The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone recognize this Passier?

http://www.horseclicks.com/hannover_...e/advert/60356

It is listed as a Hannover, but I am skeptical that is the model because Hannover appears on the brand logo.

I think this must be an old ad judging from the number of views, so I am interested in looking elsewhere for one of these.

Anyone recognize this?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I'm interested to hear what other people know. This looks like the dressage saddle I rode in when I was a teenager in the late 70's. At that time, the only thing I ever remember hearing was brand name and then dressage or jumping. I don't remember hearing any "names" or different models from the different manufacturers.

Is there anyone who was in the business then that knows?

I rode in Passiers for years. They are made in Hanover Germany and so hence they say that, but they DID make a model called a Hanover, but it had a molded flap in the front (very nice look). This looks to me like a Passier Whitman Cambrai because of the white piping.

Passiers are good saddles. You would probably do better to go with a newer model, though, like a Nicole Grand Gilbert. They tend to have a more balanced seat that these older ones, which also have VERY narrow gullets. Before you buy an older Passier, be sure and look to see how narrow the gullet is.

Alas, saddle design and what we know about what really frees up the horse's shoulders and spine has come a long ways since these were made, and since a saddle purchse is such a big part of one's riding budget, it pays to be careful with the older models.

(I actually traded all my Passiers in and sprang for a Schleese.)

Also, it could be an old Shultheis. One other IMPORTANT thing about Passiers. The new synthetic trees are not so good. I llike the old BAUM (wood) trees. But then, you are back at the problem of the narrow gullet if your horse has a wide back. There is a lot of variation. But Passiers are really good saddles and hold their value.

Looks like the Passier dressage saddle I currently ride in. Minimalist as far as padding. I quite like it.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiansyes View Post
    Also, it could be an old Shultheis. One other IMPORTANT thing about Passiers. The new synthetic trees are not so good. I llike the old BAUM (wood) trees. But then, you are back at the problem of the narrow gullet if your horse has a wide back. There is a lot of variation. But Passiers are really good saddles and hold their value.
    I am looking for a minimalist saddle. I used to own a Grand Gilbert, traded up for a Lemke, and now I need the open seat and no big leg roll. I have called, but I'm sure it's a really old ad. If this saddle is as old as claimed, it it likely the PS Baum tree.

My horse is really narrow. I use a narrow gullet plate on the Pessoa jumping saddle I ride it. If you click on the horse sales ads at the bottom of the saddle ad, there are pictures of it on a horse. It looks gorgeous to me.

ETA this saddle on ebay looks similar (hard to tell from the pictures) but much older and in bad shape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PASS...item231d976642

A helmet saved my life.

that's a circa late 60's model priced WAY too high. I'd offer $250

if you want less involvement than the GG, try searching for a Passier Antares. They are no longer made, but were manufactured up until a few years ago. I owned one, but just sold it about 5 days ago.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ooh...it's still for sale.

Okay, besides a picture of the flap with the seat and tree type and size, what should I ask?

A helmet saved my life.

Ask for pictures of the underside to see the gullets (and if your horse is OK with a narrow gullet, then go for it!), ask to be sure the tree is intact and in good condition, and if the leather and billets are in good shape. It looks like a nice saddle. I do think the less knee roll feature of these saddles is nice. If you like that, these older Passiers are wonderful. If it is on the wooden tree, it will probably say BAUM, but the old trees were all wooden. An older Passier in good shape has leather that just can't be beat. (Often you can tell how old it is because they will even say Made in West Germany!) There is a guy on the internet who does Passier repair if you ever need anything done. It is not cheap, but he does a good job.

Looks like a Passier PSL. I have no idea what PSL stands for. It was a saddle that was available in the 80's right before the Grand Gilbert became available. I still have mine.

Also, it could be an old Shultheis
    No resemblance.

Looks more like a Passier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Ooh...it's still for sale.

Okay, besides a picture of the flap with the seat and tree type and size, what should I ask?
    photo of the gullet with however many fingers they can fit in the back of it.
    the billets
    when was the last time the flocking was worked on?
    Length of flap from stirrup bar to edge
    an aerial view of the seat with good focus and detail

In all honesty, you'll have to budget an extra $350 for work this old chap will most likely need, but if it truly is THE model you need, then go for it. FWIW I snagged a gorgeous late 90's grand gilbert in mint for only $100 more...
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

It looks just like my old Passier sitting in my garage someone took apart to "fix." I loved it. It was the only think that fit those TB backs--whithers and narrow. I love the cutback.

They have a metal tab under where the stirrup attachment is that says Hannover, so get a picture of that.

I think they're great, but it's been long time. I like minimalist that allow you to sit. I switched to a Wintec when I had to buy something I could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    photo of the gullet with however many fingers they can fit in the back of it.
    the billets
    when was the last time the flocking was worked on?
    Length of flap from stirrup bar to edge
    an aerial view of the seat with good focus and detail

In all honesty, you'll have to budget an extra $350 for work this old chap will most likely need, but if it truly is THE model you need, then go for it. FWIW I snagged a gorgeous late 90's grand gilbert in mint for only $100 more...
    Really? It looks to be in pretty good shape to me. (the horseclicks saddle, not the eBay one). I will ask all those questions and for pictures of the billet straps, gullet, and the inside flap.

BTDT, that's what I have been looking for, plus something that doesn't hold me in.

A helmet saved my life.

My Passier Katrin looked rather similar, it did have very minimally padded knee pads.

I really liked riding in it and it fit a rather shark finned horse well.

I hope my grammar is acceptable
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Really? It looks to be in pretty good shape to me. (the horseclicks saddle, not the eBay one). I will ask all those questions and for pictures of the billet straps, gullet, and the inside flap.
    The flocking on these o.l.d saddles is often very hard (as is common with the old foam flocking) - it's also what allows the saddle to be adjusted to fit your horse, most wool flocked saddles will need some adjusting so this should always be part of your budget.

The narrow gullet channel that is common on these older saddles can easily be too narrow for many horses, including TB's (don't confuse gullet channel with gullet plate(N, M W etc)

Schultheis is stubben, not passier. It looks like a Wulf....but if it does not have four billet straps and an over girth, it is some variety of that. IF the numbers are on the flap, write to passier and ask. It is like from the 80s, TOTALLY worth the price. Will fit ANYTHING because it will almost lay flat on the ground, and likely will not need reflocking unless it was used for hours a day (i have only redone by one from 62 once (and I was riding 10+ hours a day in that), and mine from 84 still is in great shape and does not need it). And if it has four billets it can be used w/o a foregirth on greenies until they develop. And since it is cutback it also fits most tbs. If it were smaller size I would be buying it...looks to be in greatttt shape.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I had an all purpose with the exact markings. It was a Passier- Sohn. I guess the two made saddles for a few years together. Nice saddle, mine was donated but a saddlerer tagged it at $500.

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    My Passier Katrin looked rather similar, it did have very minimally padded knee pads.

I really liked riding in it and it fit a rather shark finned horse well.

I hope my grammar is acceptable
    Z, your grammar is usually superior to mine.

I hope I get in touch with them this weekend. Now that you all know about it, you may beat me to it, especially those of you in the neighborhood!

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    If it were smaller size I would be buying it...looks to be in greatttt shape.
    http://www.horseclicks.com/dressage_saddle/advert/60478

Similar but smaller. I don't see the K on the one I'm interested in.

A helmet saved my life.