The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Was it Right for These Mules to be Euthanized?

What sayeth the CotHers? I mean really, you go out to find old mules to euthanize so you can have an exhibit? Then again, if the only option was the slaughter house, well maybe it was okay.

http://kfyo.com/mules-euthanized-for...sts-speak-out/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

While I don't LIKE the idea of buying old mules just to use them for a display, it was a humane death for 2 animals well past their prime, apparently soon the be on their way to Mexico.

I don't see anything wrong with it if they were really supposed to be slaughtered otherwise. Sure was a nicer way to die and they didn't suffer.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Why not? I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

SAFE TEH MULES!!

sheesh, 28 and 32....do what with them? Put them in wheels chairs?

Not particular crazy about the general idea, but golly, it's no like they didn't try another route or got young and healthy ones.

This way these two oldtimers will continue to educate people for probably longer than even their amazingly long lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Christ. This is what's wrong with horse keeping in America. That *anyone* would be all up in arms about giving these old mules a kind end is totally ridiculous.

I think that finding a pair of mules in the slaughter pipeline, purchasing them and having them euthanised is an incredibly kind and thoughtful act, since they were not able to locate any taxidermied animals for sale.

I don't see anything wrong with it. They purchased the animals and they humanly put them down. They did not steal the mules and them make them stuffed animals. I think people (not on this board, well, ok, some on this board, are too sensitive. Mostly the people commenting on the new article)

But to be honest, won't it have been cheaper to purchase fiberglass model mules? Unless the taxidermist did it pro bono, isn't taxidermy pricey for such large animals? Museums operate on a shoe string budget.

Ambassador mules. They stuff lions and bears for museums - why not mules?

Mules are beautiful and I'm happy the museum's visitors will get to see the real deal - and not an old poorly stuffed pair, but a match with a modern taxidermist touch. It will bring history to life, not a Chuck-E-Cheese plastic animation, computer generated video, or 2D Photos.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it. They purchased the animals and they humanly put them down. They did not steal the mules and them make them stuffed animals. I think people (not on this board, well, ok, some on this board, are too sensitive. Mostly the people commenting on the new article)

But to be honest, won't it have been cheaper to purchase fiberglass model mules? Unless the taxidermist did it pro bono, isn't taxidermy pricey for such large animals? Museums operate on a shoe string budget.
    I don't think a fiberglass model gives he same feel.
    maybe in the case of Misty it would though.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I don't see anything wrong with it either. I was reading the comments. Murdering a mule?? The vet should 'loose' (when will some folks learn the dif between 'lose' and 'loose'?) their license(s)? We're barbaric for not letting them get on a bus to Mexico and be stabbed to death?? OMG, they're going on display to be educational!! What??

Criminy.

Actually, I do wonder about finding an already dead pair. The Museum of the Horse in Ruidoso has stuffed horses aplenty. I don't remember if they had any mules or not. I'm telling you, the stuffed horses were kind of spooky if you ask me...dunno, just something about it...*jitters*...
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I also don't have an issue with this.

Vet schools also have been known to do this to allow students to practice euthenasia, necropsy and surgeries and anatomy.

I think as animal owners we owe it to our pets to euthanize an animal when the quality of life of the animal has degraded to the point where the animal is suffering. I get more upset with animal owners who refuse to entertain the idea and their pet is clearly suffering and in pain.

These mules would have suffered and been in much more pain being shipped in a slaughter trailer and entering the loop for dog food.

What a great lesson in doing the right thing for the animal and allow that animal to have dignity and allow it's life to continue to serve a purpose.

From the FB page trying to get the euthanasia stopped- so taie it as you may...

UPDATE (09-17-12 / 5:45 PM EST) According to a press release just posted by the American Museum of Agriculture, the two
    mules have already been killed. There is some doubt about the truthfulness of that statement, however, since the museum's director told an advocate only a few hours ago that they would be put down on Wednesday, Sept 19th.

ORIGINAL CALL TO ACTION:
    Two live healthy mules have been purchased for $3000.00 to be killed and stuffed for a display at the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock,Texas. They are two healthy,trained mules 10-12 years old.The director is claiming that they are old and decrepit, but that fact is disputed by knowledgeable mule experts.

The mules are slated to be hauled to a taxidermist in Brady, TX by Wednesday, September 19, 2012.

Those who oppose this plan are encouraged to call the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock, TX at 806-744-3786 to express your opposition.

'Save the Lubbock Horses' was founded by Elaine Nash.
    Definitely 10 -12 years old does change it and paying $3K!!!

I would think that if they really wanted to they could have found somebody to donate that was planning to euthanize anyway OR worked with vets in the area to find a client that had to euthanize. If it's true that they spent 3k they could have done a lot better on craigslist or an auction house and $1500 each isn't slaughter price... which means they wouldn't have gone to slaughter.

And if they decided to kill them a day early, so they could get by with less media scrutiny... well... that's legal, no laws against euthanizing mules... but, kind of coward and not the most ethical choice in my book.

Personally, I was always a fan of the "LIVING" history museums. I'm not in the area, but if I was, I wouldn't go because of the mule issue. I also wouldn't pay money to see exhibits made up entirely of taxadermied critters... not my cup of tea.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Ah, the lady running the save the pony thing has an AOL email!
    Nuff said!

Someone in the family paid $10,000 for a guaranteed Bull Elk hunt and then has the thing's head stuffed. Why make a big deal out of $3,000 for a matched mule pair. Mules are not even on the Endangered List of Species. It's ok to kill and mount animals not on this list, especially for educational purposes.

On a related note, a friend's truck hit a Great Horned Owl, and killed him. To this day the owl is in his freezer because no taxidermist will touch it to mount (illegal). It has to be donated to a museum that will pay to mount the owl for educational purposes and he hasn't found a museum that wants it.

Good lord, people need to get their facts straight before jumping all over this. I find it beyond unbelievable the museum paid $3000 (in Texas, with these hay prices?!) Lubbock is NOT a big town, I doubt the museum has that kind of cash to throw around. Sounds very suspiciously like the advocates just want to make their case sound better. I just don't get it. Thousands of horses are cruelly slaughtered every year but god forbid 2 mules get humanely euthanized (even if they were young and healthy, at least it is a quiet end!). People need to redirect their efforts to more important matters
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Here's another article that says the museum did pay 3k- http://www.examiner.com/article/texa...or-art-exhibit

I can't see mules in their 30s costing 1500 each!!! Something isn't adding up... and if they did indeed buy them from a KB then they really got taken...

Their FB page is lit up... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ameri...e/187087493451 Here is the museum's version-

For Immediate Release:

The American Museum of Agriculture is dedicated to creating a world-class facility that exhibits and explains the growth and development of agriculture in the Southern High Plains region of the United States. As part of our efforts, we have contracted with Museum Arts of Dallas, Texas, to aid in the design and construction of several of our featured exhibits.

One of those
    exhibits is a McCormick reaper that has been meticulously restored and is on permanent loan to the Museum from the Glasscock County FFA chapter. With the assistance of Museum Arts, we have installed a very realistic exhibit showing the reaper and its operation. To complete this exhibit, Museum Arts strongly recommended that we obtain professionally preserved mules in full harness to allow our visitors to understand how essential animal power was to this stage of American agriculture. Our board did consider the use of fiberglass replicas but were advised that the impact of the exhibit would be substantially diminished. Mr. Phil Paramore of Museum Arts said, “The reason that you use a real animal is to most accurately show the way the activity was done at the time. A fiberglass replica just doesn’t convey the same message. When we can find animals that were scheduled to be destroyed anyway and then immortalize them in an exhibit, we can really show their importance in the development of agriculture.”

After an exhaustive but fruitless search for preserved, exhibit-quality animals, one of our board members learned that an area horse and mule trader had purchased a pair of mules that would fit our needs. According to the owner, the animals had reached the advanced ages of about 28 and 32, respectively, and were no longer sound or strong enough for normal use. Had the Museum not purchased these animals, the next option for the trader would have been to sell them to be transported into Mexico for slaughter for dog food.

Instead, the mules were humanely euthanized by a licensed veterinarian and will become excellent educational exhibits for years and years to come.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I'm more upset that they paid 3000. for the mules. Hopefully it is a private museum using their own funds, not taxpayer funds. I also hope that the purchasers are in the market for a show horse if I ever decided to sell!

The mules had a humane end. Better that than the alternative.

There's nothing wrong with it at all.

I don't know about the 3k, though. That seems awfully high.

Then again, it's peanuts compared to how much it will cost to get them mounted.

Much ado about nothing.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    There's nothing wrong with it at all.

I don't know about the 3k, though. That seems awfully high.

Then again, it's peanuts compared to how much it will cost to get them mounted.

Much ado about nothing.

well, you know how it is: when you REALLY want something and are bend over the barrel, the price goes up accordingly.