The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default General Indoor temporary stall question

I am going to zone finals where the temporary stalls are on concrete and I feel like I should put some type of mat or something under the shavings.

When it comes to temporary stalls at horse shows- what do you put down, if anything, under your shavings? If it is a mat, where do you get them? I know I can get them at our local supply store but they are really heavy and will need multiple ones to put down to cover the space. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Some people will take mats to these types of shows, but they are heavy and you need to have a good way to transport them. Me....well I just put down 8-10 bags of shavings (depending on the size of the stall) and I find that is ample deep enough to keep my horse safe and comfortable.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

^^

While mats would be ideal (and you can find the lighter weight ones, I think they're called Mighty Lite mats) they are expensive and cumbersome. When we have to bed on concrete (luckily only at one venue around here), we just bed extra deep and pack feet at night if necessary. I might have a different answer if I were bedding on concrete on a regular basis, but for one show just bed extra deep and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Celeritas; Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
    friend of bar.ka

I use Soft Rides on their feet. And if the shavings are fluffy, don't "overclean" the stalls, ie, let the bottom get packed.
    friend of bar.ka

We use the thickest foam insulation panels we can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. They're usually about 2" and come in 4 x 8 sheets. Easy to cut and fit in the stall. Then bed with 10 - 12 bags of shavings.

We use to use this stuff called Celtex. Sold it at the hardware store. Just lay it down and duct taped it together.

We used to bring these little 2x2 foot mats that locked together. They weren't thick, but they helped. They only cost about $40 bucks for enough to cover a stall- but they didn't last forever. We don't currently do any shows with concrete stabling.

Foam insulation! Great idea! I will have to remember that if I ever have a horse founder, stall resting, etc. it could be helpful in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    Foam insulation! Great idea! I will have to remember that if I ever have a horse founder, stall resting, etc. it could be helpful in many situations.
    We are at the Quarter horse Congress on concrete for almost 3 weeks and they have been a lifesaver!

It's not my favorite thing in the whole wide world (I prefer rubber mats in any context, regardless of the bedding) but my horses currently live on concrete-based stalls. They are heavily bedded with straw and have had no adverse reactions. It's fluffy, cheap, easy to clean. YMMV, however, as the straw is used in this barn because it's an old cow barn with slightly slanted floors that allow for excellent urine drainage down the channels.

It gets tricky to clean, but a straw/shavings mix for the duration of the show might help with the fluffy AND absorbent angle you might want, especially if you have the time to clean it or the finances to support stripping daily or every other daily

In the past I have brought pellets (about 5 bags)soaked them and put those down then shavings on top. the wet pellets expand and pack pretty well.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I have one who's legs swell on concrete and one who sleeps a ton and ends up scraping his hocks. I put down a half a bale of straw under plenty of savings. Works great. Like the foam insulation idea... does it not compress under their weight too much?

Go to Sam's Club or Costco and get a couple of the interlocking Grease-Proof Anti-Fatique mats. They're only 3 X 3 so easy to lift & move.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Zone finals are usually one day, your horse will spend a limited time in the stall.
    I use extra bedding for a short stay and never had a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.Since this was our first year,I really didn't anticipate having to think about this, but its a good problem to have.

I plan to do indoors and more overnight shows this year so I'm willing to purchase something as long as it makes sense, they are easy to assemble and most importantly, makes the princess happy.

some shows have stall mat rentals....

http://www.rentastallmat.com/
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org