The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would you expect to be able to buy for 6-8K for a large pony in the midwest?

So just seeing what people out there would expect to get paying between $6,000-$8,000 for a large pony.

Well broke, trail rides, show record 4H, county fairs, western events, if it jumps it does local shows and probably doesn't have a change, generic breed.

Or a very very nice prospect.

That was my thought too! So if you saw one that was a lot nicer then described above, and only needed changes finished out and had show miles in both hunters and ct and would make nice large B circuit or small A circuit hunter, would the lower price make you think something was wrong with it?

No! Honestly some people just need to sell! Plus without solid changes that brings down the value by 10k in my books. Plus some people just don't know how to price a good project when they see one, or may not see the potential. A specific ad would help in this case, but I'd say go look it if you want it! There are lots of different situations in which a pony would be priced that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    No! Honestly some people just need to sell! Plus without solid changes that brings down the value by 10k in my books. Plus some people just don't know how to price a good project when they see one, or may not see the potential. A specific ad would help in this case, but I'd say go look it if you want it! There are lots of different situations in which a pony would be priced that way.
    I sent you a PM.

Very nice 3 year old prospect. W/T/C and jumping little crossrails.

Because show Ponies are shown by children...who frequently want to move on to horses as they mature physically and ridingwise-or get too tall- an unproven young Pony prospect is hard to sell. Long way to 3' with a Large with anything but a Pony jock and the money is in those division quality Ponies. Not the more modest types.

True anywhere.

Far as OPs question? I'd think that one was sensibly priced IF it can model halfway decently and looks to have the step. Probably over at 8k in the midwest markets if it lacks the above attributes. Certainly not assume there was "something wrong with it", more like honestly priced in a sea of unproven young Ponies.

IF it gets some show mileage under a kid, that price can go up big time.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I was thinking a solid, but not fancy for that price range. As an aside, I am a big believer in finding ponies to lease. There are handfuls of very nice ponies who have (usually wealthy) owners that have outgrown them but can't sell them because they are their first pony, ect.

One of maybe 3 categories:

1. Fancy, young prospect. Broke w/t/c flashy, good mover. Maybe popping over cross rails.

2. Younger pony, 3-9 possibly, cute mover/jumper but not eye popping. Maybe doing small schooling shows, jumping around reliably without finished changes.

3. Teenager pony that has taught a kid or two the ropes. Solid citizen, maybe moving down a level to short stirrup. W/t/c jumps around has a lead change.