The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Really makes you want to open your wallet and donate to that rescue, eh?
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh sure no problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Epona142 View Post
    Really makes you want to open your wallet and donate to that rescue, eh?

I dunno, that buttery fart thing...well...the mind does go places with that hanging in the back of it. Kind of gives me the shudders.

About the posts, wow, just wow. I think you could prolly still look up the chip in thing if you know how to access it. Last I saw, before they closed it, it was up to $245.

So, they've banned quite a few, huh?? What, now they're preaching to the choir? Wonder what all the bannings are for??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    So, they've banned quite a few, huh?? What, now they're preaching to the choir?
    For every well run, transparent rescue up and running, there will be three that operate with a much less open and honest business model.

The organizations that really just want a choir to preach to are the ones like this group in Nevada, or CBER in all it's various incarnations, or A.R.M. or AC4H. To question anything is rude, and to ask for more than just vague platitudes is enough to get you pegged as a troublemaker.

I think there are certain catch phrases that these places use, and for many of us when we hear these catch phrases we immediately harken back to OTHER situations when OTHER organizations used the exact same catch phrases to deflect legitimate questions away from the organization.

Although I don't think CCH was doing right by her horses, and I think something needed to happen to disrupt the downward spiral she was in with the horses, I also don't believe that her horses should be "sold" (for lack of a better word) to some group that may not be able to actually care for the horses any better in the long run. Did CCH sign the horses over to the county? Who has ownership now? Not just custody, but legal ownership?

There is so much that doesn't make sense in this situation. Ownership is awarded to the "rescue", based on their ability to pay, before CCH was found guilty of charges that haven't even been filed yet? Is it possible that the Nevada "rescue" is so inexperienced that they don't understand the difference between legal ownership and custody? I have been involved in some pretty large seizures, and we were NEVER able to adopt out or speuter animals until the court case had been resolved and we were given legal ownership of the animals. We might have had physical custody of them for months and months, but without legal ownership we couldn't do anything permanent or lasting to them or with them.
    Sheilah

2 members found this post helpful.

For those of you that don't know this yet, CCH had had 2 previous convictions of neglect. Also seems she has lied about most things. Check out the thread on HGS. Her record is posted there.

What is HGS??

Never mind. I found it. Okay, I gotta say, I'm disappointed, really I am. The old charges are in my neck of the woods and I never thought to check around here, if anyone remembers. I know she had talked of being in OR, just didn't think if was around here, thought it was closer to Bend for some reason.

I'm still not convinced the rescue is on the up and up or a great place for those horses. Have been doing some more reading on them and I'm on the fence about them. Can't put my finger on it, just doesn't sit right, but that means nothing in the great scheme of things.

Never mind. I found it. Okay, I gotta say, I'm disappointed, really I am. The old charges are in my neck of the woods and I never thought to check around here, if anyone remembers. I know she had talked of being in OR, just didn't think if was around here, thought it was closer to Bend for some reason.

I'm still not convinced the rescue is on the up and up or a great place for those horses. Have been doing some more reading on them and I'm on the fence about them. Can't put my finger on it, just doesn't sit right, but that means nothing in the great scheme of things.
    In the current climate, seeing how things are going, I am not eager to jump to conclusions.

Especially not when unknown people from someplace bump up threads that had already died....

The convictions are one thing.

The rescue looking like week old fish is quiet another.

Might be that CCH wasn't on the up and up.
    That does not mean the rescue is either....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    In the current climate, seeing how things are going, I am not eager to jump to conclusions.

Especially not when unknown people from someplace bump up threads that had already died....

The convictions are one thing.

The rescue looking like week old fish is quiet another.

Might be that CCH wasn't on the up and up.
    That does not mean the rescue is either....
    Yeah, it did get bumped up by persons unknown (HA!) but I found it and you can't get around it. She has convictions of animal neglect. Twice before. Sheesh...

Yeah, it did get bumped up by persons unknown (HA!) but I found it and you can't get around it. She has convictions of animal neglect. Twice before. Sheesh...
    And still, the NV rescue smells like rotten fish.

(and for some reason I can't type 'rescue' tonight to safe my own hide.)

There are degrees of neglect. Did the animals starve to the degree of near death or did they not get their pillow mints at night.

Did the person fight the charges or just pay up in order to save money?

dangit, old stuff and Fairfax has me beyond jaded.!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Sounds like she was in over her head and the economy got the worst of her. Those horse look starving and plenty neglected to me and I am glad the rescues got involved. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    And still, the NV rescue smells like rotten fish.

(and for some reason I can't type 'rescue' tonight to safe my own hide.)

There are degrees of neglect. Did the animals starve to the degree of near death or did they not get their pillow mints at night.

Did the person fight the charges or just pay up in order to save money?

dangit, old stuff and Fairfax has me beyond jaded.!
    I don't know. But since it was in my neck of the woods, back in 1995, it would have had to been pretty big/bad for anyone to do anything about it.

Still, from now on, I'm not backing anyone, even if I've met them in person. Learned my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by anita m View Post
    Sounds like she was in over her head and the economy got the worst of her. Those horse look starving and plenty neglected to me and I am glad the rescues got involved. Sad.
    That would be "rescue" singular. And again, a new rescue taking in 34 horses?

Not giving CCH a free pass at all but how many times have we seen rescues being "rescued"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Still, from now on, I'm not backing anyone, even if I've met them in person. Learned my lesson.
    This is why I try HARD not to make judgment calls on seizures based on info on the internet. I've seen what people can do to animals, but I also want to believe the best in people. So I'm always conflicted...

But I do know that what we see online often doesn't cover all the facts and information. If you read some of the stuff that's been put out online about some of the seizures I've been involved in, you would believe that John Deere Execs. are the reason one set of horses were neglected (yes, you read that right ), that I go out and seize horses just so I can have more (despite the fact that I have not yet adopted a horse from the rescues I've run), that we seize horses when we can't buy them (again, despite the fact that I've not yet kept a single horse we've seized), etc. I just always figure that we can't/don't have all the facts.

I WILL comment on how rescues should run, how seizures go, how the legal process works. I figure one of my jobs is education.

And even if the seizure was justified in this case, it doesn't mean the rescue is by default a good one. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Some of the stuff they themselves are putting out there sure makes it seem like they're not prepared for the task they've taken on...

Don't beat yourself up... !
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    This is why I try HARD not to make judgment calls on seizures based on info on the internet. I've seen what people can do to animals, but I also want to believe the best in people. So I'm always conflicted...

But I do know that what we see online often doesn't cover all the facts and information. If you read some of the stuff that's been put out online about some of the seizures I've been involved in, you would believe that John Deere Execs. are the reason one set of horses were neglected (yes, you read that right ), that I go out and seize horses just so I can have more (despite the fact that I have not yet adopted a horse from the rescues I've run), that we seize horses when we can't buy them (again, despite the fact that I've not yet kept a single horse we've seized), etc. I just always figure that we can't/don't have all the facts.

I WILL comment on how rescues should run, how seizures go, how the legal process works. I figure one of my jobs is education.

And even if the seizure was justified in this case, it doesn't mean the rescue is by default a good one. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Some of the stuff they themselves are putting out there sure makes it seem like they're not prepared for the task they've taken on...

Don't beat yourself up... !
    Thank you. I still have doubts about the rescue in and of itself. That being said, I'm annoyed with myself that when I had little niggles about CCH's story, I soldiered on because I had met her and she seemed nice. Yanno, like when someone tells a story and leaves a bit here or there out but it's all innocently done. You can't tell a story with every piece every time, just takes a lot of time. That's what I wrote it all off on.

So, back to being skeptical, doesn't matter who it is. Learned my lesson.

bumping to see if anyone knows the outcome of todays court date...

According to the rescue that has her horses, she pleaded guilty and is not allowed to own horses again, she possibly got 30 days? Unsure of that, or just hearsay. They have now posted pictures of the horses, during seizure, intake, and after showing progress of body condition and hoof care.

The supposed "old stud" that was down and emaciated, was not old after all, he was only 10 years old...

http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....-goes-to-jail/

photos on this blog. I can't believe there were some that defended her, and her horse keeping.

6 members found this post helpful.

Holy moly.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Member of Kathy S. has me on ignore club.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....-goes-to-jail/

photos on this blog. I can't believe there were some that defended her, and her horse keeping.
    I agree. I'm so sick of the people wanting to bash rescues that end up taking these neglected horses, and coming up with big conspiracies, about how the rescue just wants the horses that are "so valuable' (yeah...even meat buyers wouldn't want them, and how valuable is a starved unbroke, unhandled horse that has been crippled by no hoof care?). No one wants to believe that someone could have repeatedly starved and neglected their horses. It's always an unfair seizure/greedy rescue.
    After looking at those pictures, some of you probably owe the rescue an apology for badmouthing them. Regardless of their social skills regarding communication, or lack of them, them DID step up and take/rehad some severely neglected horses.

4 members found this post helpful.