Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

I think what happens is that many people don't want to believe that someone they knew (even if just on the interwebz) is capable of something like this.

I saw the same thing at my daughter's school when a teacher was busted for inappropriate touching. He admitted it, left the school that evening (he lived on campus and half the student population were boarders).

Many of the teachers tried to find a reason to excuse his behavior...most by blaming the 16 year old girl. I was shocked at the reaction.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Those are some scary looking feet.

OMGoodness... speachless
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

For the record, the old charges and, I think convictions, (I've slept since first finding this out and don't remember all details), happened in my neck of the woods. I asked some horse folk around here if anyone remembered DR. They do remember a big seizure but had trouble with her name. If I remember correctly, she wasn't supposed to own horses again after the seizure, what, 20 years ago?

So, it seems you can just up and move to other parts of the world and start all over.

Doesn't matter to me now, I'm not backing anyone again, unless I'm somehow personally involved and know all details. Even then, might be a toughie to go there. Facts are facts. Can't get around that.

**I might have already posted my sentiments here. I posted this info on several sites, about asking the locals if they remembered the seizure and her name. Didn't look to see if I already had here.**
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I sort of peripherally followed this since I had a conversation with Dorothy about four years ago.

The very short version is that we were selling a colt to another woman in NV that was sort of near to where Dorothy lived. I had looked at Dorthy's website and thought it looked like an okay program so I wanted to ask her about this other woman.

Dorothy went on to completely bash the other woman about her horse keeping and facility. It was so vitriolic that I was taken aback and it made me really wonder about her.

Pot calling the kettle black on a massive scale.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Denial is a powerful thing. It must be a mental illness or protection defense to avoid the reality of the awfulness. It is rare that 'abusers' admit that they are in trouble or wrong in what they are doing. It is sad when defenseless critters suffer. These horses certainly deserved an upgrade.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I think what happens is that many people don't want to believe that someone they knew (even if just on the interwebz) is capable of something like this.

I saw the same thing at my daughter's school when a teacher was busted for inappropriate touching. He admitted it, left the school that evening (he lived on campus and half the student population were boarders).

Many of the teachers tried to find a reason to excuse his behavior...most by blaming the 16 year old girl. I was shocked at the reaction.
    So very true. I just recently lit into my mother for allowing this 27 years ago when my step father attempted to seduce me. I laughed at him and walked out the door, but was blamed by both of them and I was 16 at the time. She didn't comprehend how devastating that is to a 16 year old girl (who was a virgin at the time so clearly not well-versed in matters of the flesh). Hopefully, those teachers will realize how much damage they may be causing by blaming her. Poor girl.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I agree. I'm so sick of the people wanting to bash rescues that end up taking these neglected horses, and coming up with big conspiracies, about how the rescue just wants the horses that are "so valuable' (yeah...even meat buyers wouldn't want them, and how valuable is a starved unbroke, unhandled horse that has been crippled by no hoof care?). No one wants to believe that someone could have repeatedly starved and neglected their horses. It's always an unfair seizure/greedy rescue.
    After looking at those pictures, some of you probably owe the rescue an apology for badmouthing them. Regardless of their social skills regarding communication, or lack of them, them DID step up and take/rehad some severely neglected horses.
    I totally agree with you.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I guess certain people have been waiting for the grand moment...
    K, throw the crow at me.

Although I am pretty sure that I did not so much defend her ways, but questioned the process.

Yes, when things don't add up, I want to know, win draw or lose.

it was a bust this time. I am heart broken.
    Not because she got busted and sentenced. I did not follow her closely.
    But because it happened.
    Because it shouldn't.

However, the matter was the weird things surrounding the rescue. Conflicting stories, etc

You know, when you have to rely on 3rd hand news from 10 states away. Things get lost along the way.

And while the 'no support' policy might be a good one, I am sticking to my 'not throwing them under the bus' one until the facts become clear.

it's not blaming the rescues.
    There are some amazing ones out there. Some even on COTH.

But sadly there are also a lot of agenda driven loons out there who make the lot look bad.

You know you have seen them. You know they exist. Cutting them slack because they 'help' the animals will only hurt us.

We have seen bad seisures. They happen. Often enough to be afraid of.
    I am thinking of one in particular, not even the Bassets from a few years back.
    On the surface there was reason, true, but even well after the fact I am sure the deal was rigged.
    Not so much because I was taken in by the person busted, but from conversations I had with other parties on the side.
    No, not all rescues are created equal. and since they are joining the legal arm of the government to enforce law when they assist in these matters, they have to be able to withstand scrutiny and should be above reproach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino View Post
    So very true. I just recently lit into my mother for allowing this 27 years ago when my step father attempted to seduce me. I laughed at him and walked out the door, but was blamed by both of them and I was 16 at the time. She didn't comprehend how devastating that is to a 16 year old girl (who was a virgin at the time so clearly not well-versed in matters of the flesh). Hopefully, those teachers will realize how much damage they may be causing by blaming her. Poor girl.
    It was just the gossip in the teacher's lounge. I volunteered a couple days a week in the library and substituted, so I guess they felt I was sort of an honorary staff member. I really doubt the girl ever knew.

The worst part was the school tried to hush it up. It hit the papers a couple of weeks after it happened and all hell broke loose. Always get in front of the story, never behind it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    K, throw the crow at me.

Although I am pretty sure that I did not so much defend her ways, but questioned the process.

But because it happened.
    Because it shouldn't.

However, the matter was the weird things surrounding the rescue. Conflicting stories, etc

You know, when you have to rely on 3rd hand news from 10 states away. Things get lost along the way.

And while the 'no support' policy might be a good one, I am sticking to my 'not throwing them under the bus' one until the facts become clear.

But sadly there are also a lot of agenda driven loons out there who make the lot look bad.

You know you have seen them. You know they exist. Cutting them slack because they 'help' the animals will only hurt us.

On the surface there was reason, true, but even well after the fact I am sure the deal was rigged.
    Not so much because I was taken in by the person busted, but from conversations I had with other parties on the side.
    No, not all rescues are created equal. and since they are joining the legal arm of the government to enforce law when they assist in these matters, they have to be able to withstand scrutiny and should be above reproach.
    I always like to see the facts first. The reason being we had a seizure here in Grass Lake, MI a few years back. The horses were all fat and well fed, had shelters, and was a decent AQHA/APHA breeding operation. Horses were all seized, and the process of doing so was not correct. All of the horses showed up at auctions for sale, skinny and wormy looking while under the care of animal control. A couple years after this all happened the owner of the horses had charges reversed, the judge threw it out of court. Too late though, horses were sold, some to slaughter, and a great breeding operation was lost.

So I like to see proof of what is going on. I see that now. I liked the rescues facebook page and I can clearly see the horses were in horrendous conditions. I hope they all find good homes.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sick, just... sick. The poor horses.
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Since she seems to have a history of moving around, I'm guessing she will start up again in some other state. There is no excuse for the shape those horses were in, and I know she claimed it was "just one!" at one point.
    You are what you dare.

God I take back all the support I gave. That is just awful, people are who they pretend to be I guess.

What an awful story! Hope there are people to adopt when the time comes.

From the sound of things, there were people pretty much lining up to take one. Now, whether they are still around, anyone's guess.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

From what i have read on another web site, there is more to this story than you all know. Out of over 20 horses only 5 were in poor shape. I wont go into why as there is no excuse. However, the bigger concern now is the rescue, who did no intake pictures, and turned down offers from other rescues for help. This particular rescue is suspect at best, along with why and how the horses were seized. This rescue repeatedly shows the same 5 horses for shock value and conveniently does not include pictures of the other horses. The other horses just so you all know were in good shape with the feet done.
    This rescue now has 100 horses, people did line up to take them and the rescue ignores them. I understand the concern now is, that because the majority of them are well bred mares, the thought is the rescue is using them for breeding. The only thing i will say, and i am not excusing the lady at all for the 5 horses, ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE, but the seizure was not legal in anyway shape or form. This is just what i have read on another forum, along with court documents that were posted there.
    I did see some pictures of the other horses and they were NOT skin and bone by anyway shape or form.
    Most people that knew the lady felt the herd should have been split up between all the rescues that wanted to help, as the rescue that has them is crying for hay.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    K, throw the crow at me.

But because it happened.
    Because it shouldn't.

No one mentioned you. At all. If you feel singled out- that's your ego talking.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    No one mentioned you. At all. If you feel singled out- that's your ego talking.
    Keep stroking it

^_^