The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Look on FB under Northeastern Nevada Equine Somethingorother. That should get you there. On United Horsemen, people aren't saying anything any more till this plays out.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    I saw that too - they also got what was it 80 bales of hay?
    No it says 80 TONS of hay. Big difference. Still not enough to get through the winter but will last several months.

Can people still see NNER's FB if they're not on FB? I was able to google it before, but not any more - but searching through FB when I'm logged in makes it come up.

Welp, the post about the trailer has disappeared.

Interesting that the post about the trailer disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CO View Post
    No it says 80 TONS of hay. Big difference. Still not enough to get through the winter but will last several months.

Are you F-ing kidding me???? Directly from the "rescue"'s FB page:

"We consult with proven equine professionals such as Vetrinarians, Ferriers, Trainers and Equine Nutritionists . All proceeds go to providing Vetrinary services, feed and hay, proper routine foot and mouth care and ALOT of gentle and loving handeling.We accept all horses from foals to gereatric horses."

well, my horses get HOOF care, done by a farrier, and see a veterinarian. SMH, didn't realize I've been doing it wrong all along!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

It also seems that they are still not responding to requests for that elusive 501c number that possible donors have been asking for since Sept 27th.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Also, from doing a bit of digging (don't ask how, not telling), their adoption fees seems to have been in the $700-ish range in the past. Well, above what CCH quoted me quite a long time ago that what she would sell some of the colts for. That may change now, due to the economy, IDK.

I'm still wondering where all the adopters were when CCH wanted to sell, but, are now lining up to adopt at a possible higher price. ???

Yeah, I'd like to know the 501c thingy, too.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Oct. 7, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    I'm still wondering where all the adopters were when CCH wanted to sell, but, are now lining up to adopt at a higher price. ???
    As others have noted, there is something about the notoriety of a seizure that attracts potential adopters when those same people would never have even considered purchasing from the owner prior to the seizure.

It happens all the time and is par for the course with these situations. Unfortunately.
    Sheilah

It's ok. I've been doing it all wrong too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Are you F-ing kidding me???? Directly from the "rescue"'s FB page:

"We consult with proven equine professionals such as Vetrinarians, Ferriers, Trainers and Equine Nutritionists . All proceeds go to providing Vetrinary services, feed and hay, proper routine foot and mouth care and ALOT of gentle and loving handeling.We accept all horses from foals to gereatric horses."

well, my horses get HOOF care, done by a farrier, and see a veterinarian. SMH, didn't realize I've been doing it wrong all along!

Someone on another forum quoted the trailer post:

"Call me please contract says I must give the trailer back at ANY time if asked. U have had the trailer over 2 months for the sole purpose of selling it to no avail .... please bring it back"

I'll bet there is a good story behind that.

I thought so too!!

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Someone on another forum quoted the trailer post:

"Call me please contract says I must give the trailer back at ANY time if asked. U have had the trailer over 2 months for the sole purpose of selling it to no avail .... please bring it back"

I'll bet there is a good story behind that.

I searched the IRS website for Northeast Nevada Equine Rescue as a 501(c)3 charity and as having filed 990-N, nothing came up on either search. Maybe someone else would have better luck trying?

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

I haven't looked at your ad in the giveaway forum, but, wasn't your dad the one who bred a bunch of Haffies and stuck you with cleaning up his mess??

Yeah, why DOES your crazy brother have a say in all this?? Don't get in the car with him again. Take your own transportation from now on. Seriously.
    Yes, that's the one. I have taken pictures. There on my Facebook page. I don't know how to post the link.

Batshit crazy brother lives with my dad who live 3/4 miles from me. Brother is currently in the manic mode in his bi-polar cycle so has all sorts of grandiose ideas about running some calves on the place, etc. He is now my dad's new best friend, takes him off on the weekends to watch football at his son's house or go fishing with his daughter and her husband (in the boat they got my dad to buy) etc. I'm hoping that he'll get back in the depressive mode soon so all he'll do is come home from work, go to his room and not talk to anyone. Like I said, there's a lot of family drama. I wish I was in a position to just leave and let them have it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I searched the IRS website for Northeast Nevada Equine Rescue as a 501(c)3 charity and as having filed 990-N, nothing came up on either search. Maybe someone else would have better luck trying?

http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/
    Ruh-roh. What is a 990-N?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    As others have noted, there is something about the notoriety of a seizure that attracts potential adopters when those same people would never have even considered purchasing from the owner prior to the seizure.

It happens all the time and is par for the course with these situations. Unfortunately.
    Sheilah
    Adding to that, (for an example) when I go to sell the pony, the idea in everybody's head is that I am in control of him, he's mine, I'm feeding him, caring for him - he has a home.
    Even if I'm trying to fire sale him for a dollar.

But once the authorities get involved everything changes - he needs to be rescued, he has no home, he's on the freakin' 10 o'clock news looking pathetic.

Seems to be a human trait that we don't act until we react, cause it's a heck of a waste of AC time and money to have to deal with these animals after the fact. I sort of wish that AC had a fund to help owners pull themselves up by the bootstraps - but I understand that some owners are in denial and the best course of action is to cut them out of the picture ASAP.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Ruh-roh. What is a 990-N?
    A 990 is a nonprofits financial statement to the IRS - showing what came in and from where (in general terms, it doesn't list all donors) and where money went.

They're posted to Guidestar normally when filed. However if she only filed for her 501c3 this year, she wouldn't have filed a 990. (I don't know when she's claiming to have filed for the 501c3).

A lot of organizations, ours includes, posts the 990s to their websites. It allows donors to have some idea where money comes from and goes to - and gives them a little more confidence in supporting a nonprofit.

On a side note - if anyone ever considers giving a significant donation to a nonprofit, you can also ask for a profit & loss statement or more in-depth financial statement since the 990 is somewhat general. We post our P&Ls on our website, too. It is just good practice.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Interesting that the post about the trailer disappeared.
    On the 80 tons of hay deal, help me here, please. That is 160,000 pounds of hay. There are 34 horses. Some large, some small, lets assume average weight of 900 # each. That is 30600 pounds of horses x2% of bodyweight per day per horse of forage= 612 pounds of hay daily required. That means that assuming my figures are right, that 80 tons of hay will last 261 days. That is a little over 8 months. Surely that is enought to get thru the winter. Even if you feed 2x that, it is still 4 months feed.

Where are they getting that it is not enough to get thru? Apparently I missed something somewhere.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    On the 80 tons of hay deal, help me here, please. That is 160,000 pounds of hay. There are 34 horses. Some large, some small, lets assume average weight of 900 # each. That is 30600 pounds of horses x2% of bodyweight per day per horse of forage= 612 pounds of hay daily required. That means that assuming my figures are right, that 80 tons of hay will last 261 days. That is a little over 8 months. Surely that is enought to get thru the winter. Even if you feed 2x that, it is still 4 months feed.

Where are they getting that it is not enough to get thru? Apparently I missed something somewhere.
    Okay, did this *ahem* rescue state anywhere the hay is only for the Fallon (formerly CCH's horses) horses, or, do they mean ALL of their horses. They had something like 25 before, didn't they??