The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Running Order

There is a post on the H/J Forum announcing the purchase of Peter Charles's Olympic horse by the Springsteens. If that has been in the works for quite a while, it certainly could be a huge factor in why the Springsteens decided to move out of eventing. Making that sort of investment in a daughter's future would make anyone, even the richest, sell other assets that weren't in the business plan.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Is Doug losing the ride on RO?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I don't think Jessica Springsteen has ever been into eventing or had any intention of eventing. I think they had a horse that was better suited for eventing and sent him in that direction. I also think they had planned to sell him as he definitely wasn't going to fit their program. My impression was that Running Order was a one off thing for them. They do jumpers, not eventing.

I also don't think Bruce Springsteen is hard up for cash. If he can sell out Nationals Stadium in hours for a concert, he's doing fine. He's on tour and raking in the money. Well deserved in my opinion, but I'm a fan from back to the early 70's.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

No not money issues in the sense that the Springsteen's needed the money in order to purchase Jessica's new horse.

Nancy Jaffer just did a write up on Doug and RO here http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...marks_a_n.html.

It's unfortunate it didn't work out. Doug made the horse what he is. People on the H/J forum are congratulating the Springsteen's for buying a "team horse" and supporting the US efforts to field a strong team for the WEG and Rio yet the Springsteen's are selling one that could be a strong candidate for a team horse by that time.
    Five Star Tack

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Is Doug losing the ride on RO?
    Where have YOU been ? There is another thread on here about it.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post

Right....I thought that was fairly old news.

Rich people don't stay rich (and win Olympic medals) by keeping expensive investments that aren't relevant to their goals. I'm sympathetic to Doug in that no one wants to lose a ride, but he had a great run on the horse with the Springsteens paying the tab much of the way ... not a bad way to make a name for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Not on this forum... I actually only peeked in because I saw this thread as the most recent and wanted to see what was up with him and Doug.
    VW sucks.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks, viney, I wasn't having luck finding it. That sucks... Doug is just an incredible rider. I saw him and RO at Stuart this year. They made a tough combination (big rolltop, one stride to way offset big rolltop) look as easy as trotting crossrails. When I'm a millionaire, I'm sending all my horses to Doug for training.
    VW sucks.

I'm kinda of surprised they are not letting him put together a syndicate to buy the horse.

Seems like this is an instance our team managers might have been some help earlier on...perhaps even across disciplines (i.e. having someone in the jumper world reach out and explain how this pair may be a good team prospect). Would be nice if this was done more often....if money or other issues really are not at the root of the matter.

Of course we don't really know what was said or done and in the end....the horse belongs to the owner.

I have very little doubt that Doug will be back in the mix for team consideration in relatively short order.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I'm kinda of surprised they are not letting him put together a syndicate to buy the horse.

Seems like this is an instance our team managers might have been some help earlier on...perhaps even across disciplines (i.e. having someone in the jumper world reach out and explain how this pair may be a good team prospect). Would be nice if this was done more often....if money or other issues really are not at the root of the matter.

Of course we don't really know what was said or done and in the end....the horse belongs to the owner.

I have very little doubt that Doug will be back in the mix for team consideration in relatively short order.

I believe he was offered the chance to form a syndicate and could not come up with enough members in the (presumed) time frame he was given.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I believe he was offered the chance to form a syndicate and could not come up with enough members in the (presumed) time frame he was given.

I took the blog to say that he got the syndication together....but a better offer for the horse was made than the syndicate could meet. In other words, a different buyer came on the scene willing to pay more.

If that is true...and that buyer is not US (as is the rumor on this BB) that is just a bummer for US eventing. But an owner has a right to sell their horse to whomever they want.

ETA: What surprised me was that it seemed they sold the horse to the highest bidder...rather than trying to let it stay with the rider---especially if money isn't really why you as an owner were selling. But as I said...they own the horse and can do what they want.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    ETA: What surprised me was that it seemed they sold the horse to the highest bidder...rather than trying to let it stay with the rider---especially if money isn't really why you as an owner were selling. But as I said...they own the horse and can do what they want.
    If you're selling the horse, why not sell to the highest bidder? Don't know why that surprises you, its good business. Most likely money was an issue, in that they wanted to purchase a new jumper for their daughter and Olympic gold medalists don't come cheap. Even rich people have a limit as to how much they want to spend on their horsey habit.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    If you're selling the horse, why not sell to the highest bidder? Don't know why that surprises you, its good business. Most likely money was an issue, in that they wanted to purchase a new jumper for their daughter and Olympic gold medalists don't come cheap. Even rich people have a limit as to how much they want to spend on their horsey habit.

....and stay rich by being astute business people. I do not know any rich folks that are keen to do business based on emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    ....and stay rich by being astute business people. I do not know any rich folks that are keen to do business based on emotion.

I do. People vested in the horse who want to make some money but also want to see it stay with the rider. Besides...astute rich people do not invest in horses to make money. Everyone knows the only way to make a million dollars investing in horses is to start with two million.

You do not always sell to the highest bidder in business or horses...things other than getting the most money can and do motivate people. I highly doubt the syndicate was buying the horse for nothing....so Iwas not talking about giving a horse away, but I've known many wealthy people who have done just that....because it was more important to them that the horse stay with the rider who was vested in it than making a bigger buck.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 19, 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Agreed. The highest bidder is going to get the horse 90% of the time. Bruce is a businessman, and to him, A) everything is for sale for the right price B) if he has no use for it, why should he keep it C) if someone is going to offer more, he's going to take it.
    I do feel for Doug, I really do, but business is business.

Or, looking at it from another prospective - horse isn't going to be of any use for you, your daughter, or any other interest - so mine as well recoup as much money as possible in this lost 'business' venture? It might have been fun while it lasted, but a waste of resources, ultimately. No matter how you look at it - the owners were spending money (perhaps another resource just as valuable) on some aspect of this horse, tangible or not to the us onlookers. It's depleting some resource(s) of theirs - accountants, lawyers, cash, time, employees time, ?PR stress due to dangers of sport, etc - with very little reward (it would seem). Sell it off to the highest bidder, or the next best thing (which could have been the highest-bidder). It's hard to say how they valued RO, but I can't blame anyone for accepting $ for an animal such as a horse, particularly when you are relatively far removed from it's stable.

So it sounds like Springsteen bought a horse to be a jumper, he flunked out, she found him a new niche and supported him while he got well established in it, and then sold him on to a buyer willing to invest a chunk in him. She's recycling $ into her sport - jumpers - and out of someone else's sport - eventing.

I'm not seeing anything all that offensive here, and would give credit to Springsteen for doing the right thing by the horse. Why should she support an eventer? I totally agree that it's lousy for Doug (who I don't know at all, but who seems to have tons of horses to ride), but really, it's no surprise that horses owned by others get sold by others. Any barn rat learns to deal with that at 15 - and it's probably the reason some of us went to grad school and own our own!

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    So it sounds like Springsteen bought a horse to be a jumper, he flunked out, she found him a new niche and supported him while he got well established in it, and then sold him on to a buyer willing to invest a chunk in him. She's recycling $ into her sport - jumpers - and out of someone else's sport - eventing.

I'm not seeing anything all that offensive here, and would give credit to Springsteen for doing the right thing by the horse. Why should she support an eventer?
    Bingo!