The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    I doubt it. She's just another breeder in over her head.
    Who? The rescue?

Sure sounds like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    should be the first thing she tells donors...

But she has time to talk to TV...

HSUS/PETA graduate?
    Not that I've counted the times she is on the net but seems like she is on quite a bit, IF it's the person I think it is. She certainly has time to do that.

Plus...when I checked earlier today, there were only a bit less than $300 donated to date. I don't remember the exact amount but I was a bit, what, unsettled about how little has been donated. I wonder if she thought the money would roll in...doesn't seem to be the case here....so who's footing the bill for feed, trim jobs and geldings?
    Last edited by goneriding24; Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by anon123456 View Post
    And sadly Joanne, did you notice, noone is stepping out to help in the "desperate" situation. Then when something like this happens everyone is shocked and says, why didnt they ask for help.
    Help can come in more ways than offering a home. Some posters have been very clear on why such-and-such wouldn't happen to them: because they know what their limit is (1 horse, 2 horses, whatever) and they would not add another.

If your only definition of help is "stepping up" to take on another horse that you don't even want/need, that's a fruitbatting lot to ask from anyone. But the community coming together and chipping in for the vet to euth the old horse, or even for sedated footcare, could have been a possibility. I've seen it happen here multiple times.
    If help was asked for early enough, help with spreading the word about the horses for sale could've happeend, and advice about lowering their prices or just giving them away (although in one link somewhere in this long thread CCH was advised in another forum to lower prices and was quite resistant because precious bloodlines, so maybe that would've fallen on deaf ears; the $1-whatever pricing was more recent).

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Weird thing with people:
    You got one black puppy on the news with a bad luck story and 400 people call the station, wanting to adopt it.
    All while the pound puts 400 of the same kind of black dog to sleep because nobody wants them...

I guess it's the same with horses, when they are fat and happy nobody takes them, not even for free. When they are 'rescued' everybody makes room in the barn for one more mouth to feed.
    even if the other horse won't cost as much in vet fees and feed bills...
    This drives me crazy - people get overrun by emotion and want to help those skinny horses. RIGHT NOW. We used to refuse to adopt out until the horse was healthy, but now if the home will apply and pass inspection and appears to be knowledgeable and able to do the rehab, we'll adopt out the skinny guys. (Unfortunately about 3/4 of those people who see the news program and call don't want to go through the application process and end up not really adopting).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    Found this:

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...170596096.html

I'd like to see the court documents. So they were allowed to take the horses if they paid the board and vet bills. Sounds good. But does it give them ownership? The criminal charges are still pending - I would still question if they have full ownership; if CCH's ownership has been taken away. Giving them custody and care of the horses is completely different from ownership.

And as a rescue owner, you BET I would have posted a copy of the legal document granting us custody for anyone to see at any time. I like transparency.
    We never post the court documents - and most of the cases we're involved in are law enforcement cases. We've never been asked for them, although I realize they're public record and if someone asked to see them, we would show them.

As to the rescue having the horses now - it depends on the state. In Texas, the first step is a civil hearing to determine if the horses are neglected and remove the horses from the owner if they are. There is now an appeal process, but the entire thing from seizure to end of appeals can take 35 days max. This is stressful when you are getting ready for court and have little time (especially if you have a lot of horses - because I put together a pretty comprehensive case notebook with a file and report on each horse). HOWEVER it also means we're not stuck holding horses for months and incurring bills. And it means the owner is not stuck with his/her horses in limbo and running up bills for months. If he/she is going to get his/her horses back, it won't be many months later.

After the civil process is over, the county can then decide to also press criminal charges. However the horses at that point have already been legally 'disposed' of - either euthanized, sent to auction or sent to a rescue.

I don't know the law in Nevada, but they could have a similar process which would explain why the horses had been surrendered/signed over to the rescue.

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Help can come in more ways than offering a home. Some posters have been very clear on why such-and-such wouldn't happen to them: because they know what their limit is (1 horse, 2 horses, whatever) and they would not add another.

If your only definition of help is "stepping up" to take on another horse that you don't even want/need, that's a fruitbatting lot to ask from anyone. But the community coming together and chipping in for the vet to euth the old horse, or even for sedated footcare, could have been a possibility. I've seen it happen here multiple times.
    If help was asked for early enough, help with spreading the word about the horses for sale could've happeend, and advice about lowering their prices or just giving them away (although in one link somewhere in this long thread CCH was advised in another forum to lower prices and was quite resistant because precious bloodlines, so maybe that would've fallen on deaf ears; the $1-whatever pricing was more recent).
    Coanteen---my post was in response to Joanne's mention that on the giveaway forum right now there is a person giving away her ponies because of a desperate situation and at the time noone was stepping up to help..there have been a few posts to her since then. I was just agreeing that even when you ask for help, you do not always receive it. So the "Desperate Ponies" was not about CCH but about a current giveaway posting. sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by anon123456 View Post
    Coanteen---my post was in response to Joanne's mention that on the giveaway forum right now there is a person giving away her ponies because of a desperate situation and at the time noone was stepping up to help..there have been a few posts to her since then. I was just agreeing that even when you ask for help, you do not always receive it. So the "Desperate Ponies" was not about CCH but about a current giveaway posting. sorry for the confusion
    Yabbut, a poster has asked for pics but the daughter has dance on Mon and Wed and church Tuesday or something like that. Daughter is the photographer in the family. So it isn't coming across as an emergency exactly. Pictures would sure help in placing horses...

I don't think you can make assumptions that no one on COTH will help her out based on a couple of sentences per horse of information.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Plus...when I checked earlier today, there were only a bit less than $300 donated to date. I don't remember the exact amount but I was a bit, what, unsettled about how little has been donated. I wonder if she thought the money would roll in...doesn't seem to be the case here....so who's footing the bill for feed, trim jobs and geldings?
    I think that's a BIG misconception that a lot of people (rescues and non-rescuers alike) have: seizures make rescues money. (I've seen it posted time and time again here, but no one can post proof). When we do a seizure, even one with good media coverage, we might get a couple hundred in donations. That NEVER covers the cost of doing the seizure and vetting the horses. Never. The biggest amount donated after a seizure was around $1500, maybe $2000. And that was for 30-some horses. It didn't cover even the basic vetting (exam, coggins, vaccs, teeth floating, gelding for the boys).

When newer rescuers go ahead and help with a seizure thinking the money will come to cover the costs, I cringe. And when a new rescue with little experience jumps into a big case like this... I cringe even more. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I think that's a BIG misconception that a lot of people (rescues and non-rescuers alike) have: seizures make rescues money.

When newer rescuers go ahead and help with a seizure thinking the money will come to cover the costs, I cringe. And when a new rescue with little experience jumps into a big case like this... I cringe even more. *sigh*
    Even I think I wasn't clear on the money. "I" thought more money would come in myself, never mind what the rescue might have thought. I keep looking, thinking there is going to be at least a bigger jump in the donation.

I cringe about this *ahem* rescue also. From my personal experience in rescuing, I am cringing also....

Even I think I wasn't clear on the money. "I" thought more money would come in myself, never mind what the rescue might have thought. I keep looking, thinking there is going to be at least a bigger jump in the donation.

I cringe about this *ahem* rescue also. From my personal experience in rescuing, I am cringing also....
    I think there's a lot of donor fatigue now. We're seeing more and more seizures and neglect cases (We've been asked just this week to help with three cases: one with 20 horses, one with 50 and one with 75+!). So people have donated and they're either out of money, or they're tired of hearing people talk about the sad horses.

You add in the increasing cost of hay and grain for our horses and the economic situation, and fewer people can afford to donate.

At BEHS, we don't often publicize the small cases anymore - aside from posting on FB. I don't want to burn people out in the public so that they refuse to help when we really need help on a big case. We also won't take horses in if we don't have the space or funds for them. We WILL publicize bigger cases as the donations that come in do help with the costs, and if we don't deplete our savings we can help with the next case. But we won't be helping with the 50 and 75+ horse cases other than offering our knowledge, maybe helping with trailering, etc. We don't have that kind of space ...

Default One Person Can't Properly Take Care of 30+ Horses

I'm sorry I just don't think it's physically possible. You have no business owning and breeding that number of horses without being able to afford staff to properly care for them and a trainer to make them nice riding horses.

By her own admission, she was not capable of training them. I mean come on, it doesn't sound like the most basic training such as being halter broke was done on them. What person in their right mind thinks a bunch of wild beasts thrown out in a field are going to be worth anything, particularly in today's market?

Admittedly, most of them did not look THAT bad, but it was only bound to go downhill from there.
    She who cares the least wins.....

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I think that's a BIG misconception that a lot of people (rescues and non-rescuers alike) have: seizures make rescues money. (I've seen it posted time and time again here, but no one can post proof). When we do a seizure, even one with good media coverage, we might get a couple hundred in donations. That NEVER covers the cost of doing the seizure and vetting the horses. Never.

That is my experience as well. I do not run a rescue, but I have volunteered with a few. They had to turn down big seizures – because it was not in their budget! – It is NOT a money maker. They would promote the horses, and do what they could to get the word out, but were wise enough to know, taking on a large number of horses, even with TV coverage is NOT a way to balance the books.

A large number of horses is a huge financial liability – as CCH knows all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNag View Post
    I'm sorry I just don't think it's physically possible.
    I completely agree. There is just no margin for the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Yabbut, a poster has asked for pics but the daughter has dance on Mon and Wed and church Tuesday or something like that. Daughter is the photographer in the family. So it isn't coming across as an emergency exactly. Pictures would sure help in placing horses...

I don't think you can make assumptions that no one on COTH will help her out based on a couple of sentences per horse of information.
    Those would be my ponies that i'm trying to place. When I posted that on the giveaways, I had just been subjected to a half hour of verbal abuse by my batpoop crazy, bi-polar brother about too many horses, etc. He made the comment that we should just load them up and carry them to the local kill sale. I said, no. Then he went off on a rant. I asked him how did the horses hurt him (I do all care and buy all feed) and OMG, the rant got worse. We had been out to eat with my dad and daughter, he was driving. I was literally afraid as his driving became very fast and erratic. When we got home, the verbal abuse continued. My dad did nothing to stop him. So when I posted I was upset.

I do REALLY need to reduce the numbers and I do have a plan. I don't have a phone with a camera, my daughter is a talented photographer and knows how to upload photos. I don't. So I'm sorry, but pictures should be up tomorrow or Sunday. There is a lot of family drama here that isn't appropriate for this thread. Maybe next Off Topic day if anybody's interested. But suffice it to say, I'm the only one who gives a rat's hiney about these horses and I'm fighting an uphill battle.

So while I need to move these horses as soon as I can, I'm not under a hard and fast deadline. I promise pictures will be forthcoming.

Why does your bat-shit bi-polar brother get a say in this, may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    Why does your bat-shit bi-polar brother get a say in this, may I ask?
    the saying disturbs the balance of harmony.

I am sure OT day will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Uh-oh. Seems there might be some trouble betwixt a lady who owns a trailer and the *ahem* rescue. Check out FB page before it's deleted. The other similar msg was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Those would be my ponies that i'm trying to place. When I posted that on the giveaways, I had just been subjected to a half hour of verbal abuse by my batpoop crazy, bi-polar brother about too many horses, etc. He made the comment that we should just load them up and carry them to the local kill sale. I said, no. Then he went off on a rant. I asked him how did the horses hurt him (I do all care and buy all feed) and OMG, the rant got worse. We had been out to eat with my dad and daughter, he was driving. I was literally afraid as his driving became very fast and erratic. When we got home, the verbal abuse continued. My dad did nothing to stop him. So when I posted I was upset.

I do REALLY need to reduce the numbers and I do have a plan. I don't have a phone with a camera, my daughter is a talented photographer and knows how to upload photos. I don't. So I'm sorry, but pictures should be up tomorrow or Sunday. There is a lot of family drama here that isn't appropriate for this thread. Maybe next Off Topic day if anybody's interested. But suffice it to say, I'm the only one who gives a rat's hiney about these horses and I'm fighting an uphill battle.

So while I need to move these horses as soon as I can, I'm not under a hard and fast deadline. I promise pictures will be forthcoming.
    I haven't looked at your ad in the giveaway forum, but, wasn't your dad the one who bred a bunch of Haffies and stuck you with cleaning up his mess??

Yeah, why DOES your crazy brother have a say in all this?? Don't get in the car with him again. Take your own transportation from now on. Seriously.

I saw that too - they also got what was it 80 bales of hay?

Uh-oh. Seems there might be some trouble betwixt a lady who owns a trailer and the *ahem* rescue. Check out FB page before it's deleted. The other similar msg was deleted.

anyone have a link to the crazy FB drama? Can't seem to find it...............
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!