The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oral joint supplements vs Adequan

I have a high mileage teenage gelding.

Currently have him on an oral joint supplement. He starts his work out a little stiff but warms up out of it pretty quickly. He seems to be most comfortable when left on the loading dose of the supplement so that's what I leave him on.

The barn I grew up in and learned from did either oral supplements or joint injections. I want to avoid injecting the joints. I know they go well most of the time, but I've heard of just enough going wrong that I'm wary of it.

I was thinking of trying him on Adequan instead of an oral supplement- I'm comfortable giving IM injections, and I'd love to get him down to fewer supplements in case they are contributing to his tendency to be ulcer prone

I'm spending about $300 in joint supplements per year as it is...

If you've tried replacing joint supplements with Adequan, could you share your experience?

I've replaced my ineffective oral sups with Pentosan
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have used adequan with success. I've been told the 7 doses 4 days apart is the best way to go for the best results and hats what I did. I can't say how long it lasted, but I think it depends on the horse and workload. From what I've heard most do a round 1-2 times per year. I think it's worth a try, but the pentosan is also interesting, I've never tried that.

Oral joint supplements = feeding your horse dollar bills every day, and expecting to see positive results.

Go with Adequan or Pentosan.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I disagree that oral supplements do nothing. I just started my 3rd horse on smartflex senior and after about 10 days he is more forward. I have my doubts about most of it and do worry that I'm throwing away money with supplements, but sometimes it does help.

I have had tremendous results with a combination of SmartPak joint sups and Flex Force -- 100 mg of HA every day. I've been able to stop giving Adequan entirely and haven't had to inject hocks in two years for my 19-year-old mare.

Definitely the odd horse will really show improvement on a quality oral supplement (like the Cosequin products), but the best bang for your bucks will be an injectable drug like Adequan, Legend, or Pentosan.

I disagree that oral supplements do nothing - I think the wrong ones do nothing. I have a 23yo Percheron/TB who showed very significant improvement in her shoulder arthritis and general stiffness when put on Recovery EQ. She went off it for a while and the symptoms/problems definitely returned and it was noticeable enough that someone who didn't know she wasn't on the supplement anymore was able to notice the decrease in mobility. She still remains rideable and we have never injected anything anywhere. I know quite a few other older horses who show similar improvements on Recovery EQ so I don't think it is just "the odd horse", but I do think choosing the right supplement is critical.

While there is not a plethora of info on oral joint supps, there has been legitimate research done on a few. These include MSM, ASU, and glucosamine. I use Platinum Performance CJ and can see a difference within seven days for my navicular gelding. And no, I'm not just imagining him getting better. I have already tried almost every other supp. on the market and never noticed any difference.

But I am all for the research behind Pentosan as well. Works very efficiently IM. But as far as Adequan goes, isn't most of their research based on IA administration? Not a lot of research into the IM injections is there?

I tried oral supplements with little success. I decided to try Adequan and noticed a tremendous improvement.

I'm also in the boat that I disagree that oral supplements do nothing. I know many don't believe they work, but I have seen success. Now that being said I have also used some that didn't work.

I originally had my horse on regular Corti-flx and it did well but with the smartpaks and adding MSM I was trying to downside and lower my cost. So I switched to Smartpaks Cosequin. I had him on it a couple of months and started noticing a "popping" sound when I picked up his back legs to clean his hooves. I compared what I was giving him and noticed the new supplement had no HA. So once again back to the drawing board. The old one had it and I never heard the noise before. So I switched to Grand HA Synergy and never heard that noise again along with a horse that recovered better after a long show weekend. I loved the stuff.

I did recently, 3 weeks ago, start my horse on SmartTendon based on the reviews and have to say I am VERY impressed. My horse was sound the other day walk/trot/canter...he had a dumb moment that was quickly stopped, but he never took a lame step. I was weary about what the next day would be like. He has a mild tear check ligament and suspensory and he was sound and no swelling re-occured to his antics (least to say he hasnt left his stall since).

I definitely stand by the oral supplements but I also think you have to find what works for your horse and is absorbed. What one will work for others may not work for you!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I have my mare on both the Corta-flx liquid as well as once monthly Adequan injections.

I dont know whether this is just a sales pitch or scientific but I read:

"PENTOSAN EQUINE is particularly effective, and displays synergy with, concurrent use of COSEQUIN EQUINE (Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate supplement), to provide the essential raw materials for joint repair and maintenance. "

Which would seem to suggest supplements would boost the effects of the pentosan (not sure about the adequan)??

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    I dont know whether this is just a sales pitch or scientific but I read:

"PENTOSAN EQUINE is particularly effective, and displays synergy with, concurrent use of COSEQUIN EQUINE (Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate supplement), to provide the essential raw materials for joint repair and maintenance. "

Which would seem to suggest supplements would boost the effects of the pentosan (not sure about the adequan)??
    I tried to ask the same thing before, but my post fell by the wayside en route somewhere.

Two vets have told me the same thing as quoted here. Pentosan boosts the joint’s cartilage repair and is more effective with an increased supply of G/C available for building cartilage. But what form of G/C administration is currently possible or recommended? I’ve seen vials of G/C for IM injection, and heard from one vet plus some posters on this board (can't look up the thread at the moment) that IM is much more effective than oral supps. But I haven’t found G/C IM available for sale at Valley Vet type sites. Is it available IM in the US, at least from vets? Or are just the oral supps available? Or does it not make a difference?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I think it is trial and error for every horse - no one regime is the best for all horses. Doesn't hurt to try Adequan (except your pocketbook) and see if you like it better than the oral joint sups.

I never was a believer in oral joint supplements. Been trying to manage my teenage jumper who has started out stiff since he was 9. We've done joint injections (hock, stifle and back at various times), we've done Adequan, we've tried Legend and Polyglycan, we've done chiro, and we've been on Pentosan. Nothing really made a significant difference that was long-lived - even after joint injections, the stiffness was back within 2 weeks.

I read a scientific paper that recently came out on help for arthritis in horses and it mentioned Cosequin ASU as one of the few things that made a measurable difference in the chemical composition of the joint fluid. The paper was not particularly high on Adequan or other systemic treatments - no data showing they do anything. So I thought - what the heck...I will try it for 2 months (reg dose, no loading dose bc I didn't want to pay the money)...and if it works...great...if not, I will stop the supplement. I truly expected absolutely no change.

Well...what do you know...six weeks into starting Cosequin ASU...the stiffness that has been there for 4+ years is now G.O.N.E. I am shocked - nothing else has changed (feed, routine, work load) and no other therapies added. No clue why this stuff helps and the other stuff didn't. I am just glad it does.

So just try and try again until you find something that works for your guy.

My horse had fetlock surgery at a referral clinic last year and I specifically asked the head surgeon about injections vs. oral for after-care/maintenance. His response was that anything delivered directly to the "area of need" was going to be most effective - i.e., injection directly to the joint in question would be most effective. Then in descending order of impact were IV injections and IM injections, followed by oral supplements. Point being that something that could make its way more directly to the area needing support would be more effective than something given in a more generalized manner. Following his logic the Adequan should be more effective than oral. FWIW. (I'm leaving Pentosan out only because I'm not familiar with it and it didn't come up during my discussion with Doc.)
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.