The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first attempt at show bows!

My daughter and her pony went to their first show since the lead line days on Saturday. We all had such a great time and DD and her pony were reserve champion in the pleasure pony division. The pony was a saint, my daughter rode her little heart out, but what I was most proud of was what a great sport my DD was! She went up to each competitor in her division, congratulated them on a job well done, complemented their riding skills/style and told them how adorable their ponies were! That's my girl!
    But the reason for my post....I made DD's bows Saturday morning before we headed out to clean up Mr. Pony. I had a blast making them and thought they were cute, but I didn't expect the attention they garnered at the show. I was told by person after person that I should make bows and sell them. I did enjoy making them and I am currently an unemployed graduate student, so.....maybe a good idea? Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bows small.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	36677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bows on white small.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	36680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bow on red mat.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	36681  
    Last edited by JackieBlue; Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

I'd love to see a picture of them on a darker backgound so I can make out more detail, but I think they're lovely!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Darker background coming right up! In the meantime, here they are on a solid white background. The bottom bow is made of lavender colored tulle, next is stiffened cotton pink and white gingham, then standard grosgrain and satin finish ribbons. The centerpiece is a lavender handmade lamp worked glass bead in the shape of a flower. No glue - all wired and sewn, no wire visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bows on white small.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	36678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bow on red mat.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	36679  
    Last edited by JackieBlue; Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Those are gorgeous!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I like that they are different than the others that I have seen out there.

I'd buy some when my niece starts showing in a couple of years, so why not? Try a few on ebay to start, see what happens!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

I've been making my daughters, too! (I don't have enough time nor patience to make it a business, tho!) We could never find the colors we wanted from other pro-bow-makers. Now, she has all custom colors for all her jackets and shirts.

Very pretty. Etsy is calling!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

For sure you can sell those. Also, look into making them and marketing to the all star cheer market as well. My daughter does this and we wear virtually the same bow but pay $25 PER BOW (mostly they only use a singular bow) for competition cheer bows.
    Last edited by RumoursFollow; Sep. 19, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Make an etsy page, business cards and have a blast!

Those are super cute bows! I really like the contrast between the different types of ribbon that you picked out. I imagine you would do very well selling your bows on Etsy.

My 5 yr old daughter is showing in her first Leadline class on Saturday and I made these bows last night.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps818a1271.jpg

I'm NOT the crafty type, so I'm surprised that I was able to make them. I plan to shorten them a good bit so her number isn't obscured. Her next schooling show is in October so I picked up some cute Halloween ribbon from Michaels. I think I might have a new hobby on my hands...

those are beautiful! But I'm having a hard time believing you're not the crafty type. I hope you and your daughter have an amazing time on Saturday!

so I know nothing about hunters and the bows are adorable, but are they supposed to be so big and dangly?

Wink

Coming from a dressage background, I don't know much about hunters either. We're just doing leadline at local schooling shows and a few C shows this season, so I think we are okay. I had just finished making those bows and tried them on for size. I'm going to snip 3 Hello Kitties off the ends so they don't cover her number. At 5 years old and doing her first show, if DD smiles more because she feels pretty in her bows- I'm happy. As she gets older, the bows will get smaller.

Your bows are adorable. I was at the KHP about a month ago maybe and there was a tent/ booth store there that was selling show boys and yours are way cute and right on par- some of the bows were like $100 for the set!? :O

This is making me wish that I got to wear sweet bows when I was little!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Yes, they are good looking bows. But, you know something? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just do not like the trend of huge bows on riders--to me it is distracting. I liked it better when it was just a simple small bow.

I hear you, x. In fact, a few weeks before I made these I was telling a friend how the pony mom's who slap these flamboyant bows on their wee one's backs drive me nuts.
    We all think we know what we'd do in a given situation. But it's anybody's guess how we'll act when we're actually IN that situation. 'Turns out I'm quite The Pony Mom, myself. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    Yes, they are good looking bows. But, you know something? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just do not like the trend of huge bows on riders--to me it is distracting. I liked it better when it was just a simple small bow.
    Exactly.
    But I had that odd girl that when she showed ponies (school shows), even then had her hair up in hunter hair. Maybe it was the barn she was at and this goes back maybe 13 years but I don't recall big bows like I see now.

Though they sure are pretty!!!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

They are really pretty, and at that age, if it makes the kid happy then why not?? Though waaaayyy back in the day when my sis and I did this stuff (she started younger than I did - the littlest always wants to follow her big sisters!), my sister wore a single tiny bow on each braid.

Congratulations on a great show for your daughter, and what an example she is setting!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

"tent/ booth store there that was selling show boys"

really? There is a market out there!