The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default An unconventional reason to wear your helmet!

Cantering along in the indoor yesterday, just minding my own, one of the birds who annoyingly nest in the rafters came swooping through a doorway and slammed right into the side of my head! Luckily, I was wearing my certified helmet... or I would have been seriously grossed out.

Disclaimer - No animals were harmed in the making of this tale. The bird flew away, apparently unscathed, and I kept on going, thinking "was that a BIRD that just hit me in the HEAD?!?!?!?!"

Whenever I get picked on for wearing my helmet on trail rides, I just give it a few hours. . .when I hear those same people complaining about getting whopped in the skull with branches or having overhanging limbs or briars snag their hair or hats - while those same branches just bounce off my Troxel Sierra helmet, they stop picking on me for the helmet thing.

I don't wear a helmet just in case I fall off. . .it's great for deflecting stuff that may hit me in the noggin while I'm riding, too.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    Whenever I get picked on for wearing my helmet on trail rides, I just give it a few hours. . .when I hear those same people complaining about getting whopped in the skull with branches or having overhanging limbs or briars snag their hair or hats - while those same branches just bounce off my Troxel Sierra helmet, they stop picking on me for the helmet thing.

I don't wear a helmet just in case I fall off. . .it's great for deflecting stuff that may hit me in the noggin while I'm riding, too.
    Not to mention Banana Spiders!!!!!!!

I once had a bird fly into the side of my head while I was riding in an indoor arena. Quite surprising!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

My dad thinks one should always wear a hardhat (think construction) in the woods so as not to get hit by falling "widow makers" (large branches or trees hanging precariously overhead)

I only have 2 eyeballs b/c I wear glasses. Would have lost one or both long ago to trees & branches long ago.

Funny timing, a friend of mine was out walking with her toddler and had the same thing happen to her- a bird flew into the side of her head today!
    And I have a coworker whose best friend is in a traumatic brain injury rehabilitation center after a car accident in which a tree randomly fell into their car as they were driving down the road. As if my generalized anxiety didn't need an excuse....!

It is a wonder i don't talk myself into wearing a helmet during all waking hours :-)

but of course, we have to remember that thread about LOOKING at your helmet before putting it on, in the chance that a spider is about to become mommy x1000..... all over your head. Omg im itching just remembering that story!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    Cantering along in the indoor yesterday, just minding my own, one of the birds who annoyingly nest in the rafters came swooping through a doorway and slammed right into the side of my head! Luckily, I was wearing my certified helmet... or I would have been seriously grossed out.

Disclaimer - No animals were harmed in the making of this tale. The bird flew away, apparently unscathed, and I kept on going, thinking "was that a BIRD that just hit me in the HEAD?!?!?!?!"
    Had a similar thing happen to us the other day - but instead of flying into my head, it smashed into my horse's head...surprised the heck out of him and he screeched to a halt with a look like WTF just happened?
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/