The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    T
    You come on COTH you say "OH MY GOD HELP ME WHAT DO I DO????" before you get to this point.
    Who else who posts on here is in trouble? Please if you are reading, you need to do the above.

I have 1-2 stalls that would hold horses who are in dire need of a new situation and I'm sure there are other people on here who have pastures and stalls or networks where they can place horses. I keep my eye on craigslist but the local area does not seem to have the same issues as are present in other parts of the country. Or, I'm certain there are issues but not to the same degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what do you do when you can't give them away....
    you dig a big long hole and get a .223 and you suck it up and drop them in one by one by one.

Tamara
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Sep. 20, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

2 members found this post helpful.

Agreed, if this was random stranger, people would be saying NO EXCUSES.

Has this person listed them here for giveaways? I haven't seen but I could be wrong.

Very sad for the horses.

Tamara you beat me to it.

What do you do if you can't sell them? You certainly do not leave the out in the field to starve and hobble around on elf shoes.

1. You ask for help. These kinds of incidents remind me of that. Ask for help. Tell people you're in trouble. I know it's hard for adults to do that, but that is your solution.

2. And if you can't get help you drop them. You don't just throw your hands up in the air and say, "what can I do?". Ultimately we are responsible for their welfare. They can't quit. They can't leave.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Can't give them away?

Load up the trailer, take them to the sale yard, consign them and walk away.

Sometimes what you need to do is not what you want to. They might end up in Mexico, they might not. Sounds to me like she was past the point of "checking references." Really, who in that situation (no hay, too many horses, unable to feed them, limited care) has the right to question what kind of home someone else will give them? "I must check that you will give horse that I haven't had a farrier look in years a good home." That takes brass ones.

Those who know her, what were the horses priced at? Dirt cheap I need to sell or high/medium dollar this is a really good horse?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Tamara you beat me to it.

What do you do if you can't sell them? You certainly do not leave the out in the field to starve and hobble around on elf shoes.
    Poverty is a disease that affects horses much the same as anthrax or swamp fever or rabies.They did not ask for it,can't avoid it and suffer just the same.

Tamara
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is just beyond disturbing. (The situation, not Tamara's solution to it.)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

It's a wake up. We're going to see more of this with this economy, drought, and feed prices. I look at these incidents as rehearsal for when it happens to you or someone you know. Brace yourselves. Big horse operations with no income -rescues, sanctuaries, and the like -are in alot of trouble right now. Pray for them (literally or figuratively).

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    you dig a big long hole and get a .223 and you suck it up and drop them in one by one by one.

Tamara
    This. I posted here when I got in trouble two years ago. I only had two, but our finances and plans had abruptly changed and we had no savings and were barely making it, and vets wouldn't euthanize my boys (30 year old Arab and a 20 year old crippled pony).

Thankfully one found a home through his spectacular personality, but if not, the next plan was a bullet for both. And we were so close to there. After I posted DS landed in the NICU which my insurance refused to pay for, insurance refused to cover the anesthesia for my csection as it was unnecessary (I apparently should have toughed it out with no pain meds) and we had an unplanned move from MI to Baltimore which tripled our rent.

I have BEEN there. I have been at the point of wondering where hay money would come from when a few months before I had a hefty e-fund and no problems. But I had a solution. I would have dropped my pony and my Arab, my heart horse, before they got bad. I had solutions, which were not nice, but they are solutions.

And I know two does not equal thirty, but there are still valid solutions. Ask for help. Post as giveaways everywhere. Talk to the vet about euthanasia then paying later or find someone good with a gun. I feel bad, I know it sucks to suddenly be strapped, but at the same time I sucked it up and asked for help and advice and got my boys out when we were teetering on the edge, before it all fell apart.

Tamara
    Exactly.

Tamara- While I am not disagreeing with you- I know of many (almost every?) situation involving starvation/neglect/hoarding/poverty/drought/overbreeding/undertraining/unmarketable horses/family crisis etc.... where the carcasses of dead horses- above or below the ground- were included in the laundry list of the "crimes" commited by the owner. meaning- even if you were to kill 4/5 of the herd till you had a managable #... if someone called and complained about what you were doing- I think you would STILL get in BIG TROUBLE. So. while a quick death does solve the horse's problem, it does not get the owner out of the pit of a problem cycle they are in.

Poverty is a disease that affects horses much the same as anthrax or swamp fever or rabies.They did not ask for it,can't avoid it and suffer just the same.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Tamara- While I am not disagreeing with you- I know of many (almost every?) situation involving starvation/neglect/hoarding/poverty/drought/overbreeding/undertraining/unmarketable horses/family crisis etc.... where the carcasses of dead horses- above or below the ground- were included in the laundry list of the "crimes" commited by the owner. meaning- even if you were to kill 4/5 of the herd till you had a managable #... if someone called and complained about what you were doing- I think you would STILL get in BIG TROUBLE. So. while a quick death does solve the horse's problem, it does not get the owner out of the pit of a problem cycle they are in.
    I think this depends on cause of death. And I believe that a bullet is not considered a cruel death. I would have to look at the laws in the area though. I think that is why you would want to act before the animals got to a bad state.

- I think you would STILL get in BIG TROUBLE. So. while a quick death does solve the horse's problem, it does not get the owner out of the pit of a problem cycle they are in.
    a friend of mine lay dying from cancer.
    she had bred ponies for some 40 years.
    when she knew but a week or so was left, she had her grown sons dig a trench and another friend of mine supervised the shooting and burial of her remaining herd.
    every one as I recall.
    and the family begged her to reconsider,she would not.
    not one week under ground and the other ponies she had given to these "forever homes" earlier in her life,showed up on dreamhorse and such places at pretty low rates.She knew how people are and were and she spared her remaining animals from it.

The cycle you described is one of either stupidity or cowardice or both.Every month I have to decide for this farm what goes on.I have to plan forward.For the hay and corn and cattle and horses and sheep and employees and for fuel and taxes and fertilizer. Every month for
    15 years. Sometimes hard calls have to be made and you step up and make them.It's called being a grown up.

You DON'T leave your windows open and wonder how the snow got in the living room.

Tamara
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Feb. 5, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

This. And I seem to recall the owner of these horses advocating every horse owner knowing how to do just that on this very forum.

As far as the carcasses that would have remained after the fact, this is Nevada we're talking about and not some suburb of San Francisco. Explaining the reason why the horses were put down, and legally disposing of the bodies would be more than enough satisfy any questions.

The owner had a whole slew of excuses why the horses were in that shape, and yet very little concrete action to address those problems.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    It's a wake up. We're going to see more of this with this economy, drought, and feed prices. I look at these incidents as rehearsal for when it happens to you or someone you know. Brace yourselves. Big horse operations with no income -rescues, sanctuaries, and the like -are in alot of trouble right now. Pray for them (literally or figuratively).

Paula
    yep. I agree. We haven't seen the bottom of this downward spiral yet. We're going to hear more and more about this kind of situation.

I'm sorry for CCH, but there comes a point that you DO something. Beg for help, give them away, Craigslist, something. And if that doesn't happen...YOU contact the sheriff or some other organization, don't wait for them to come to you. And if that isn't helpful...there is always what Tamara offered.

Stupidity or cowardice it is. Or maybe a bit of both. Just heartbreaking.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I think you would STILL get in BIG TROUBLE. So. while a quick death does solve the horse's problem, it does not get the owner out of the pit of a problem cycle they are in.
    it does not, but allowing them to be at a point LE has to seize them did/does not stop the trouble the owner is in either and then there are horses that are in trouble as well as people who are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what do you do when you can't give them away....
    For starters, you STOP EFFING BREEDING!!!!!!!!!!!
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

I don't think it's stupidity, it's hope. Maybe something will change tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow. It's denial -things are only a little bad. When I read about these situations I don't think, "how could you be so stupid" I think, God help me to have the courage to do the right thing, and the perspective to know when if I'm ever in this situation.

Paula