree fits everything.
    What year would that be? Is that why older Passiers are often advertised as a PS Baum, which is actually the type of tree?

I should find out all the relevant details this week.

A helmet saved my life.

I'd bet it is a GT. It's a nice minimalist saddle, and it looks like it is in good condition for it's age. Ask for the serial number and email the company, they can tell you the age and model. The PSL had a textured knee roll, and was shorter in the flap, it was a more *sporty* dressage saddle aimed at people who rode more cross country without wanting to jump too much.
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

http://www.saddlersrow.com/17-Passie...t-p/d20559.htm

It looks like an older GT, and in good condition.
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

Great saddle if it fits you and your horse. You can drive a truck over these older Passiers.

The sellers have good reasons to be slow about responding to my inquiries. I still don't even know the tree size yet. Wish I could speed things up.

A helmet saved my life.

Would Kieffer be able to tell me about my saddle if I sent them the serial number? I know it's older (it's an Aachen) but I'd love to know how old!

It's definitely one of the old style Passiers. I got myself a used GT and this model is very similar to it, mine has the short billets as well except it's black.

If you're looking for used Passiers, the shop where I got mine from now has a used GG
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Passi...item76c1a78d8a
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Baum is actually the German word for Tree. "PS Baum" designated their Passier Softline Tree.
    Their trees were made using bamboo strips, but they also have synthetic trees now.
    Beautiful saddles with a lot of tradition, but they haven't really changed their design much over the years. Just now they are starting to make wider gullets and a panel that integrates shoulder relief.
    I know this because my friend Jochen Schleese did his apprenticeship and his master's certification with them almost 30 years ago!