The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Ooops....been so long since here I can't find albums....still have 'em?
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I've burned up about 4 gallons of gas with the generator today so am getting off and going to bed.....sunset to sunrise is sleep time around here. Got my woodstove today so have to get it set up tomorrow and then have a bunch of phone calls to make so need to charge up the phone in the truck. So much to do, so little time. Rehabbing a place that has been vacant and vandalized is a challenge!! But loving the geese/ducks on the pond and the coyotes...only 2 miles to town so lots of "town" regs (like not shooting and burying animals) but kind of wild at the same time. New job this week too so have to go get physical and pee in cup sometime Wed.

Will be back on with updates. Photos of horses taken on 9/16 can be seen on FB page for United Horsemen.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    Northern NV

CCH, I'm glad you posted all this, maybe more than you wanted but some people are not going to ever be satisfied no matter how you much you explain. Like the one lady who just would not quit slamming you, even though you responded with an answer. I had the impression that had she been in front of you, she would have taken a swing at you!! Since I'm pretty well country, like you, I know how things work out in the remote parts. Sometimes after you post as much as you can, you just have to let people assume this or that. After all, some people will always have their act together, all the time and never anything will befall them. Good luck to them.

It's probably a good thing you got this all out in the open. Sunshine cleans all. For one, I still have my suspicions about this *ahem* rescue, especially now that you've posted the last part of the your posts.

But, I posted a while back about the blood of your horses. I couldn't remember all you had told me but I got the basics out there anyway.

....and, I am wondering about the horse's redemption in a year's time. Keep all pertinent info close at hand, hide it if you have to, some place safe. Make copies and hide those.

Wow, just wow.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Thanks for coming on. It's nice to hear the other side.
    Sorry things haven't gone so well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    I've burned up about 4 gallons of gas with the generator today so am getting off and going to bed.....sunset to sunrise is sleep time around here. Got my woodstove today so have to get it set up tomorrow and then have a bunch of phone calls to make so need to charge up the phone in the truck. So much to do, so little time. Rehabbing a place that has been vacant and vandalized is a challenge!! But loving the geese/ducks on the pond and the coyotes...only 2 miles to town so lots of "town" regs (like not shooting and burying animals) but kind of wild at the same time. New job this week too so have to go get physical and pee in cup sometime Wed.

Will be back on with updates. Photos of horses taken on 9/16 can be seen on FB page for United Horsemen.

However, CCH, it sounds to me from the tone of your notes (which are basically repeating what you've already written), that you are not really that upset about losing the horses. Are you trying to get some of them back?

Maybe this is a good time to just do without horses for a while and try to get back on your feet, and then start again on a small scale once you have some money saved up.

If you are under 66, you aren't getting any more than $2000 a month in Social Security (and probably less). That's not much to live on. A job would help, but, again, if you are under 66, you can only earn $14K a year before they start reducing your SS.

My 92 year old mother lives on it, but pays less than $400 a month for senior subsidized housing in a small apartment, has no animals, and has children who are there to help her financially if she needs anything.

Have you thought about some professional counseling?

Well, the *ahem* rescue FB group has been closed. Guess we won't know if the trailer ever gets back to the owner. :-) HA!

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    However, CCH, it sounds to me from the tone of your notes (which are basically repeating what you've already written), that you are not really that upset about losing the horses. Are you trying to get some of them back?

Maybe this is a good time to just do without horses for a while and try to get back on your feet, and then start again on a small scale once you have some money saved up.

If you are under 66, you aren't getting any more than $2000 a month in Social Security (and probably less). That's not much to live on. A job would help, but, again, if you are under 66, you can only earn $14K a year before they start reducing your SS.

My 92 year old mother lives on it, but pays less than $400 a month for senior subsidized housing in a small apartment, has no animals, and has children who are there to help her financially if she needs anything.

Okay, I'm not sticking up for CCH here, she's able to do that for herself, but, that said, my first thought when reading your post (it could have been about anyone on this site), what business it is of yours what she has coming in and what she does with it?? Whether she wants her horses back or not?? If you truly wanted to know, why didn't you ask in a pm?

Unless, you have an ulterior motive for doing so, to try to embarrass her, which I don't think you can do, she seemed a pretty tough woman when I met her. But still, whatever she has coming in, seems like she'd know the rules about what she can do or not.

She put everything out there (way more than I thought was reasonable) and answered some of your questions beforehand, but, looks like you didn't read her posts, just started typing.

26 pages and it's my comment that embarrasses her? I still don't know what she wants out of all this fuss. If nothing, maybe the thread ought to close. Personally, I think she's a brick shy.

Whether she's a brick shy or not, I've not a clue, but if you HAD read her posts, you'd find your answers pretty much. That's why I wrote maybe you were trying to embarrass her more by bringing all of it up again in such a brash way.

The only reason I'm interested in seeing this thread go on is my interest in the *ahem* rescue, of which I have many doubts after reading about them, especially now that they've closed the group once some sticky questions started showing up.

Some one was asking about the paint horses and it was stated they did not have any from this seizure but had one already.
    It sounded like CCH's horses were not gelded as the vet was already scheduled.
    Is this not different from what they said before?? I thought it was stated the horses were already gelded and awarded by the court.
    I guess I'm still in - I'm just reading things - not posting on that wall. I guess that makes me a spy.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Whether she's a brick shy or not, I've not a clue, but if you HAD read her posts, you'd find your answers pretty much. That's why I wrote maybe you were trying to embarrass her more by bringing all of it up again in such a brash way.

The only reason I'm interested in seeing this thread go on is my interest in the *ahem* rescue, of which I have many doubts after reading about them, especially now that they've closed the group once some sticky questions started showing up.

http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.ne...38775399_n.jpg

CCH's horses have NOT been gelded.

I might also mention that it took 4 weeks for the rescue to trim hooves on the horses. As evidenced by their "gelding/hoof trimming" bbq here recently.

There was proof posted that the rescue has 80+ horses by a screenshot of the rescue explaining how many horses they took in, but I would have to go find it again.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

The rescue in Northern Nevada has posted on facebook that they are using the non-profit status of another rescue in Las Vegas (Adopt a Rescue Pet) and claims that allows them to be tax deductible. That rescue, by the way, is for dogs.

They can't do that, can they?

The rescue in Northern Nevada has posted on facebook that they are using the non-profit status of another rescue in Las Vegas (Adopt a Rescue Pet) and claims that allows them to be tax deductible. That rescue, by the way, is for dogs.

I don't have a clue, but, as we all know, horses are livestock and not pets under the law, unless THAT has changed and I'm not aware of it. However, it doesn't seem much holds them back anyway.

Sitting back and watching this unfold, a fly on the wall.

No, they cannot.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I would surely feel better about this if the horses were at least being kept at a legitimate rescue as this unfolds.

It seems like these horses are having major phosensitivity issues, and I know alfalfa can cause photosensitivity - as can other things.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-223415.html

In looking at the pictures of the rescue, it did not seem like they had a lot of "shelter" given the number of horses? Am I wrong on that? If the horses are having issues w/ photosensitivity and sand colic; then, it seems like they need some labor intensive care and management -- probably more than CCH could handle given the circumstances, but I am not at all convinced that this rescue is equipped w/ the right staff and facilities either.

This is just unfortunate all the way around. CCH had a string of unfortunate -- well awful -- things happen one after the other; and I hope none of the rest of us ever have to prove that we'd deal with a string of similar events in a superior way. I surely hope that CCH can enjoy her new job, take a deep breath, and figure out the best thing to do for her and for the horses.

I hope the people that were so concerned about the horses will keep an eye on that rescue and the horses in their care. As somebody pointed out, horses are legally considered livestock in most - if not all states; and the handling of this definitely leaves me w/ a bad feeling. And, I say that as a person who thinks there are way too many horses and that very few people have any business breeding horses (or dogs or cats); and I have zero tolerance for elf hooves or suffering animals -- and even less tolerance for vets who won't end an animals suffering w/o advance payment.

I just would feel a lot better if there had been an effort by the concerned authorities to assess and help initially, or if CCH had voluntarily relinquished the horses, and the horses were sent to a legitimate rescue w/ verified resources / facilities to care for the horses. In my very limited experience, the best rescues do everything possible to educate and assist people to prevent animal suffering; and the righteous condemnation is reserved FOR the evil people who are very deliberately abusing horses and those who refuse to take action / accept help in neglect situations. As has been made clear here by people w/ rescue experience; rescues have limited resources and the good rescues manage them very carefully. They do not go out looking for seizures -- much less buy seized horses in bulk from the local authorities. Very, very weird this is.
    Last edited by ldaziens; Oct. 11, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

No.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned an oil company royalty check every month as well? And I have several other sources of income that I'm not at all sure I have to divulge to you or to anyone. And a job. There was plenty of money for hay/grain/meds for the older horse but the reserves had been taken up with moving, with getting the well on the property operating, with visits to my dying sister to say goodbye, to her funeral and to help clean up/clear her home afterwards. There was in fact, a check coming only 6 days after the horses were seized that would have paid for the old horse to be put down. Instead he was held for 5 days after being taken by the sheriffs dept so he could be put down on the one day of the week the sales yard is open to the public and could get the most publicity out of it.

There are a great many things going on behind the scenes regarding this situation and yes, they do include some steps toward recovering the horses.

I'm not at all certain why you think that professional counselling is in order. Would this perhaps be some failure on my part to do what you consider to be appropriate wailing and gnashing of teeth? Perhaps you would care to elucidate?
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    Northern NV

Ho presumptuous of you.

OK, you're right. I'm presumptuous. Now go ahead an build the herd back up and some other tragedy will befall you. Just don't come on here whining when it does.

PS None of your posts expressed any affection or concern for the animals, which leads me to believe you weren't really that attached to them, other than as potential income.

1 members found this post helpful.

OK, you're right. I'm presumptuous. Now go ahead an build the herd back up and some other tragedy will befall you. Just don't come on here whining when it does.

PS None of your posts expressed any affection or concern for the animals, which leads me to believe you weren't really that attached to them, other than as potential income.
    Ouch! From bad to worse.

I hereby award you the Miz McJudgyPants award for the week.