The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default one time join injection of methylprednisone causes cartilage damage?

Hello, I don't know if anybody remembers my post about my horse having moderate arthritis in all 3 joints of his knee and asking for advice.

Well, I decided to go with a steroid/HA joint injection for a temporary anti-inflammation until I can save up enough to do....STEM CELL THERAPY!..

I totally forgot to ask about the option of vetalog/triamcinalone injection (that has been found to be a chondroprotective) instead of the methylprednisone/Depo-Medrol (damaging to cartilage)

and she ended up injecting the Depo-medrol...totally my fault for forgetting.

is a one time injection of this going to damage my horses already deteriorating joints in his knee?
    Last edited by HoofHeartSoul; Sep. 20, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

any vets or exvets?
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

Not a vet, but read the article in the link. It is not the cortisone per se, but the fact that it covers up what is actually going on. I think a one time injection, not a problem.

http://www.horse-sense.org/archives/20020527181925.php
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

What 2tempe said is exactly my understanding.

The other factor to consider is are you returning the horse immediately to exactly the same work schedule and demand that caused the original problem, or did you inject her, give her some time off, and return her to a reduced or altered work?

The first method is more likely to produce further damage to the joint.

Don't put any stock in stem cell therapy either. It so far is a complete failure at repairing cartilage without massive interventions. There is no cure for arthritis yet.

I'm starting him back slow. He loves work! He stil wants to buck and run at the end of the lunge while he was lame and is no way near retirement. He would be majorly depressed ( I know that nobody said to retire him ,just letting you know a little more about him)

During the lameness exam he was sound on straight lines and very slightly inconsistently off during the lunging phase. He bucked and tried to run off. he was feeling good.

I didn't like the idea of injecting steroids, infact they were my last resort, but I felt horrible that he wasn't able to work. he was still being turned out for about 12 hours at night but still was depressed without a job and I felt that I was doing more damage to his joint by letting him go without doing anything. And i didn't want to keeping buting him as he is a hors I am ulcer suspicious with.

I really wanted to do IRAP first but as I said before I felt I was doing more damage to him while waiting to be able to do IRAP and he was getting depressed.

hopefully it doesn't do more harm

Steroids are very much a double-edged sword. Very potent with many benefits but also many risks. (including ulcers)

But things like IRAP and stem cell therapy are largely unproven and nothing even remotely resembling panaceas. Unfortunately in medicine there are virtually never any treatments that are all benefit and no risk.
    Click here before you buy.