The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Ah, sorry, but precedence proofs you wrong.

Not too long ago a lady got her horses seized. Initially because of the empty water buckets. Yes there is more to it, but I dare not reopen that can of worms. The horses were in just fine condition, as AC had to admit per their own vet tests. The woman still did not get her animals back.

oops. Shoots your theory in the wind.

many, if not most places do not have any minimal care standards.
    There was the little problem of inadequate fencing and inadequate shelter. I think the neighbors were sick of the horses getting out.

She was in over her head.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    There was the little problem of inadequate fencing and inadequate shelter. I think the neighbors were sick of the horses getting out.

She was in over her head.
    Not the point.

When AC showed up they were contained.
    The shelter, yes. By Law required. But I am sure when the weather is not threatening it's not a reason to seize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Question? I agree that those "elf feet" are atrocious but, all my horses self trim. Their feet may get a little long and raggedy looking but nothing like that. The only feet like that that I've ever seen were on a very overweight, foundered pony who had probably foundered several times and never had vet or farrier care. So why wouldn't CCH's horses' feet not self trim? Is it because they were confined in small enclosures? I would think that with the sandy soil that the horses' feet would wear down to, if not an ideal shape, at least a decent length.

I just remembered that when we bought our donkeys, their feet were getting to elf shoe length, after a couple of months of wandering around in the pastures, they wore down and looked pretty decent.

Question Northeastern Nevada horse rescue?

Does anybody have information on this horse rescue? They only seem to exist on facebook. No address or phone number, or website is listed anywhere that I can see. There is no information about their experience, staff, facility??? No adoption forms or information about fees, adoption criteria, ect.

They are rumored to be only about 6 months old, but have over 80 horses in their care already (including these). They are asking for money and donations to help cover costs including feed, but are not allowing people to adopt them up front even though many are previous owners of these horses and can save the rescue thousands of dollars in feed and care expenses.

Is it because there are still legal issues involving Dorothy, or?

Does anybody know who they are? I was going to donate, but can't figure out what the heck is going on. There is a lot of internet bashing, and people are saying that only a few of the horses were in rescue condition and that the rest are not bad at all, but the NNR is requiring a mimimum 30 day quarenting on all of the horses. That does not really make sense unless there is a legal issue regarding ownership. I want to make sure that I am putting my money towards a good cause. Anybody have first hand information?

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    A screenshot of a video from CCH in 2011 - check out the mare's hooves there.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...63029515_n.jpg
    Also, the video is dated 2011 and there IS a foal laying in the background.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Those feet have been NEGLECTED for sometime, looks like that mare already had elf slippers back in 2011. Yep – horses eating off the sand, any wonder they are sand colicing? Once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And yes.. that is a foal laying in the background – breeding when you can’t even take proper care of basic’s like their feet.

These horses did not just fall out of the sky. These horses were bred, when their basic necessities could not be taken care of.

I am still not buying any excuses for it. The breeding operation should have come to a halt long ago.

Here is the video

There are more than a few foals shown, and mares that look to be in foal. When did trouble start for Colored Cowhorse? Because it sure doesn't look like breeding plans were scaled down for the 2010/2011 season.

I found the name "Deanne Tierney" as the person who drove to Fallon from the rescue. The registered agent is Shannon Ilg, 461 Tiffany Drive,
    Spring Creek, NV 89815 (no phone listed)

Here is a link with more contacts (no phones)

http://www.bizapedia.com/nv/NORTHEAS...ESCUE-INC.html

Further googling shows they have some YouTube clips with adoptees, although I can't see them from work.

A reference here:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...485192-28.html

mentioned that this "new" rescue already has 100 horses which are starting to go downhill.

There's quite a discussion there.

I'm sure somebody can come up with phone numbers.

Ah, here's the number for Northeast Nevada Horse Rescue. They're already sounding like a fishy lot.

775-385-0323

The plot thickens--it appears that the 100 horses already at the "rescue" are part of a paint breeding operation. Somebody might have found a way to finance their business.

The rescue that took CCH's horses are taking in more.

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/ar...NEWS/120819947

Claims continue that this rescue has 100+ horses and a breeding program, but *again* still searching for substantial proof on that.

There are only three horses for adoption by this rescue, all for a fairly large sum of money. (At least it would be down by my neck of the woods.)

When you click on this page link, http://www.ask.com/web?q=Wells%20Nev...l&geo=US&ver=6

go to the bottom and click on "Additions AQHA" that opens an Adobe reader PDF page that contains the below list of names. Last name.

Suspension: AQHA

9/04/12 8:32:58 AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE Page 1
    Suspension Additions
    Customer Name City State Country Suspended Date
    *removed extra names*
    TIERNEY DEANNA WELLS NV US 08/20/12
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

I expect the feet won't self trim due to the high sand content. Gads, and it looks like they were being fed on the ground too. Not even a piece of plywood or a stall mat, just right off the sand.

At some point in time I think you have to stop clinging to the what if's and what could be's and face reality. They won't sell, they are eating you out of house and home and need more work than can be reasonably provided by the one person in charge. It's like a hoarder keeping "valuable things" that get ruined by the manner in which they are kept.

I don't know how this will play out in the long run, it's a bad deal all around and I feel badly for all involved.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    The rescue that took CCH's horses are taking in more.

http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/ar...NEWS/120819947

Claims continue that this rescue has 100+ horses and a breeding program, but *again* still searching for substantial proof on that.

There are only three horses for adoption by this rescue, all for a fairly large sum of money. (At least it would be down by my neck of the woods.)

When you click on this page link, http://www.ask.com/web?q=Wells%20Nev...l&geo=US&ver=6

go to the bottom and click on "Additions AQHA" that opens an Adobe reader PDF page that contains the below list of names. Last name.

Suspension: AQHA

9/04/12 8:32:58 AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE Page 1
    Suspension Additions
    Customer Name City State Country Suspended Date
    *removed extra names*
    TIERNEY DEANNA WELLS NV US 08/20/12
    Soooo, just so I'm not reading anything into this that isn't there...............
    the rescue that took the horses is (per the link) currently buying horses at auction, soliciting funds, at over 100 equines already, BREEDING and owned by someone currently suspended from the AQHA? Am I close?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

That is what it appears to be.

I am posting this at the request of Deanna Tierney, President at Northeastern Nevada Equine Rescue.
    Since NNER has been granted custody of the 31 Fallon horses, seized in a local neglect case, Deanna has been inundated with phone calls, texts, emails and FB messages from people who are interested in adopting some of these horses. Everyone at NNER is thrilled to see so much interest in these horses, and so many kind & concerned people willing to give them loving homes, but please understand that NNER has a set protocol that must be followed in situations like this, and prior to ANY adoptions being made of these horses.

The prior veterinary care of these horses has been questionable at best, and they have been in a feedlot for the past two weeks, so due to these circumstances, NNER feels it is in the best interest of EVERYBODY to quarantine these horses for the next 30 days. During this time, these horses will receive the vet care they need, vaccinations, deworming, hoof care, and be evaluated. After the 30 day quarantine, NNER will post pics and info. of the horses as they become available for adoption, and any interested parties can then contact NNER and apply to adopt one of these beautiful animals. NNER’s first commitment is to the horses themselves, and we feel that this is the only *RESPONSIBLE* way to handle the situation. Deanna is also asking that any inquiries into adopting any of these horses be POST-PONED UNTIL THE 30 DAY QUARANTINE PERIOD IS UP.

We know that everyone means well, and wants to help by offering these horses a loving home, and we GREATLY appreciate it, but right now the focus MUST be solely on the horses themselves and getting them the care they need. Every time Deanna has to stop to answer a call, text, email, FB message, etc. it takes her away from her duties to the horses. Again, we GREATLY appreciate all of the interest and support we have received in reference to these horses, but please respect our request to delay any adoption inquiries until the 30 day quarantine period is up. Deanna, and everyone at NNER, thanks you for your support!!
    Posted on the rescue's page a couple days ago. I for one am curious to see if the horses actually get adopted out, and at what kind of "adoption" fee.

At this point the horses legally belong to the rescue, via court order.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

"""""We know that everyone means well, and wants to help by offering these horses a loving home, and we GREATLY appreciate it, but right now the focus MUST be solely on the horses themselves and getting them the care they need. Every time Deanna has to stop to answer a call, text, email, FB message, etc. it takes her away from her duties to the horses. Again, we GREATLY appreciate all of the interest and support we have received in reference to these horses, but please respect our request to delay any adoption inquiries until the 30 day quarantine period is up. Deanna, and everyone at NNER, thanks you for your support!! """"

ok, If I weren't so freaked out about a 44 day quarantine protocol (they have been there two weeks and are starting a 30 day quarantine?), what the F kind of rescue discourages contact or FB support etc???? Why would it take her away from the horses? Is she the only one working there???
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Soooo, just so I'm not reading anything into this that isn't there...............
    the rescue that took the horses is (per the link) currently buying horses at auction, soliciting funds, at over 100 equines already, BREEDING and owned by someone currently suspended from the AQHA? Am I close?
    Hard to believe, is it.

Then in 30 days they will be selling all those horses to well meaning adopters.

Is that even a registered rescue at all, IRS number, all that, or just someone calling themselves a rescue to get donations coming in?

Posted by CCH herself on her FB.

Photo of mares, one stallion and yearling colts taken at sales yard on 9/16/12
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...60124032_n.jpg

Another shot taken same time
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92990476_n.jpg
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

(message to short without this)

Dorothy Robertson

Yes...financial issues for the last year plus. Had renters in second house who didn't pay rent/electric (one meter for entire place) for 7 months, did approx $5K in damages and hay prices went sky high....fed horses and lost the ranch eventually this last spring. NO mares bred for this year or next (unless they got preg with stalllion/yearling colts running with mares....posting photo of them in a minute). Offered horses for sale lots of places including local radio classifieds (for as low as $250 for registerable...all paperwork completed....4 year old with all ground work done, saddled, bridled, ground driven, trailers, ties, bathes, clips etc......so please don't tell me I didn't have reasonable prices...chihauhau pups sell for more than that!), craigslist, Dreamhorse etc. Do you really think it smart to just give away horses to anyone who walks up and wants them? Aren't we told that this is dangerous for the horses? Besides, I could always negotiate down if it seemed like a good home....and did in a couple of cases...not sure I'm required to post any horse I sell and what I sold it for out there for the general public to discuss.
    22 minutes ago · Like · 2

Old stallion had health issues off/on for almost a year....strangles in late summer, pigeon fever in late fall with last abscesses draining in Jan. Move here in late May was tough on him....had to pen and separate from bachelor herd.....paced and hollered for almost 2 weeks. Then sand colic and possible founder. On bute, SMZ, omeprazole (for possible ulcers),epsom salt soaks, 30 lbs alfalfa a day plus sr feed, calf manna....just kept loosing wt...eating eagerly and interested in everything. Blew out two foot abscesses during the summer. Drinking 30-35 gallons a day and peeing the same.
    4 minutes ago · Like

Was on new place less than 5 weeks when deputy came saying there was anonymous complaint.....only person who could see pens/mare field is neighbor to the south (wife works dispatch for sheriffs office and he openly told me he wanted the runoff/excess water from the irrigation system that feeds the pond on my back field....neither piece of land has irrigation rights so this would not be a legal move on his part). Sheriff's deputy at that visit said "no evidence of neglect...several issues, not serious, being addressed with plans and treatment"...he did two more drive by checks and testified last week that he didn't think anything had changed for the worse.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website