The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Let's vow that we "Eventers over 50" will soon be calling ourselves "Eventers over 60!"
    13 months to go.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup, just turned 60 last month

Jackie

1 members found this post helpful.

I have more or less taken the past month off of riding, along with the horses. Mick and I ran at Int at VAHT and when we got home, he went out to be a pasture pony for awhile.

I started back this week, and omg, I am SO OUT OF SHAPE. I was doing two point, standing in stirrups for 15-20 minutes at a time in late October, along with keeping one horse Int fit and the other Prel fit. I can barely do 2-5 minutes now. And this morning, I am sore, all from light riding on Mick and Donovan (who is a baby).

So being this age doesn't bother me but I am very much reminded that I have to work harder to be fit and capable of riding at this level. The more I ride, the better.

I do protect myself in some ways. I wear a wrist brace when doing stalls, but my horses are out 24/7 this time of year so that work in minimal. I do no repetitive farm work, but do spend time on the tractor (just regraded my sand arena last week), and I do a lot of walking and my own horse care (grooming, washing, etc etc).

I am now thinking that I need to get back into pilates, which helped immensely last summer/early fall. And walking/jogging are great.

Anyone else working on strength/fitness in order to ride well?

I'm 52 and do between 4-5 stalls daily and all the farmwork here. I'm very thankful for the tractor, though!

I have self-diagnosed tennis elbow. It hasn't gotten to the point to be painful enough to warrant an office visit, but I have been able to keep it at bay by wearing elbow braces whenever doing stalls or heavy lifting. When it starts bothering me (after a hay delivery for example), I wear Back on Track elbow braces at night and it goes away pretty quickly.

My friends recently turned me on to Under Armour Compression gear. I have the winter turtlenecks and I am addicted to them!! Not only are they good for keeping warm with wicking capabilities, but the compression part of it keeps your muscles supported. I don't know how to explain it but I do know it has decreased my muscle soreness. I haven't tried the tights, so I can't comment on how they work. You can find the turtlenecks at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for $25, which is a great price.

2 members found this post helpful.