The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Didn't the rescue pick the horses up??

Sorry, my ADHD kicked in and all the posts are a little of info-overload.

Something I did see while trying to skim and understand, if the rescues are full, where did THIS rescue come from they could take 30+ horses??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

The news article said she traveled hours to get to these horses so she's not local.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Didn't the rescue pick the horses up??

Sorry, my ADHD kicked in and all the posts are a little of info-overload.

Something I did see while trying to skim and understand, if the rescues are full, where did THIS rescue come from they could take 30+ horses??
    That is why I asked too. I cannot remember what was said and re-reading all this will just make my head continue to spin!

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    This!!!! Does it not bother anyone that that took ALL her horses just because, by my count 4, were bad? She admitted that she had one old horse that needed to be put down, a couple that were thin due to illness and one yearling whose feet were bad. The rest of the horses in the video looked fine. Not roly poly fat maybe but in decent weight with shiny coats.

Through no fault of my own, I am responsible for about 22 horses. It's a long story but I finally managed to get all the colts gelded except 2 and they will be done next spring. I am working on getting everything halter broke, handled and starting those old enough under saddle. I could just load the whole bunch up and haul them to the kill sale but that's a last resort. I have finally got the facilities where I will be able to work with these horses, but that's another story. I have little help and support but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.

Now, all of them are in decent weight, most are fat to obese on grass alone. But, one, my old guy, pushing 30, looks rough, really rough. His teeth aren't good and he doesn't do well once the grass gets dry and tough. I haven't been able this summer to keep him separate from the others and feed him. I also haven't been able to check him every day. So I have to say that I'm rather embarrassed at the way he is looking. Things have changed so now he is getting his senior feed, beet pulp and alfalfa 2x per day. My point is should law enforcement be able to come out and take ALL my horses because one looks bad?

Also, all you folks that say you want to help someone before the situation gets dire, I have some nice, young haflinger x quarter horse ponies that I'd love to find a nice home for. PM me. I have 3 donkeys too.
    Wirewieners, have you tried the giveaway board? I don't think ponies or donks are hard to re-home if they're sound.

And one old, thin horse is understandable. Old horse that is suffering + elf feet + an unreasonably skinny horse + admission that there isn't enough money to euth the one that needs it + and only 2 days supply of hay......not understandable at all.

ColoredCowhorses, I hope things get better for you soon. Sorry you are going through this.

When I was looking for my second horse, Samthebigredhorse, I had quite a few offers of free broodies. People getting out of breeding and wanted the old dears off the feedbill. I said no, not what I'm looking. Then the old ladies showed up on CL for a few days or a week, then, poof...gone. They weren't at the livestock sale. The KB said he wouldn't take them when I mentioned the old ones to him. They aren't out in the pastures either. I don't think the geezerettes are up in the fancy barn either, that's for the show horses.

So....when no one is looking...possibly 'Blam'. I'm not going to ask. A better end than turning them loose like my Sam to fend for themselves and possibly turn into coyote or cougar bait.

I was perhaps too brief,good farmers who care about their
    mares have cared for them for years and continue at their times' end to care for them.

They DO NOT dump them on some starry eyed dillweed dreamer for $10 on CL or anywhere else.They keep their dignity and die on their homes unafraid and in most cases not even worried.

It is far harder on the farmers than the animals.But they know that this mare who has three or four generations of offspring even on that same farm deserved the same end as she had life given to her.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

and the total measure of a person is read complete in even one of those ads.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I tried something different...I noticed that if there were horses in need in (just an example) Alabama..there would be posters in Washington State, Oregon, California who would state..if ONLY THEY WERE CLOSER I HAVE THE EXTRA ROOM TO TAKE TWO OR THREE
    When there were horses in need in California et al, someone from New Jersey would make the same "distance" claim

So I would contact them about horses in their area..WOW...what an eye opener..I was told to back off..how dare I...not THEIR problem as they didn't breed, hoard or any other excuse...however many still post and gosh are they judgemental and critical

I expect some of those individuals will immediate start to circle the wagons and attack me again...that should be fun as they will out themselves.

Maybe the forum members weren't actually insincere, maybe its you and your personality and they just didn't want anything to do with you. I'd probably get a restraining order on you if you ever tried to contact me.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Wirewieners, was that what happened? 27 horses looked fine and only 4 looked bad? Did you see the horses or are you privy to information I overlooked?

Paula

The news article said she traveled hours to get to these horses so she's not local.
    The rescue is in Wells, NV, about 5 hours and 300 miles away. In Nevada, that is local. The brand inspector made the determination, apparently, that the confiscation was appropriate, and the animals are at the local auction yard in Fallon.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post

Paula
    you haven't spent much time out west, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    No. It's funny because in PA traveling an hour to get anywhere is par for the course. I don't even think about it until I get some non PA person in my car and that person is appalled Same thing here I guess, but I'm the guest.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    Maybe the forum members weren't actually insincere, maybe its you and your personality and they just didn't want anything to do with you. I'd probably get a restraining order on you if you ever tried to contact me.
    I reviewed the posts and tried to contact individuals who appeared to have capabilities and compassion

You were never considered

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    From another forum:

"Shooter. The 5 to 7 month old colt with the elf feet. "

[/url]
    So how long does it take for a young horse's feet to get THAT long? I've seen adult horses that don't get that bad after 6-8 months; do the younger horses grow out much faster (less body weight, etc?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    At this point I will chime in with the following

1) We need a national registry of horses, so we know who's got what, where, and how many.

2) COTH could possibly be a better place if people posted under their real names. There is both a lot of abusive behavior and a lot of wasted energy that is encouraged because people participate with absolutely no risk to themselves, whilst they harm others...

We could do more to help each other, and the horses, if people would own their opinions and behavior.
    !. Nope. HSUS, Corrupt Rescues and Animal Control would have a field day. I don't know of many who would voluntarily give this information out

2. Leo Maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by Pat9 View Post
    The rescue is in Wells, NV, about 5 hours and 300 miles away. In Nevada, that is local. The brand inspector made the determination, apparently, that the confiscation was appropriate, and the animals are at the local auction yard in Fallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    No. It's funny because in PA traveling an hour to get anywhere is par for the course. I don't even think about it until I get some non PA person in my car and that person is appalled Same thing here I guess, but I'm the guest.

Paula
    Not withstanding the whole of this posting, that's pretty funny. "Over there" from where I live in southern OR is Salt Lake City or Portland or Sacramento. A Sunday drive is Bend or Eugene and probably back. It's about 45 minutes for me to get to the nearest big city, piece of cake.

Still...after rereading this, all rescues are supposedly full and this lady shows up to take (all of) them? Also, it's been a bit since I watched the video of the lady, but there are THREE farriers in Wells?? Three?? Wells isn't that big a 'town'. They must be part-time then, however, with this herd coming in, they will get to be busy at least for a while.

Still...after rereading this, all rescues are supposedly full and this lady shows up to take (all of) them? Also, it's been a bit since I watched the video of the lady, but there are THREE farriers in Wells?? Three?? Wells isn't that big a 'town'. They must be part-time then, however, with this herd coming in, they will get to be busy at least for a while.
    I don't think we have "the rest of the story" yet, so can't do any other than guess and, well, we know what that is worth.

It is bad if neglect really was happening.
    It is bad if animal control/the sheriff were not acting honestly, if there was other going on or they didn't go by the book, or even may be breaking laws if they happen not to really have a case.

Will have to wait to hear more to know more.

THREE farriers in Wells?? Three?? Wells isn't that big a 'town'.
    Wells itself isn't very big, but the surrounding ranches probably have a lot of horses, and these individuals may drive a long way in the course of their work. They may indeed be part-timers as well, as mining is doing pretty well at the moment, and may pay better, with less wear and tear on the body.

It's got to be tough for the rescue there to rehome horses, with a relatively small population.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey