The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Northeast PA (NEPA) or New Jersey Dressage Trainers???? Please!

I recently moved to Scranton, PA with my husband who is a United States Marine on Recruiting Duty. I found a barn & I am leasing a little mare but I really need instruction -- there is very little Dressage in my immediate area. We have a trailer available to us but I have to borrow a truck (weird predicament, right???), which I'm not always able to do so I would need someone in the NEPA or South Jersey area willing to travel to my barn to teach me as much as once a week or as little as once a month, depending on their schedule. I'm literally open to anything & anyone. I've been riding my mare for almost a year & we are at the point where she's ready to move on from Training Level type movements but I cannot do so without help. I don't want to mess her up! There are others at my barn who may be interested in lessons as well. Thank you to anyone who can provide the name & contact information of a trainer. You have no idea how much I'll appreciate it!
    Last edited by MeAndMyMare; Sep. 19, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

You could contact Trudy Race at Over the Hill Farm in Waverly, Pa. That's North of Scranton. I think she is into jumpers now, but certainly has a very good dressage background and wonderful credentials. She also may be able to recommend someone. Here's the link to their facility, but I think they had a fire or something recently and are closed for boarders:

http://www.overthehillfarmpa.com/contact.htm

Why are you looking for a trainer from South Jersey when you are located so far North?

Thanks for your reply, I'll see if she has a recommendation. I would love to compete at USDF shows so I'm looking for someone active on that scene. I was into Eventing for many years & switching my focus to pure Dressage. I'm too much of a chicken to go over the big jumps these days.

This place is about 30 miles from Scranton. I don't know anything about this trainer personally, but she has a very good clinician come in.

http://www.labarredressage.com/michelle

http://www.rhythmandblueshorses.com/index.html

Monika is dedicated and competent. She goes to shows - will be bringing my Gideon to New Jersey Horsepark next month, along with 3 other horses - bringing her horse out at FEI levels for the first time..... She has high expectations, though..... some folks do not like that in a trainer!