The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    And the teacher becomes the student. Well done!

Where's the little clapping hands icon?
    Thanks and by the way you are a really, really, really good writer. I copied your "Battle With The Monster" and I'm putting it up on my kitchen cupboard. I "bought some "real estate" this weekend at Senaca.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows what we're talking about. Not enough beer yet and or calgon.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

ACMEeventing is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Aw, thanks eventer55! My non-horsey sister also posted it on her kitchen cabinet for motivation. I was like "do you even know what a Swedish over is?" She said no, but it sounded bad

Sorry you got lawn darted at Seneca. That bites.

And @ Pegasusmom - moving near the 1st of November. Give me 5 minutes and that date will change again Can't wait to watch you drive the carriage by! I'll be your support crew like at marathons. When I see you coming I'll hold out a plastic cup with some form of bubbly liquid refreshment. You can take a slug then pour the rest on your head. Of course, you'll smell like beer the rest of the day but there's worse things.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Not enough beer yet.
    sorry did my horse drink it all at the water complex?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'm sitting here pondering the cost/benefit analysis for a bath in Theakston's Old Peculier which is once again available in the US. Plenty of bubbles, probably excellent for the skin, Would probably cure all joint ailments. And so much fun to drink and drown in. I'd die happy.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 27, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney, isn't Old Peculiar found in the bloodlines of excellent jumpers? I seem to remember a thread about that...
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

ACMEeventing is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Viney, isn't Old Peculiar found in the bloodlines of excellent jumpers? I seem to remember a thread about that...
    Sorry Frugal, you must be confusing it with the lesser known Fernhill Old Peculiar.

And Viney, I like your style. You can soak and sip with minimal effort. Genius, just genius.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Indeed, Old PeculiEr (not to be confused with Fernhill Old PeculiAr) was a very influential sire in the foundation days of the American Thoroughbred. Born in Yorkshire, a deep liver chestnut with blonde mane and tail, he was imported to the Virginia in Pre-Revolutionary days. He is not in the GSB, as he was one of those exports to America who was not deemed fit to be considered an "aristocratic" English thoroughbred. However, it must be noted that he is famous for his strength, soundness and very sweet disposition. Because of his unusual strength, which came from near perfect conformation, he is occasionally seen today in jumpers and is well loved by knowledgeable eventer riders, who have been known to dance on tables when he is present.

In Dosage, he is generally considered to be in the Stout category.

HOWEVER, given the paucity of the historical records, there are some who deny that Old Peculier was even a thoroughbred, since he seems to lack the light and elegant characteristics of the breed. These dissenters would argue that like at least one other stallion who had an impact on the early TB, he was a British draft, not entirely unlike the modern Irish Draught who are generally considered Stout.

It is believed that his breeder was related in some way to the current Samuel Smith.

Snoopy can probably verify some of the above.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 28, 2012 at 09:41 AM.

Viney, have you ever explored Old Peculier's connection with the Old Speckled Hen line? (The latter generally not found in the US except in the offspring of Smithwick's.) I don't think there's any overlap with the Grey Goose line, but I would defer to your greater knowledge.

And I thought his breeder was related to Samuel Adams?
    Last edited by frugalannie; Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

There may well be some connection between Old Peculier and Old Speckled Hen. He is a good bit stronger than she, as one expect of a male; and while her disposition at the finish is said to be dry, his is definitely on the sweet side.

Samuel Adams might have emulated some elements of the breeding recipe that produced Old Peculier. His mares' production of Old Peculier type horses has been extremely small but of top quality.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    There may well be some connection between Old Peculier and Old Speckled Hen. He is a good bit stronger than she, as one expect of a male; and while her disposition at the finish is said to be dry, his is definitely on the sweet side.

Samuel Adams might have emulated some elements of the breeding recipe that produced Old Peculier. His mares' production of Old Peculier type horses has been extremely small but of top quality.
    Oh great, now I'm thirsty !

'scuse me, Flying Ponies. That's not thirst: that's research.