The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Someday over 60

Let's vow that we "Eventers over 50" will soon be calling ourselves "Eventers over 60!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Thank you! (yes that's me, I'm the only one who has ever sat on her so far).
    I absolutely agree about savoring the little things, it's amazing how little it takes to please me any more. Some of the other accomplishments on this thread are hugely inspirational and broadened my horizons a bit!

I also have a 2012 colt by C.Quito (my last foal, no more!) we can bring the kidlets along together!
    Wonderful, and yes!! Sounds like a plan

And ahbaumgardner Yes, I've often been asked (especially if I happen to be with my teenaged daughter, who is my photographer) whether "my daughter is here riding"?

(I do have teenaged students who ride, but usually when I'm coaching them I am in "mufti", not dressed in boots and breeches! Sheesh.)

The stereotypes abound. And yes, when I competed as an "over 50", it always seemed like everyone in my division was younger than I was

My DH always said "but you are the crafty old veteran" when I would grumble about how ALL the other competitors were young. And healthy. And flexible. And probably "pain free". With fresh legs. Argh!

But HA! Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

I refuse to look in the mirror OR be discouraged by all the younguns around me. Ladies (and the odd gentleman), we shall overcome!!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

4 members found this post helpful.

Default Still trying 58

I loved reading this thread, I started riding at 50 and with the best trainer in the world I did my first Novice CT and plans for training are on the horizon. I've met people my age who are wonderful and filled with so much life and energy that it keeps me thinking I can do this.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    And ahbaumgardner Yes, I've often been asked (especially if I happen to be with my teenaged daughter, who is my photographer) whether "my daughter is here riding"?
    Have to laugh at this because I get a similiar question, and most are surprised when I answer that it is my husband who is competing, and I am the groom!

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, Over 50, but I haven't competed since I aged into the group. My eventer is now retired to playing around (he is 20), and since I am paying college tuition for another 1.5 years, I won't be getting a young horse for at least that long. Do I count if I am not currently competing?

I have started doing Yoga, and I find that that has helped my riding and flexibility a ton, not to mention my posture.

IFG, I think it counts even if one just vividly visualizes riding, clucks to their car when entering traffic and has a dog that stops in its tracks when one says "Whoa". (Need the winking emoticon here. Where did it go?)

You definitely count.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
    I'm 45, still waiting for my "first" horse, and have yet to do a "real" Event. However, plan is to practice, practice, practice now with the rides I have, keep training the kids to be self-sufficient, and hopefully by 50, I'll have that first horse and be riding, like deltawave and others!
    I'm 47 and I've had my first horse for 2 years. Neither of us have done XC - but he jumped out of the ring nicely in a dressage test last summer We seem to be "turning the corner" on dressage and staying round, and we're working on poles and x-rails. My "event" goal is a low-level combined test and we'll go from there.

No, 50 isn't the end of the line but these replies give me something to look forward to and help me feel like I'm in good company.

Thanks FA. I am still riding, or I was before I broke my foot by falling on it (not even near a horse). Right now, I am just waiting to get off crutches so I can get back on the horse. We have had the most wonderful fall weather for trail rides, and I am hobbling around and VERY cranky. Oh, and hoping the over 50 part doesn't impede the healing. Off to drink some milk and quit whining....

Right back at ya' IFG. I had a fall Oct 1 while walking my rising 4yo, and aside from breaking my hip (resulting in a partial hip replacement) I got a major concussion which is not completely healed. This being over 60 stuff is not for the faint of heart if one is going to stay involved with horses! Mr. Frugal looked so crestfallen when I replaced my hard hat (which seriously saved my life), but my argument is that people who have been in car accidents drive again so why wouldn't I ride again?

But I concur that missing what was a perfect autumn was a major bummer. Sigh... Must be patient and attentive to doctor's orders.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Right back at ya' IFG. I had a fall Oct 1 while walking my rising 4yo, and aside from breaking my hip (resulting in a partial hip replacement) I got a major concussion which is not completely healed. This being over 60 stuff is not for the faint of heart if one is going to stay involved with horses! Mr. Frugal looked so crestfallen when I replaced my hard hat (which seriously saved my life), but my argument is that people who have been in car accidents drive again so why wouldn't I ride again?

But I concur that missing what was a perfect autumn was a major bummer. Sigh... Must be patient and attentive to doctor's orders.
    Ooh, you win! I am so sorry. Your husband and my husband could compare cranky support crew war stories LOL. I am sure you know to take care of your head, wait until you have no residual issues. So sorry about the hip. Makes my foot sound like nothing.

Wasn't trying up one up you, and I hope it didn't sound that way. Anything that keeps us from riding is a bad, bad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Wasn't trying up one up you, and I hope it didn't sound that way. Anything that keeps us from riding is a bad, bad thing!
    No, no, didn't come off that way at all! Just made me realize how fortunate I am. Sorry, that didn't come out right. Made me realize that a single fractured meta-tarsal with no surgery is quite minor, and I should quit b*tching. I was a good egg for the first few weeks, but being on limited activities (as I am sure you know) gets old fast. I really hope that your hip and head are healing well. Surgery must have been a major hassle. You keep your horses at home too don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Yes, I've often been asked (especially if I happen to be with my teenaged daughter, who is my photographer) whether "my daughter is here riding"?
    And here is where I have to "name drop". I was at an event with Will Faudree when a person we were talking to ask if he was my son. While numerically he could be, he had to good manners to say "no, we're friends".
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Yes, I keep my horses at home along with 6 others, but in deference to my increasing age I began running my barn as a co-op years ago. As a result, my boarders/ co-op members are responsible for all the barn chores. I get to sit on the couch and eat bonbons. Well... maybe not so much. There are responsibilities I retain, but I love that the system we have results in the barn running as normal and without interruption even when I wind up in the ER.

I have the best barn mates in the world!

At 60 I still event, foxhunt and do jumpers...I plan to continue as long as my horse is sound ....I do have that " talk" with myself at the beginning of every course ....I may never do more than Novice ( he's 17 and slightly broken) but I'm fine with that....I have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Let's vow that we "Eventers over 50" will soon be calling ourselves "Eventers over 60!"
    We can start a new clique!

Filly is getting huge, she's going through a big growth phase right now and is easily 14.2, which is right up there for a mustang. I'm hoping she'll reach 15.1 or .2. Does that seem likely? She's 18 months old right now and all legs. She is such a pretty mover, I stop and watch when it see her trotting or cantering in the pasture - poetry in motion.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Breeds differ, but my connemaras always grow at least a hand after 1 year of age.... and sometimes more. I've had bigger horses grow two hands after age 1, haha! So 15.1 or .2 sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    We can start a new clique!

Filly is getting huge, she's going through a big growth phase right now and is easily 14.2, which is right up there for a mustang. I'm hoping she'll reach 15.1 or .2. Does that seem likely? She's 18 months old right now and all legs. She is such a pretty mover, I stop and watch when it see her trotting or cantering in the pasture - poetry in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    And here is where I have to "name drop". I was at an event with Will Faudree when a person we were talking to ask if he was my son. While numerically he could be, he had to good manners to say "no, we're friends".
    Silly, you needed to say he was your boyfriend.

50+ coming back to riding after a six year hiatus. Foxhunted and did some HT's a lifetime ago; I thought picking up two OTTB's would be a great way to start back at it....lol. One has turned out to be awesome and the other one, well....he'll be my "special project".

I'm hoping to do a few HT's this year and go from there. It's funny - I was just commenting to a riding buddy of mine that I forget how old I am when I'm around horses - it's like I'm still 16!

I have do the math here for my age: Born in 1957, so that makes me....YIKES! THAT is why I don't try to remember my age (plus it changes every year).

Been doing this horse stuff since I was 9. Not all of it eventing by any stretch of the imagination either. Had 3 yrs off when I was in vet school ('79-'81) but even then found a way my senior yr to show for somebody else (not eventing)!

Been doing the eventing insanity for about 20 yrs now (I am NOT doing the math this time ). Thought once upon a younger time I wanted to do Prelim. Then I downgraded to wanting to do a Tr 3-day. Have done one schooling Novice 3-day and right now I am aiming for getting aroound a BN course without 1) a fall (my mare is dirty, and hates ditches) or 2) a walk break!!

Guess the later means I need to find some time to get on that darned treadmill?