The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black show pad for a bay?

How tacky do you think it is to use a black pad on a dark bay for dressage? I think my horse looks much better in black than white, so at most of my events I've used my black BOT pad. I forgot my BOT pad once, so I just grabbed a white pad and someone at my barn said something to the effect of 'thank god, it's about time you got a white pad". I know it's personal preference, I can do whatever I want, etc. But, in your opinion, is it tacky to use a black pad on a dark bay? I've seen lots of greys using black, but never a bay.

For reference, here's my horse in a black pad and then a white pad. Ignore the crappy-ness of these pictures, they're chosen for the view of the saddle pads
    http://alphaandomega.exposuremanager...f1_0184_7_3_97
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.co...0709_3_116_166
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I think the white looks better
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Lovely horse. Lovely pics.

I think the black pad looks much better. I almost always prefer black pads to white ones. They look classier, IMO. Is the person who told you "about time you got a white one" a very conventional person who generally goes along with the majority instead of thinking for themselves? Has anyone else commented? Was that comment a response to your question or did the person just throw it out at you?

I think the black pad looks great on your horse with the black tack, black points, and your black garments.

Besides the fact that I think the black pads look better, white dressage pads tend to creep me out because some of them, when they get really sweaty, (depending on the fabric they're made of, maybe) look to me like wet diapers.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Obviously personal preference, but I do not like the black. I would not show in it.

Generally I like white on bays but on your horse, I prefer the black pad! It brings out his (her?) dark coloring while emphasizing the brown highlights and in general, looks very classy. On a bright bay, I think white is best but yours looks great in black. For a more formal look, you might try a black pad with gold cording around the edge. That would look really sharp on your horse!

I have a grey horse and I show in black too. A white pad tends to make my horse look dirty, even if she's sparkling.

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

I think the black pad looks great. I agree with the poster above, the black looks great coordinated with your coat and your horse's points. JMHO, but there's my 0.02 contribution.
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

I have a darker bay mare with a long back, like yours. I go back and forth between black and white, but when I look at pictures, I like the look of black better. It helps with those horses that have longer backs to make it less obvious. I think your horse looks very good in black. The white is a little shocking.

I have a grey and white makes her look yellow. I usually use a deep charcoal pad or black. White is conventional but I say go with what looks best to you in photos and video.

You didn't ask "Is it tacky" but you asked "How tacky is it," so you pretty much said you think it's tacky to show in a black pad, just wondering to what degree it's tacky. Plenty of people do show in them and look very good. But there are only two people whose opinions matter: yours and the judge's. The judge doesn't care. Really. So if you think it's tacky, don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I really like the look of the black pad on your horse because he has no white (at least on his legs, couldn't see his face). The white is quite startling to me in that photo whereas the black is complimentary.

I've just started using black on my chestnut tobiano because white pads can make his white spots look dirtier/yellower than they are. I ride in brown tack, and the black looks good with my black boots/helmet. I don't think black is tacky at all. And I agree that a subtle gold braid or piping would complement your outfit if you want to purchase a show pad other than your BOT.

Thanks guys! Since the response wasn't an overwhelming "Don't do it!", I think I will stick with what I think looks best. It's a lot easier to keep a black pad clean than a white one!

cmdrcltr- the one only white he has is a spot on his forehead. It's soooo nice to not have to clean white spots.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...ze=1360%2C2048
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I have a mahogany bay young horse and black looks better on him, too. The black pad is striking on your horse. It is enough different that it is pleasing, but not shouting. Just do it.

The black looks like you are schooling. The white pad is too big.

I love colors, and use them all the time, except at shows. At shows I use white or off white.

I use a black pad on my bay occasionally at USDF shows--usually when it's raining--to spare the white ones from potential mud.

Go for it.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I confess to not looking at your pics. But I did want to chip in that I once saw at a show a bay horse with a black saddle pad that had a silvery rope piping. It looked fantastic!

I use black pads at shows all the time, but they usually have trim on them. White piping, black and white twist, black/white small checks, silver. I have a chestnut with lots of white that I've shown lots in a chocolate pad with gold braid trim.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Go for it, but as a person showing a dark bay horse, I prefer white on bays/solid colors.

Pic: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...85938539_n.jpg

Of course, in stadium, I donned a black pad last weekend: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...62674432_n.jpg

Then again, I also show in brown tack ... so I'm not the most fashion forward lol

All that said, I've contemplated a fitted, brown pad for my little palomino pinto since a white pad just shows off how her white is never white enough and doesn't highlight her well. (pic of her with white pad: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L...0/IMG_3347.JPG)

I am cussing my white pad now after it accidentally got washed with a red shirt and now it's pink. Anyone have opinions on showing with a pink pad? lol (just gotta pick up some RIT color remover and it'll be as good as new)

Before looking at your photos, I would say definitely white! But I did look and your horse looks lovely in the black pad! At a show this past weekend, there was a woman who showed a very dark bay in a cream pad and breeches and it was gorgeous.

White is so much classier on a bay. Keep the black pads for schooling and get a few nice white ones for show.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Personally I prefer white or light colored pads for showing (even on my grey). Black to me always says "I didn't bother getting everything clean enough to wear it with white." That said, there is no rule or anything against it, so if you really love it so much more, go right ahead. Nice looking horse, btw!!
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht