The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    From what i have read on another web site, there is more to this story than you all know. Out of over 20 horses only 5 were in poor shape.
    And that's five too many.

I wont go into why as there is no excuse.
    No. There isn't.

However, the bigger concern now is the rescue,
    Jesus wept.
    No, the bigger concern is *not* the rescue.
    The bigger bloody concern is that, even though there is more than adequate evidence that the owner of these horses neglected them beyond any defensible level, *you* still think that people who said "enough!" are blameworthy.

Just. stop. now.

This rescue repeatedly shows the same 5 horses for shock value and conveniently does not include pictures of the other horses. The other horses just so you all know were in good shape with the feet done.
    So. what.

That's like excusing a horrific cases of child abuse by saying 'well, they only tortured and abused the one foster kid--their own children were fine".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    And that's five too many.

No. There isn't.

Jesus wept.
    No, the bigger concern is *not* the rescue.
    The bigger bloody concern is that, even though there is more than adequate evidence that the owner of these horses neglected them beyond any defensible level, *you* still think that people who said "enough!" are blameworthy.

Just. stop. now.

So. what.

That's like excusing a horrific cases of child abuse by saying 'well, they only tortured and abused the one foster kid--their own children were fine".
    Lets not forget this doesn't seem to have been the first time either, for what some have reported.
    There seems to be something seriously wrong with this person.

6 members found this post helpful.

texan
    From what i have read on another web site, there is more to this story than you all know. Out of over 20 horses only 5 were in poor shape. I wont go into why as there is no excuse. HGS? Home of the naive? And only 5? However, the bigger concern now is the rescue, who did no intake pictures, and turned down offers from other rescues for help. They did intake photos of animals they didn't receive immediately after the seizure. Not all rescues/counties want those made public until there are charges. Just because the general public is nosy and wants all the dirt ASAP doesn't mean they get it. This particular rescue is suspect at best, along with why and how the horses were seized. Rescue didn't seize. Why the horses were seized. A moron missing his head would guess it had something to do with the downed starved horse that was euthanized and a handful more with Aladin feet and bones sticking out. And the owner was suspect too...in multiple past cases. For the naive: when an animal seizure happens, they typically seize ALL animals. Not just the ones anonymous silly people online think should be seized. This rescue repeatedly shows the same 5 horses for shock value and conveniently does not include pictures of the other horses. The other horses just so you all know were in good shape with the feet done. You were there? You know that? Or are you going on the silly conspiracies from HGS? And all rescues show the worst cases. Rescues run on donations. Show photos of decent looking horses and nobody donates.
    This rescue now has 100 horses, people did line up to take them and the rescue ignores them. I understand the concern now is, that because the majority of them are well bred mares, the thought is the rescue is using them for breeding. You understand? Again, you were there? And now know their thoughts? Amazing. BTW, every single breeding nightmare that does this to their stock says the exact SAME thing: Most were healthy and worth a ton and great lines and the rescue/authorities just stole them to make MONEY! And it's always always always complete and utter bullshite. The only thing i will say, and i am not excusing the lady at all for the 5 horses, ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE, but the seizure was not legal in anyway shape or form. You're the authorities now? You can make exact statements like these as facts...how? And if it wasn;t legal, the authorities there will handle it. Or is the entire legal system in on the conspiracy to steal colored horsies and make millions off of them too? This is just what i have read on another forum, along with court documents that were posted there. I took a peek through the silliness there on HGS too. They know law as well as I know astrophysics. And for the record...I don't know squat about astrophysics. I probably didn;t even spell it correctly.
    I did see some pictures of the other horses and they were NOT skin and bone by anyway shape or form. As stated before...starve one to death and let at least 5 more get almost to that point as they hobble around on excrutiatingly painful feet someone couldn't be arsed to run a rasp over and when your animals are siezed, they will take every last one no matter what shape the rest are in. And if they had left the rest there and those went downhill, the same silly people would be upset about that too.
    Most people that knew the lady felt the herd should have been split up between all the rescues that wanted to help, as the rescue that has them is crying for hay. Because that is how animals should be handled when seized...they should ask those who knew and/or are friends with the one who killed one and was trying to kill a few more how THOSE people think the animals should be distributed.
    ALL rescues "cry" for hay and help when they take in a decent number of animals. Not a single one anywhere can handle a large scale seizure financially without help. None keep an account with an enormous sum in it just in case at some point they get another herd brought in.

Is this rescue the best? Is it wonderful? Who knows...you and I certainly don't know. And the folks on HGS certainly don't either. Sure they definitely could screw up, happens often with rescues. But one thing is for sure...good or bad that rescue is an ENORMOUS improvement over where the horses were.

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    texan
    From what i have read on another web site, there is more to this story than you all know. Out of over 20 horses only 5 were in poor shape. I wont go into why as there is no excuse. HGS? Home of the naive? And only 5? However, the bigger concern now is the rescue, who did no intake pictures, and turned down offers from other rescues for help. They did intake photos of animals they didn't receive immediately after the seizure. Not all rescues/counties want those made public until there are charges. Just because the general public is nosy and wants all the dirt ASAP doesn't mean they get it. This particular rescue is suspect at best, along with why and how the horses were seized. Rescue didn't seize. Why the horses were seized. A moron missing his head would guess it had something to do with the downed starved horse that was euthanized and a handful more with Aladin feet and bones sticking out. And the owner was suspect too...in multiple past cases. For the naive: when an animal seizure happens, they typically seize ALL animals. Not just the ones anonymous silly people online think should be seized. This rescue repeatedly shows the same 5 horses for shock value and conveniently does not include pictures of the other horses. The other horses just so you all know were in good shape with the feet done. You were there? You know that? Or are you going on the silly conspiracies from HGS? And all rescues show the worst cases. Rescues run on donations. Show photos of decent looking horses and nobody donates.
    This rescue now has 100 horses, people did line up to take them and the rescue ignores them. I understand the concern now is, that because the majority of them are well bred mares, the thought is the rescue is using them for breeding. You understand? Again, you were there? And now know their thoughts? Amazing. BTW, every single breeding nightmare that does this to their stock says the exact SAME thing: Most were healthy and worth a ton and great lines and the rescue/authorities just stole them to make MONEY! And it's always always always complete and utter bullshite. The only thing i will say, and i am not excusing the lady at all for the 5 horses, ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE, but the seizure was not legal in anyway shape or form. You're the authorities now? You can make exact statements like these as facts...how? And if it wasn;t legal, the authorities there will handle it. Or is the entire legal system in on the conspiracy to steal colored horsies and make millions off of them too? This is just what i have read on another forum, along with court documents that were posted there. I took a peek through the silliness there on HGS too. They know law as well as I know astrophysics. And for the record...I don't know squat about astrophysics. I probably didn;t even spell it correctly.
    I did see some pictures of the other horses and they were NOT skin and bone by anyway shape or form. As stated before...starve one to death and let at least 5 more get almost to that point as they hobble around on excrutiatingly painful feet someone couldn't be arsed to run a rasp over and when your animals are siezed, they will take every last one no matter what shape the rest are in. And if they had left the rest there and those went downhill, the same silly people would be upset about that too.
    Most people that knew the lady felt the herd should have been split up between all the rescues that wanted to help, as the rescue that has them is crying for hay. Because that is how animals should be handled when seized...they should ask those who knew and/or are friends with the one who killed one and was trying to kill a few more how THOSE people think the animals should be distributed.
    ALL rescues "cry" for hay and help when they take in a decent number of animals. Not a single one anywhere can handle a large scale seizure financially without help. None keep an account with an enormous sum in it just in case at some point they get another herd brought in.

Is this rescue the best? Is it wonderful? Who knows...you and I certainly don't know. And the folks on HGS certainly don't either. Sure they definitely could screw up, happens often with rescues. But one thing is for sure...good or bad that rescue is an ENORMOUS improvement over where the horses were.

AMEN!!!.

1 members found this post helpful.

texan [INDENT]From what i have read on another web site, there is more to this story than you all know. Out of over 20 horses only 5 were in poor shape. I wont go into why as there is no excuse. HGS? Home of the naive? And only 5?
    Five horses out of 20 is 25% of her herd.
    Even if, as I read earlier on this thread, her herd was actually over 30... some people find that an acceptable percentage?

This rescue now has 100 horses, people did line up to take them and the rescue ignores them. I understand the concern now is, that because the majority of them are well bred mares, the thought is the rescue is using them for breeding. You understand? Again, you were there? And now know their thoughts? Amazing. BTW, every single breeding nightmare that does this to their stock says the exact SAME thing: Most were healthy and worth a ton and great lines and the rescue/authorities just stole them to make MONEY! And it's always always always complete and utter bullshite.
    Yup so valuable that *horrors* the rescue might breed or sell them at a 'profit' [cause nursing them back to health is so cheap, right?]... when the owner/breeder/abuser who was in the actual industry could not do the same? Yeah, that's likely.
    This was the same claim/theory they held out re: Marsha Parkinsons seizure which ended with a neglect plea on the part of Marsha- it was a land grab and a horse grab. Oy!
    The conspiracy theorists... *shaking head*... give so much credit to the 'rescues' marketing and ability to sell horses that were not selling prior.... it would be laughable if it were not sad.

They did intake photos of animals they didn't receive immediately after the seizure. Not all rescues/counties want those made public until there are charges. Just because the general public is nosy and wants all the dirt ASAP doesn't mean they get it.
    This is worth repeating. I've been on seizures, I've helped coordinate them with law enforcement officials. We take photos of -every- horse on the property, even the dead ones. Heck, if someone ever got hold of of my lap top, they would think I had a thing for dead horses. Because I have case files full of photos of dead horses. . When the media asks for photos or when we ask for funds to help with the horses' care, we select a couple of photos to use. We don't release all the photos as they're considered evidence.

I think the rescue looks a bit poorly run - but that's from the internet. I'm not there in person. AND just because the rescue may not be the best run rescue in the country doesn't mean the seizure of horses wasn't justified. The rescue doesn't get to decide when to seize or what horses to seize, law enforcement officials make that call.

Cases like this show why I don't defend or condemn on the internet. There's often information that we're not privy that may explain the details we question. I do try to come in and educate on procedural matters, because I think it is important that everyone understand how these things work.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    This was the same claim/theory they held out re: Marsha Parkinsons seizure which ended with a neglect plea on the part of Marsha- it was a land grab and a horse grab. Oy!
    The conspiracy theorists... *shaking head*... give so much credit to the 'rescues' marketing and ability to sell horses that were not selling prior.... it would be laughable if it were not sad.
    Watch out! Mentioning MP's name 3 times will bring you know who from Canada to the thread! It's like saying "Beetlejuice" 3x!!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    The rescue doesn't get to decide when to seize or what horses to seize, law enforcement officials make that call.
    And this, my bold, also bears repeating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Watch out! Mentioning MP's name 3 times will bring you know who from Canada to the thread! It's like saying "Beetlejuice" 3x!!!!

'Youknowwho' was already on this thread earlier professing his all knowing powers of crystal ball reading that always equals 'rescues seize horses to make money' jibberish.

Yup so valuable that *horrors* the rescue might breed or sell them at a 'profit' [cause nursing them back to health is so cheap, right?]... when the owner/breeder/abuser who was in the actual industry could not do the same? Yeah, that's likely.
    That is a head shaker...and it happens way too often.

It's bad enough when a breeder does these horrid things to their animals, causing serious suffering while pretending nothing is wrong so as to keep up their own appearances.
    There's always the reason of: Well they're cruel, uncaring and stupid.

But then to have others who will pipe up who believe them, defend them and come up with absolutely inane conspiracy theories in an attempt to explain blatant neglect, abuse and cruelty. It's unbelievable!

Breeders try giving away for FREE their "well bred excellent stock" to anyone who will take them, can't find a single taker and yet a rescue and the AC STOLE valuable animals to make a fortune off of them! After they spend a fortune (on animals nobody wanted for free) getting them healthy again.

And now we know why this keeps happening. Not only are there people dumb enough to not overproduce stock that isn;t selling, but there;s a whole 'nother subset of morons willing to believe it's all a conspiracy too. WAY too many dumbasses in the equine world.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    'Youknowwho' was already on this thread earlier professing his all knowing powers of crystal ball reading that always equals 'rescues seize horses to make money' jibberish.
    Oh darn, I missed it!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been looking at NNER's site on FB every now and again, when I get a wild hair to do so, someone said the after pics don't match up markings-wise with the before pics. For some reason, with Paints, I cannot tell Paints apart in a herd situation. Appaloosas, no problem, I can spot one particular horse in the middle of a herd of spots, but Paints? Nope. So, does anyone know if the before and after pictures match up markings wise??
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Thumbs down

I do not care about the politics behind the rescue. I really don’t. Unfortunately there are many rescues run by the horse equivalent of the “crazy cat lady”.

But Dorothy “coloredcowhorse” is an ANIMAL ABUSER – she is the despicable hoarder. People like this make me SICK AND ANGRY.

Dorothy STARVED and neglected horses – look at this poor feet?!? Look at their skin!!! Ribs all round – yes, only some were close to death skinny, none were healthy.

Dorothy has shown a pattern of ANIMAL ABUSE.

STOP going after the rescue, no they are not the “bigger concern!” Its crap attitudes like that, that allows sick in the head animal abusers to keep doing what they do.

Like said early on this thread – If you can’t afford them, don’t keep them, and sure as hell do not breed them. Like I said then, this would NEVER happen to me or my animals – because I would never get so deep over my head.

You have to be mentally ill to do this to horses you see every day. Dorothy should never have horses again.

Those poor SUFFERING animals.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I do not care about the politics behind the rescue. I really don’t. Unfortunately there are many rescues run by the horse equivalent of the “crazy cat lady”.

But Dorothy “coloredcowhorse” is an ANIMAL ABUSER – she is the despicable hoarder. People like this make me SICK AND ANGRY.

Dorothy STARVED and neglected horses – look at this poor feet?!? Look at their skin!!! Ribs all round – yes, only some were close to death skinny, none were healthy.

STOP going after the rescue, no they are not the “bigger concern!” Its crap attitudes like that, that allows sick in the head animal abusers to keep doing what they do.

Like said early on this thread – If you can’t afford them, don’t keep them, and sure as hell do not breed them. Like I said then, this would NEVER happen to me or my animals – because I would never get so deep over my head.

You have to be mentally ill to do this to horses you see every day. Dorothy should never have horses again.

well, with hindsight being 20/20, you are correct.

However, as the facts trickled in, it was not apparent, because, well, things have been done wrong in the past as well.

So yes, the lady is now a 2 time convicted animal abuser.
    And hopefully she will not repeat it a third time.

That does not however touch on the issues on bad rescues and bad seizures.
    Yhey can intersect with abuse problems, or stand alone as nightmare to be dealt with.

Because bad seizures did happen in the past we have to be vigilant.
    Because the animals end up in just as bad a spot.

Are all cases bad?
    I sure hope not.
    But like abuse, one single case is too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Calm down, you're going to stroke.

As I see it, the rescue gets the big eyeballs on them to keep things on the up and up. Just because they took in the horses doesn't mean they get a free pass. From what I've seen, the beginnings of the seizure, they were in deep water for a long time but, if the markings match up, they seem to have helped some of the horses. The ones I saw had some weight on them and hooves and some skin problems were being taken care of. They didn't seem to know what they were getting themselves into at the beginning (understatement). But, they don't get a free pass because they took in 34 MORE horses to add to the many they had before. I've been concerned about that, not to mention the hard winter we've had out this way.

Actually, if I still drove a big rig, I would make a point of swinging by to see how things work there, up close and personal. I used to go through Wells about 2-3 times a month.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

And Dorothy was enabled by those willing to believe her lies and take issue with the rescue instead.

People DEFENDED her without knowing the truth - and yet are willing to go after the rescue knowing even less.

Would have been better if the horses never needed to go to a rescue. If this sicko hadn't bred and starved horses.

This crap will keep up unless the horse community does something about it.

6 members found this post helpful.

And Dorothy was enabled by those willing to believe her lies and take issue with the rescue instead.

People DEFENDED her without knowing the truth - and yet are willing to go after the rescue knowing even less.
    Whoah....

you are reaching a bit far here.

Not sure how you can enable on the net.
    it's not like everybody cheered her on to breed more or buy more.....or gave her more horses....
    she posted a few stories, seemed to have it together, even to the person meeting her.

Even now going after the rescue?

With the exception of texan....who, btw summed up the problems as the seizure was going down....I don't think anybody is going after the rescue at this point. Although it does not mean they are indeed clean. Nor crooked....I don't think anybody can really tell from here.

Hindsight being what it is....

but as it went down, there was a lot of condemning without knowing the truth, too. It was not clear whether or not it was right or not. from what we knew. Be sure to keep that in mind. Should things go south for you you might experience it as well.

Oh yeah, right. Nobody condones abuse and neglect.

But we cannot accept bad seizures either. Both sides of the coin need shining up.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Around these parts, you're innocent till proven guilty. I don't understand the legal aspect of it but she got 30 days, fines and community service. The rescue didn't do themselves any favors acting as they did. They seem a bit more open now, a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, not so snippy and defensive.

However, I just checked a bit ago, they are in the hole to the tune of $35,000 (yes thousands) and only have 10% of that covered. That's just for DR's horses since September, never mind the howmanyotherhorses. Now, you tell me, they aren't getting into some sort of deep hole they may not be able to climb out?? As an aside, how do you spend $35K for five months? Seems a bit high to me but I'm not good with math figuring all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Around these parts, you're innocent till proven guilty. I don't understand the legal aspect of it but she got 30 days, fines and community service. The rescue didn't do themselves any favors acting as they did. They seem a bit more open now, a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, not so snippy and defensive.

However, I just checked a bit ago, they are in the hole to the tune of $35,000 (yes thousands) and only have 10% of that covered. That's just for DR's horses since September, never mind the howmanyotherhorses. Now, you tell me, they aren't getting into some sort of deep hole they may not be able to climb out?? As an aside, how do you spend $35K for five months? Seems a bit high to me but I'm not good with math figuring all the angles.
    considering where they are with the whoknowshowmany horses they have....vet care transport...I can see the bill being high....I don't think hay is cheap there....

However....
    that is a lot of cabbage to to owe...bad business for sure in the horse world.

(added to say, assuming they have 100 rescue horses as mentioned somewhere, that is not even 90 bucks a horse a month, assuming my math is right)

I went back to reread the rescues FB page, it seems they do need help now. Due to a family illness, they are seriously in the hole. $35K for DR's horses and only 10% covered by donations and the other money was paid for by the rescue owner. Only now she can't do it anymore.

So, she is asking for more donations. She seems to be pretty open at this point. Can donations go to her to repay her for what she has personally put out or is it only supposed to go for future work done on the horses? I'm not clear on this. Or does it matter?

She does have some horses, don't know which ones, up for adoption soon.